Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It is not Racist to fly The cross of St George

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Does anyone know why St George was chosen and who chose him as the Patron Saint?

I would have thought home grown Saints like St Alban or St Bede would be as good as is not better as choices.

Especially St Bede given his work on English history,

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Does anyone know why St George was chosen and who chose him as the Patron Saint?

I would have thought home grown Saints like St Alban or St Bede would be as good as is not better as choices.

in england things get lost in the midst of time tyrone. we dont have your luxury of being able to make up all our traditions and anthems from scratch and in living memory.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
in england things get lost in the midst of time tyrone. we dont have your luxury of being able to make up all our traditions and anthems from scratch and in living memory.

It's ok I found the answer.

It started from scratch in 1350 :p

King Edward III made him the Patron Saint of England when he formed the Order of the Garter in St. George's name in 1350

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire

Blame it on the Normans. It was all down to their cultural cleansing of everything anglo saxon. St Edmund is the real Patron Saint of the English

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im 55, and I dont remember St Georges day EVER being celebrated. In fact, most people in UK couldnt give a flying feck about it.
Only people who whinge about it, are people who feel 'their' England is under threat. Not sure what 'their' England is, but seems to involve having to fly a flag and drinking lager. The Culture loss if we dont celebrate is staggering.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You are braking the Law if you have the English cross of Saint George on your car number plates. If you do, Edna will be very cross. punish:

That's actually a myth. When the EU originally wanted all EU member number plates to bear the blue flag with gold stars and for this to be the only image allowed. A fuss was kicked up and when the rules were implemented the proposal to make it illegal to display any other image was dropped.

The Daily Mail will have you believe otherwise.

And this is coming from a very strong anti-EU person such as myself !

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It's ok I found the answer.

It started from scratch in 1350 :p

Not necessarily, the cult of St George was picked in Palestine by Richard I during his reign in the last years of the 12th century and the red cross used as a method of identifying English knights out in the Holy land during the crusades.

Part of the reason St Georges day fell out of favour during the Tudor period was that it was a saints day which was associated by the then English protestants as a foreign Catholic celebration

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Storrington must be home to hundreds of Racists in that case, all the shops were flying St George's Flags Yesterday (and today).

Oh and that pub in Totton I had a pint in yesterday lunchtime, full of St George's Flags as well, the racist bastards (although I was much more offended by the Southampton and Pants Cricket Club stuff on the walls)

wahoo

Banned
Oct 11, 2007
Storrington must be home to hundreds of Racists in that case, all the shops were flying St George's Flags Yesterday (and today).

Oh and that pub in Totton I had a pint in yesterday lunchtime, full of St George's Flags as well, the racist bastards (although I was much more offended by the Southampton and Pants Cricket Club stuff on the walls)

funnily enough i was going to mention storrington , it was quite a spectacle , very nice to see

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
what a twat

Why? It's correct.

It's from an age when medical knowledge was minimal the Catholic church would often assign saints to certain diseases for sufferers to pray to. If you had lumbago you prayed to St Lawrence; Epilepsy was St Vitus; St Polycarp was patron saint of dysentery and earache; If you got a dose of clap you prayed to St Fiacre who is also patron saint of taxi drivers; George just so happens to be assigned to syphillis and leprosy sufferers.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Still suffering with a hangover from yesterday when 18 of us finished work at lunch and had free beer in the local till 8 (when the boss ran out of cash) good old St George who ever the f*** he is

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nothing wrong with flying the flag of St George, nothing racist either, just celebrating the fact that we're English and proud of it.

nothing wrong but try doing it in Wales,every NUMTY bastard in the Principality would be at your door either breaking it down or telling you its wrong

This is all so very very English

yes and so it should be

someone with some sense at last
Hmmmm!

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
im trying to imagine the authorities in dublin popping into the pubs on march the 17th, and asking people to take off their huge foam hats and and draped flags from around their shoulders put a curfew on making merry and dancing in the streets must only be performed facing east. ....

But i cant

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That's actually a myth. When the EU originally wanted all EU member number plates to bear the blue flag with gold stars and for this to be the only image allowed. A fuss was kicked up and when the rules were implemented the proposal to make it illegal to display any other image was dropped.

The Daily Mail will have you believe otherwise.

And this is coming from a very strong anti-EU person such as myself !

I stand corrected.:down:

Optionally, number plates may display one of the following national emblems: British Union Flag with “GB”, English Flag (St George Cross) with “ENG”, Scottish Flag (St Andrew Cross) with “SCO”, Welsh Flag (green dragon on green/white field) with “Wales” and “Cymru” or Euro Flag (circle of stars) with “GB”. If the Euro/GB configuration is displayed, then the bearer vehicle need not display a separate “GB” emblem when driving within the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here