Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

it has to be asked once more

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
should adam virgo be considered as a striker now? he is our top scorer and scores great goals by the sound of it!

so should we stick with a winning formula which is not politically correct or stick to the norm and drop him out of his godlike position??

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
He was excellent again today, chasing down what looked like lost causes and tackling defenders (bet that surprises them). Very well taken goal. McPhee stayed closer to him than Leon does and was able to pick up more knock downs. Hammond and Nikolas looked real quality in the middle of midfield.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Though the point is he is not a striker. Yes he is doing well at the moment but he will be found out. He himself as said he does not want to play there full time.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If we don't start winning some penaltys before long, Leon won't score any.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
leon has got to be under pressure for his place mcphee and virgs linked up well and gave us a lot more options

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wardywonderland said:
Though the point is he is not a striker. Yes he is doing well at the moment but he will be found out. He himself as said he does not want to play there full time.
He is a footballer, and he is proving to be very effective in his current role. Why just pigeonhole him with the "defender" label ? Players have been converted from other positions many times before. Virgo is still young, he's still learning the game, and Mark McGhee, as a former striker himself, is the man who can coach him. I see absolutely NO reason why Virgo can't be converted into an out-and-out striker/targetman for us - so far, he has been a revelation, and he can only get better as he gets more familiar with the role. If we had actually signed a striker who went on to do what Virgo has done so far, we would be DELIGHTED.

Does anyone remember Paul Warhurst at Blackburn ? Previously considered a classy central defender, he was pushed up front a few times as an emergency striker, and took to is like a duck to water. Thats how I see Virgo. As someone else has said - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He is MORE that doing a job for us right now.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Easy 10 said:
He is a footballer, and he is proving to be very effective in his current role. Why just pigeonhole him with the "defender" label ? Players have been converted from other positions many times before. Virgo is still young, he's still learning the game, and Mark McGhee, as a former striker himself, is the man who can coach him. I see absolutely NO reason why Virgo can't be converted into an out-and-out striker/targetman for us - so far, he has been a revelation, and he can only get better as he gets more familiar with the role. If we had actually signed a striker who went on to do what Virgo has done so far, we would be DELIGHTED.

Does anyone remember Paul Warhurst at Blackburn ? Previously considered a classy central defender, he was pushed up front a few times as an emergency striker, and took to is like a duck to water. Thats how I see Virgo. As someone else has said - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He is MORE that doing a job for us right now.

Well said that man!

Oct 25, 2003
John Boy said:
Henry went to Arsenal as a right winger and Wenger moved him up front
he was a left winger wasn't he?

and moving from the wing to upfront is differant from moving from defence to attack

but i say- if it aint broke don't fix it

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I have a funny feeling that Virgs will remain up front and will be effectively converted to a striker. Let's not forget that he is banging in goals in the Championship and doing so fairly easily. He looks a natural striker in the making to me.

A big well done Adam.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
I agree that Virgo can only get better in the role - we should leave Leon on the bench next game to see if it cures his "attitude".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not just his goals - Virgo is extremely effective at holding the ball up, winning the headers, and generally being a pain in the arse to the opposition. He occupies defenders. He makes things untidy for them, makes it more difficult for them to clear their lines. His workrate is tremendous, and his attitude spot-on.

I'm trying not to go too OTT on the guy, but I think considering the level he has been pitched in at in an unfamiliar role, the standard of his performances in The Championship have been phenomenal. If he's like this after a handful of games, how good could he get when he gets more experience ? And learns more of the nuances from McGhee about a strikers positioning and anticipation ?

I'm sold. We have our targetman for this division. I cannot imagine Virgo in the back 4 ever again, it would feel like such a waste. Just keep doing what you're doing Virgs, you absolute STAR.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What reservations do you have about Virgo as a striker then, D O ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Desert Orchid said:
Only that it is still early days. McGhee still seems to think we need a target man to replace him. I'm not sure when that'll change, but I hope Virgo will save the club money we haven't got.
As I said earlier, if McGhee HAD brought in a new targetman who went and did what Virgo has done so far, we would all be happy with that as a new signing. I think the fella has been a massive bonus, and must have surprised McGhee at how well he has done so far. Personally, I have been bloody amazed.

You're right though, it is early days. I think its worth sticking with Virgo for the forseeable future though to see if he can continue in this vein of form. If he does, then I honestly don't see the point of bringing in another targetman.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Just seen the goal on sky and all I can say is if he is one of our central defenders can we have a few more like him.

If he can defend half as well as he can take a chance up-front then he is a very very good asset.

As he is he is worth a small fortune in my eyes. Far more than Bobby ever was and oodles more than Knight ever will be.

That is 2 goals hat he has taken like a seasoned striker.

Could he be a new Fozzie? good in defence but able too finish at the other end too. (although use of a fat arse is something he should reserve for later in his career!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here