Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's 40 years today that I've been supporting the Albion

Classic directions to Bristol as well - on the B3105.

Yep, you certainly needed a navigator in those pre-M4 days! And why didn't they tell you the way to Eastville on entering the city?

Thank you Hiney, this is the best present possible (apart from a canister of film from Southern Television who FG assures me covered the game!)
I never realised we had only just signed the late Geoff Sidebottom just before.
Did anyone else notice another Freddie Goodwin lining up for Stockport?
Or the losses against Reading reserves? 3-5 at home, 4-8 away :lol:

Last edited:

Who most proabably have seen more Albion games amongst them, than all us on this board put together!

You are way, way out in my case. Although I attended every home match I could practically get to until late 1979 when I moved to Mansfield, I have only been to a handfull since. But in the majority of subsequent seasons I have got to most of the away games, so I must be part of an extremely small clique of fans who have actually been to more away games than home in their lives.

Nottseagull

If its not a personal question.

Did you do National Service?? ???

If this question was serious, may I redirect you to my opening post which states I paid the child's admission price to the ET.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Yep, you certainly needed a navigator in those pre-M4 days! And why didn't they tell you the way to Eastville on entering the city?

Thank you Hiney, this is the best present possible (apart from a canister of film from Southern Television who FG assures me covered the game!)
I never realised we had only just signed the late Geoff Sidebottom just before.
Did anyone else notice another Freddie Goodwin lining up for Stockport?
Or the losses against Reading reserves? 3-5 at home, 4-8 away :lol:

My pleasure - I'll scan the match reports later.

My website will be up and running soon - Seagulls Programmes - which will have scans of pretty much every home programme from 1958. This will also have a 'matchday memories' link from each match for everyone to log their memories of games like this.

:thumbsup:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
"If this question was serious, may I redirect you to my opening post which states I paid the child's admission price to the ET".

Nottseagull

The reason I asked. Is that I have this image as to what you, Freddie Goodwin and Alex Alex Dawson look like in real life!!

ps with you being the one in the middle

Attachments

• Chelsea_pensioners.jpg
    Chelsea_pensioners.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 68

My pleasure - I'll scan the match reports later.

My website will be up and running soon - Seagulls Programmes - which will have scans of pretty much every home programme from 1958. This will also have a 'matchday memories' link from each match for everyone to log their memories of games like this.

Thanks, although remember you already reproduced John Vinicombe's verdict on that other thread (via OCR?)

Tucked into my programme from that game is a cutting from 'Monday Commentary by John Vinicombe' in The Argus. Some interesting comments, bearing in mind the late goals we have been conceding recently. Some things just don't change over 40 years!
"Albion's lack of know-how, the almost total disregard for for elementary professionalism, is now frankly disturbing.
Stockport's 88th minute equaliser was the fourth time in the last seven matches that Albion have conceded a late goal. the cost? Three precious points that would now see them mid-table.
This fatal relaxing is is revealed as a serious flaw in the entire make-up of the side. Instead of retaining possession with the game nearly over, players indulge in all sorts of extraordinary liberties.
Competent sides like Stockport don't need a second invitation to help themselves.
Just look what happened with the final whistle only two minutes away. Howard Wilkinson, who had grafted hard in midfield was clear, half-way inside Albion's half. Charlie Livesey, 73rd minute substitute for Brian Tawse, was already in an offside position. Wilkinson hit a long ball for him and the result was Stockport getting a free ball.
Within seconds it was in the back of Albion's net, propelled by the twinkling right foot of Alex Young when ex-Generals Geoff Sidebottom and Barrie Wright were slow to realise the danger."

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
45th season for me. Come on you Dolphins.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Great work Mr Hines. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now have you got any details of Albion v Huddersfield League Cup 1981? My first Albion game! Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Here you go Sim,

Albion v Huddersfield Town - League Cup 2nd Rnd 2nd Leg

W 2-0 (won 2-1 on agg) Ritchie, Grealish

Att: 14,192

Team: Moseley, Shanks, Nelson, Grealish, Foster, Gatting, Case, Ritchie, Robinson, McNab, Smith, Sub: Ryan

page1bl8.jpg

page23js2.jpg

page45iw7.jpg

page67ib6.jpg

page89wm0.jpg

page1011uj8.jpg

page1213rj0.jpg

page1415cu5.jpg

page1617sn6.jpg

page1819cf5.jpg

page2021ce8.jpg

page2223he5.jpg

page2425hl0.jpg

page2627wn2.jpg

page2829pv7.jpg

page3031nn5.jpg

page32ah6.jpg

Last edited:

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Thanks, although remember you already reproduced John Vinicombe's verdict on that other thread (via OCR?)

