Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It was twenty years ago today ...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We went into school that day all saying to each other 'out late?' 'been upsetting a few guests?' 'Waresy, do you fart down on the seafront last night?' etc. 15-year-olds don't tend to have a sense of history.

Talking of history, our history teacher was a real Trot, and he had a silly smirk on his face all day that he just would not wipe off.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We woke up to hear about it on the news. karen and I walked along the beach, trying to get to work and stood for what must have been an good hour just looking up at the devastation.

One of the wierd things was that you had the feeling that the bomber could have walked in the very spot you were standing.

I remember after the bombing, the amount of people in Brighton who came out and said how they agreed with the bombing being a "legitimate" target ( I seem to remember someone inviting Gerry Adams down to Brighton as some sort of working class hero).

The thing that got me about it all wa snot the fact that theyt tried to kill the elected government at the time, but the fact that they had no care whatsoever for the ordinary workers in the hotel, the porters/cleaners etc etc who would have worked there. I suppose in the IRA's eyes they were necessary casualties.

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Shock .... then a feeling of "I wonder if they've got Thatcher?"

Last edited:

We were off to France early in the morning on a booze cruise with the local Round Table - 11 course lunch was wonderful! We didn't know anything about the Grand Hotel until we got back at about 11pm that night. Mind you, after that lunch we didn't know much about anything!

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I got up for school, switched on the telly and there were images of the Grand on every channel. After school, we walked down and had a look, although a huge area was cordoned off.

In those days, Brighton was a smaller town and it felt like nothing could ever happen here. How wrong we were.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
i don't really remember much being five at time, remember seeing some stuff on telly but at that age didn't really make an impact on me at the time.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
_259227_brighton_bomb150.jpg

15 years for 5 dead.

We will NEVER give in the terrorists!

???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Albion Dan said:
Funny, my parents had the exact same sentiments. Unbelievable how many people hated that bitch!

Regardless of how much people hated her, or indeed any elected Prime Minister, the way to get rid of her is at the ballot box NOT by killing her.

I dislike Blair but I don't want to see him removed by terrorists.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Westdene Seagull said:
Regardless of how much people hated her, or indeed any elected Prime Minister, the way to get rid of her is at the ballot box NOT by killing her.

I dislike Blair but I don't want to see him removed by terrorists.

i agree but thatcher is a bit different to many others

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
IMHO: Thatcher was/is the persomification of evil.

Both her husband Denis and son Mark were major international and illegal arms dealers. She shielded them while allowing Jonathan Aitken to go down for mere peddling in the same.

She also equiped HMS Sheffield and other British cruisers with nuclear depth charges for the Falklands War. In addition deploying a British nuclear sub in the South Atlantic. Both deployments ran contrary to the Plataeco treaty. None of these vessels were in 5 days range of any Warsaw Pact countries. Her intention was - that if things went badly wrong - she would nuke Cordoba and probably Buenes Aires.

Yes, my parents were disappointed the IRA bomb didn't get her ... and so was I.

And that is a sad confession from someone who is a would-be Christian.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Thatcher stands head and shoulders above any current leader.
She knew what Britain stood for, and i reckon half of these foreign imports wouldn`t be here today that`s for sure, it would have been stamped out years ago.
Ok sorry it`s turned into a politics thread, but don`t under estimate the power of that woman.

Last edited:

larus

Croydonbloke said:
Thatcher stands head and shoulders above any current leader.
She knew what Britain stood for, and i reckon half of these foreign imports wouldn`t be here today that`s for sure, it would have been stamped out years ago.
Ok sorry it`s turned into a politics thread, but don`t under estimate the power of that woman.

Oh f***.

I'm agreeing with a Palace fan.:nono:

Whatever next :shootself

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
f*** right off Croydonbloke, Thatcher is the very personification of evil.

Only a Palace fan could come up with such shite

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I am also ashamed to admit that I wished they had got Thatcher as it goes against all my instincts to wish anyone dead, but Thatcher and/or her policies used to make me extremely angry most of the time back then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here