Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It looks like we are in for a formation change.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reading between the lines of Gus' post match comments:-

Brighton manager Gus Poyet said: "I need to make sure that we don't keep drawing and drawing because it's too many.
"Do you know how many games we've lost this year? From 28 we've played we've lost six and we are not in the top six.
"How? Because we draw too many. It's better from now on that we win one and lose one."

If he wants to stop drawing he's going to need to ease up on defensive midfielders.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I am Staggered at the amount of games he has decided that one up front is good enough. It clearly is not. Why has it taken up to now to realise this(that is IF he does change it). There are parts of Gus' tactics decision making that utterly frustrate me and in a blink of an eye he can be the exact opposite

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If he wants to stop drawing he's going to need to ease up on defensive midfielders.

Don't necessarily disagree but it's going to heap the pressure on Bridcutt otherwise AEA and GG get exposed and I'm not sure they are up to it.

I was kind of hoping Ulloa with Vicente/Barnes/Dobbie combination might be more the answer

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If Gus had a more attacking mindset rather than a fanatical obsession with possession at all costs then maybe we would have closed more games out as wins than losing the ball and conceding goals that have turned winning positions into draws.

We need to be more lethal in front of goal, fingers crossed that Ulloa is the solution.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't necessarily disagree but it's going to heap the pressure on Bridcutt otherwise AEA and GG get exposed and I'm not sure they are up to it.
If that were the case, Gus has questions to answer.
That being the centre defensive partnership of choice for the 18 months, in this division.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
For me then

Tomasz

Calde/Bruno

Greer

El Abd

Bridge

Bridcutt

Orlandi
Hammond

CMS
Ulloa
Buckley

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

count_chocula.gif

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me then

Tomasz

Calde/Bruno

Greer

El Abd

Bridge

Bridcutt

Orlandi
Hammond
Vicente

CMS
Ulloa
Buckley

I like the look of that formation to start a game and then when we get in front by a couple of goals perhaps close the game down by taking off one of the front 3 for a more defensive man in the likes of Barnes or perhaps even Dicker. The square peg for me is Croft I canot see what he offers us at the moment that others do not offer more of. That formation plus perhaps VVD or similar will see us home and dry to a play off place.

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
Albion play an open and expansive style of play both away and at home. The blackburn game was not a great example but if we take half our goal scoring opportunities and cut our the last minute gaff's we would be top six. Bolton at home, Wolves and Birmingham away are good examples. Should have won those and we are comfortably top six.

I don't think Gus is to far short.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
For me then

Tomasz

Calde/Bruno

Greer

El Abd

Bridge

Bridcutt

Orlandi
Hammond
Vicente

CMS
Ulloa
Buckley

I like the look of that formation to start a game and then when we get in front by a couple of goals perhaps close the game down by taking off one of the front 3 for a more defensive man in the likes of Barnes or perhaps even Dicker. The square peg for me is Croft I canot see what he offers us at the moment that others do not offer more of. That formation plus perhaps VVD or similar will see us home and dry to a play off place.

Count Grandad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Albion play an open and expansive style of play both away and at home. The blackburn game was not a great example but if we take half our goal scoring opportunities and cut our the last minute gaff's we would be top six. Bolton at home, Wolves and Birmingham away are good examples. Should have won those and we are comfortably top six.

I don't think Gus is to far short.
We should have beaten Leeds too (thanks ref) and got more from the Birmingham, Ipswich and Middlesbrough games at home.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Count Grandad.

I think I'll surprise a few and start with 11 men...

------------------Kuszczak-------------------
Calderon(Bruno if fit)---Greer---El-Abd---Bridge
-------------Bridcutt-------------------------
------------------Hammond-------------------
Lopez-------------Orlandi--------------Barnes
---------------------Ulloa--------------------

This is based on current form. In terms of Natural ability, I'd probably replace Barnes with Orlandi, Orlandi for Vicente and Lopez for Buckley and have a three of:

Buckley---Vicente---Orlandi

With Ulloa as the front man or barnes is Ulloa never gets his international clearance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We should have beaten Leeds too (thanks ref) and got more from the Birmingham, Ipswich and Middlesbrough games at home.
But for some perspective how many points have we 'stolen'?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is the Arsenal game a chance to go 'death or glory', with a newer game plan and no points at stake.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But for some perspective how many points have we 'stolen'?

I would argue only two, Blackpool and Blackburn away. Can't think of any other games where we haven't deserved at least the points we have got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here