Tucked into my programme from that game is a cutting from 'Monday Commentary by John Vinicombe' in The Argus. Some interesting comments, bearing in mind the late goals we have been conceding recently. Some things just don't change over 40 years!
"Albion's lack of know-how, the almost total disregard for for elementary professionalism, is now frankly disturbing.
Stockport's 88th minute equaliser was the fourth time in the last seven matches that Albion have conceded a late goal. the cost? Three precious points that would now see them mid-table.
This fatal relaxing is is revealed as a serious flaw in the entire make-up of the side. Instead of retaining possession with the game nearly over, players indulge in all sorts of extraordinary liberties.
Competent sides like Stockport don't need a second invitation to help themselves.
Just look what happened with the final whistle only two minutes away. Howard Wilkinson, who had grafted hard in midfield was clear, half-way inside Albion's half. Charlie Livesey, 73rd minute substitute for Brian Tawse, was already in an offside position. Wilkinson hit a long ball for him and the result was Stockport getting a free ball.
Within seconds it was in the back of Albion's net, propelled by the twinkling right foot of Alex Young when ex-Generals Geoff Sidebottom and Barrie Wright were slow to realise the danger."

Was this the legendary Alex Young of Everton fame, nicknamed ' the golden vision '...a folk hero at Goodison in the early 60's.
44 yrs meself...opening game...BHA v Tranmere....Div 4...April 10th 1965...23,933...we won 2-1 with a last minute header from Norman Gall...went top of table for 1st time and stayed there til end of season.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
"If this question was serious, may I redirect you to my opening post which states I paid the child's admission price to the ET".

Nottseagull

The reason I asked. Is that I have this image as to what you, Freddie Goodwin and Alex Alex Dawson look like in real life!!

ps with you being the one in the middle

That's brilliant :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was this the legendary Alex Young of Everton fame, nicknamed ' the golden vision '...a folk hero at Goodison in the early 60's.
44 yrs meself...opening game...BHA v Tranmere....Div 4...April 10th 1965...23,933...we won 2-1 with a last minute header from Norman Gall...went top of table for 1st time and stayed there til end of season.

Yes it was. Strange how such a star slipped so easilly down 2 divisions.

Also, hiney's programme - great effort! And how about those prices for games? It was a working man's game back then.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes it was. Strange how such a star slipped so easilly down 2 divisions.

Also, hiney's programme - great effort! And how about those prices for games? It was a working man's game back then.

the game that sticks out for me that season was the Liverpool game I took my son (the one and only time it was my daughter who loved going with me) my son was more interested in the police horses he hated watching football ....but was a reasonable player ....unlike myself

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Here you go Sim,

Team: Moseley, Shanks, Nelson, Grealish, Foster, Gatting, Case, Ritchie, Robinson, McNab, Smith, Sub: Ryan

Hiney, that's brilliant - :bowdown:

I've got pretty much every home programme from the late 70's upto the mid 90's when I grew hair and started buying Gulls Eye :afro:

Let me know if there are any you haven't got and I'll see if I've got them. :)

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Hiney, that's brilliant - :bowdown:

I've got pretty much every home programme from the late 70's upto the mid 90's when I grew hair and started buying Gulls Eye :afro:

Let me know if there are any you haven't got and I'll see if I've got them. :)

From 1970 to 1997 the only League homes I need are:

74/75 - Halifax (postponed game on 18/1/75)
81/82 - Leeds (postponed game on 19/12/81)

Apart from that it's just a few odd friendlies

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
From 1970 to 1997 the only League homes I need are:

74/75 - Halifax (postponed game on 18/1/75)
81/82 - Leeds (postponed game on 19/12/81)

Apart from that it's just a few odd friendlies

I may have the Leeds one - but definately not the Halifax one...I'll check it out later...I've just been into my loft to find my wife has placed half of Mile Oak's Xmas decorations on my Albion memorabilia :angry:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Here you go Sim,

That is qualla. Thankyou very much Hiney! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here