Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's a good job we keep winning

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The days of our closest rivals slipping up seem to have gone. I've always been wary of SCC and Hudds, but you can now add Peterborough to that list. If it hadn't been for Bridcutt last Saturday, plus a few slices of luck (esp the own goal) on Tuesday, we'd only be five points clear of third place....with the potential for that to have reduced to TWO points this Tuesday.

It's great to be 9 points clear of Posh with a game in hand, but the way the fixtures have piled up, and the current form of SCC, Hudds and Pboro, mean things could still change round quite quickly.

Whilst I'm not worried, I'm certainly not counting any chickens.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Peterborough have been nothing short of sensational since Ferguson returned. Delighted to have taken 6 points off them. I'd be more worried about playing them than any of our other rivals tbh. I think it will come down to us, Southampton and Peterborough for the top 2 places.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our GD is effectively like another point to us. So I cannot see any reason for concern provided we keep playing as we can , which I am sure Gus will insist on.

Without wishing to sound arrogant or taking anything for granted I think that the other tyeams are all playing for the 2nd promotion spot and they realise that although they wouldnt admit it obviously.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Good post,there is no way this is done and dusted,Saints seem to be winning away (bar a freak result at Walsall where they dominated)as well as at home.Posh seem unstoppable and thank god we played them in Fergusons first game back,even then they dominated for the last half hour.Huddersfield i can see dropping points but again they have become consistent and now have the habit of winning away.
Like you say,it is just a good job we have dug the wins out lately.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Calm down. We are definitely going up. Most of our games are against lower teams, and even though they need the points, that should play into our style even more as they will have to come at us. We'll be almost home and dry by the end of March. Add to that there is no way all of the teams mentioned will keep up the same form till season end.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Our GD is effectively like another point to us. So I cannot see any reason for concern provided we keep playing as we can , which I am sure Gus will insist on.

Without wishing to sound arrogant or taking anything for granted I think that the other tyeams are all playing for the 2nd promotion spot and they realise that although they wouldnt admit it obviously.

Trouble is,if we have a dip and Saints keep winning,that goal difference will be wiped out.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Its ours to lose no need to look over our shoulders just concentrate on our performances and results and the rest will take care of itself

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Trouble is,if we have a dip and Saints keep winning,that goal difference will be wiped out.

It does depend on what form our dip takes, and how many southampton win by.

But given the number of games played, and the points difference we have, any team that closes the gap on us for points won't be doing so because of games in hand, they will be doing so because we are not winning and they are - our goal difference at best will be remaining static while theirs will be increasing by at last one per win. So it would be risky to view our gd as an extra point.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
we are now in the position that we only have to get the the same results as our rivals and maintain the gap for the next 5 games or so. Looking at the fixtures we should be able to do that. We could also effectively knock SCC and Hudds out of the race with victories at withdean (in fact even draws would be good). I haven't looked at the fixtures but I am sure there will be games where Hudds Posh SCC B'mouth are playing each other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its ours to lose no need to look over our shoulders just concentrate on our performances and results and the rest will take care of itself

Last season, with 12 games remaining, we won 21 points. That same form would take us to 92 points and promotion. I think we are playing better than we did at this stage last season, so, I agree, we'll just concentrate on our games and let the rest worry about themselves.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
all our games before the potentially tricky Hudds and SCC at home are winnable......and these lower teams we play are all panicky, scrappy, and desperate.....perfect for the way we play.

we certainly do not want the hudds / scc home games to be squeaky bum occasions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All of our away games are winnable but I will be happy with an average of a point a game for those games.

That is 6 points so a win at Oldham would set us up well.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Last season, with 12 games remaining, we won 21 points. That same form would take us to 92 points and promotion. I think we are playing better than we did at this stage last season, so, I agree, we'll just concentrate on our games and let the rest worry about themselves.

And last season, and in the summer break there were several posters talking about that form being 'promotion form'. Now it literally would be!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Looking at the remaining fixtures for the others Bournemouth have by far the easiest run in. SCC and Huddersfield have some very tricky games ahead including the Champions elect.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The days of our closest rivals slipping up seem to have gone. I've always been wary of SCC and Hudds, but you can now add Peterborough to that list. If it hadn't been for Bridcutt last Saturday, plus a few slices of luck (esp the own goal) on Tuesday, we'd only be five points clear of third place....with the potential for that to have reduced to TWO points this Tuesday.

It's great to be 9 points clear of Posh with a game in hand, but the way the fixtures have piled up, and the current form of SCC, Hudds and Pboro, mean things could still change round quite quickly.

Whilst I'm not worried, I'm certainly not counting any chickens.

They're probably thinking the same about us...4 wins on the bounce and still unbeaten at home, its definatly not over yet but we just need to keep on as we have been for the last 6 months and it wont matter how well anyone else plays.I really cant see Gus or any of the players allowing their form to slip now.

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Whereas the view from third place is altogether different.

Albion are over the horizon and need to blow up spectacularly to miss automatic promotion. I'm frustrated that Howe's departure hasn't led to an implosion at B'muff and I'm not convinced that yesterday's defeat is the start. At the beginning of 2011 is was noticeable that only Albion had any consistent form, the rest of the pack were all over the place.

The opposite is now true. The top six are also in the top six on current form (+ Orient) and it's Albion + one from six for the second spot. Posh were so bad away from home before Fergie returned that I'm too cautious to call us at the moment. So I fancy SCC to clinch second spot. Which is a shame because I liked Adkins when he was at Scunny, but now he's a ****.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Whereas the view from third place is altogether different.

Albion are over the horizon and need to blow up spectacularly to miss automatic promotion. I'm frustrated that Howe's departure hasn't led to an implosion at B'muff and I'm not convinced that yesterday's defeat is the start. At the beginning of 2011 is was noticeable that only Albion had any consistent form, the rest of the pack were all over the place.

The opposite is now true. The top six are also in the top six on current form (+ Orient) and it's Albion + one from six for the second spot. Posh were so bad away from home before Fergie returned that I'm too cautious to call us at the moment. So I fancy SCC to clinch second spot. Which is a shame because I liked Adkins when he was at Scunny, but now he's a ****.

Posh are absolutely STEAMROLLING teams at the moment and look like a classy Championship outfit already. I really think that you are our biggest threat. Huddersfield have too many injuries and are just grinding out results, I think Bournemouth will start to slip now, and that Southampton are so caught up in their right to be Premiership that they'll continue to have the occassional slip up.

We could do you guys a MASSIVE favour as well, come the end of the season!

We are several points ahead with games in hand, so worrying about rivals should be subdued.
However, for the teams below us it's a very interesting and exciting season now - so they'll be up for everything and on their toes.

Gus has a job to do in keeping OUR players inspired and aggressive, and not dropping their guard - but the prospect of playing in the Championship and not getting ousted by some spunker brought in in the transfer period, is still something well worth fighting for!

If I were an Albion player, I'd want to keep on the ball, make the most of the rest of the season to make the position mine alone - and holiday in style only when the holidays come!!
There's a right time for everything, and the rewards are too great to let slip away. The same goes for all Albion staff, really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here