Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It is not Racist to fly The cross of St George

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
brighton council can bail out pride because they don't know how to plan their finanaces, how much does the council spend on st georges day ? broken britain

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
brighton council can bail out pride because they don't know how to plan their finanaces, how much does the council spend on st georges day ? broken britain

Jeez, I hardly think the fact that the council doesn't spend money on hanging up a few plastic flags every 23rd April means Britain is broken :rolleyes:

Why is it the council's responsibility any more than it is yours? If you read the local pages, they have had various things going on today, so it's not been ignored in any case. The council just reflect the mood of most people who live here: St George's Day is kind of a nice idea, but we're really not that worried.

I'm quite happy for the council to spend money on genuinely important things, and leave you to organise your own party if you want to.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Every damn year this comes up, some flustered halfwit getting all feisty about St George's Day, the-Irish-celebrate-St-Paddy's-why-can't-we-have-our-day etc etc.

We do. If you're that bothered about it, get off your backsides and hoist your flag up or go organise some kind of celebration. Most of us aren't that bothered either way so we carry on as normal, but nobody stops you if you wish to fly a flag, or have a celebratory ale.

I'd be amazed if a single user on here had ever been told they couldn't fly the flag on racist grounds. So it's a non story really, isn't it?

See you all again next year :thumbsup:

I agree with every word said in this post. Every letter in fact. Can we all please direct the inevitable knuckle-drugging idiots that will no doubt bombard this thread later (once their cages have been unlocked) immediately to this post? It will make things a lot easier.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
like bailing out pride and their flags? can't they hoist their own?

Pride brings in lots of revenue to Brighton, the council do lots of things to encourage tourism, why should this be any different?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
You are braking the Law if you have the English cross of Saint George on your car number plates. If you do, Edna will be very cross. punish:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jeez, I hardly think the fact that the council doesn't spend money on hanging up a few plastic flags every 23rd April means Britain is broken :rolleyes:

I'm glad the council dont put a load of flags up. I dont want the council to encourage racism.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Not really mate. I live in leicester now and leicester council is putting on a really great St. George's day festival this year. Its not really my cup of tea but Im really pleased about it because it has shut up all the small minded twats in my local who natter on all day about the supposed FACT that you cant celebrate being British anymore.

So not really Broken Britain, maybe a Broken Council in Brighton and a bunch of lazy fuckers that are not willing to put in the hard work to make these things happen! (but are more than willing to moan about it!)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dragon Lore

We should make more of it though....I think its pretty sad if you can't be bothered to celebrate it.

It is an insult to Dragons. UDI for Sussex.

IKDRF

May 1, 2009
I heard some nit on the radio claiming that it is racist to be flying the Cross of St George. The English do not make enough of St Georges day. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of patroitism. Funny that the BNP chose today of all days to launch their manifesto though

off course its not rascist, after all St George was palestinian......

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nothing wrong with flying the flag of St George, nothing racist either, just celebrating the fact that we're English and proud of it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The flags are really being flown to celebrate the Albion winning the Southern League on this day one hundred years ago.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm glad the council dont put a load of flags up. I dont want the council to encourage racism.

Care to explain how the flying of a national flag in this country is any way an example of racism? and being racist against whom exactly?

In fact isn't the opposite true, Isn't it being racist to say that someone shouldn't be allowed or encouraged to display the flag of St George (our national flag) in this country if they wished to (and therefore discrimination because of our nationality).

The problem with why St Georges day isn't that widely celebrated in this country is that there isn't really an alcoholic drink to accompany it, the Irish have Guiness to go with St Patricks day which help to promote it, so if there was an accompaning drink, then the pubs etc would be pushing it more in an effort to make more money and then it would probably be more of an event.

The problem with why St Georges day isn't that widely celebrated in this country is that there isn't really an alcoholic drink to accompany it, the Irish have Guiness to go with St Patricks day which help to promote it, so if there was an accompaning drink, then the pubs etc would be pushing it more in an effort to make more money and then it would probably be more of an event.
St George drank tea. FACT.

tealadies.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here