Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It is not Racist to fly The cross of St George

I heard some nit on the radio claiming that it is racist to be flying the Cross of St George. The English do not make enough of St Georges day. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of patroitism. Funny that the BNP chose today of all days to launch their manifesto though

Nov 20, 2003
hove
st george

We all know that right wing parties use it as a flag of conveinience when the swastica is more apt for them .Its like saying that any body waring stone island is automatically a football thug.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
The only reason people think its racist is because they think the rest of the world are offended when England fly a flag, America do way more than this, they even do more about St Patricks day than the Irish.

People are idiots if they think that every english person who even owns an English flag is a member of the BNP.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Every damn year this comes up, some flustered halfwit getting all feisty about St George's Day, the-Irish-celebrate-St-Paddy's-why-can't-we-have-our-day etc etc.

We do. If you're that bothered about it, get off your backsides and hoist your flag up or go organise some kind of celebration. Most of us aren't that bothered either way so we carry on as normal, but nobody stops you if you wish to fly a flag, or have a celebratory ale.

I'd be amazed if a single user on here had ever been told they couldn't fly the flag on racist grounds. So it's a non story really, isn't it?

See you all again next year :thumbsup:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
On Sunday I am travelling hundreds of miles to walk behind a man claiming to be St. George. Anyone who suggests that this is because I am the Dragon may expect retribution.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We should make more of it though....I think its pretty sad if you can't be bothered to celebrate it.

Why? It's not a national holiday, which might make it a more attractive proposition. I have no problem with people who do want to enjoy it.

Like I said, if you feel that strongly about it then do something to celebrate. Don't just sit around and complain that it's ignored, because then you're just perpetuating the very state of affairs that you claim to be saddened by.

Every damn year this comes up, some flustered halfwit getting all feisty about St George's Day, the-Irish-celebrate-St-Paddy's-why-can't-we-have-our-day etc etc.

We do. If you're that bothered about it, get off your backsides and hoist your flag up or go organise some kind of celebration. Most of us aren't that bothered either way so we carry on as normal, but nobody stops you if you wish to fly a flag, or have a celebratory ale.

I'd be amazed if a single user on here had ever been told they couldn't fly the flag on racist grounds. So it's a non story really, isn't it?

See you all again next year :thumbsup:

No need for me to comment - Edna has said it all.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
How many countries actually celebrate their saints days anyway? Just cos the Irish do, why should England?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
St George: son of a Roman soldier, born in Palestine, never came to England, presumably didn't speak English, and has no obvious connection with this country. But did kill a dragon, maybe. Which is nice.

William Shakespeare, prolific playwright, poet and probably the greatest writer the English language has ever known, responsible for thousands of words and terms we still use to this day, influential worldwide even now, and is thought to have been born and died on 23rd April. Didn't kill any dragons, disappointingly, but did have lots of ghosts in his plays.

If we are celebrating today, which is the more deserving, I wonder?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here