Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] It doesn’t really matter, does it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Politics does matter in as much as we want to ensure the state is able to step in and help when life takes a really nasty turn. However, once you enter the eye of that storm then it really doesn't. Wishing you and yours nothing but the best in this trying time. Hope that the NSC family is a source of comfort and a rich seam of information in the coming days. Take care.

Quite.

It matters immensely, and simultaneously, not one bit.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thanks to all for allowing me to share what’s going on in my life at the moment. There have been some amazing responses, NSC might attract a motley bunch of weirdos, but they are fantastic at pulling together when it counts.

My wife was visited by her doctor today, who has confirmed she has a High-grade non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. She has a right kidney that’s just about holding it’s own, as a tumour is squeezing the urethra and has been informed what she thought was a pulled muscle in her side is actually a blood clot, as she has a blood clot in her left kidney and one in her right leg, mention was also made of a clot in the lung too, but my brain had started making “ la la la” noises by that point.

They have said she will be subjected to a heavy dose of chemotherapy later this week, which will hopefully help the problem with the kidney, but she has to stay in as this could lead to a breakaway of the tumour, and they need to make sure it doesn’t go to the kidney and if it does she would be in the best place!

It tears me apart when I have to leave her, but equally our kids need me at home. Family have been great helping out, particularly with the 3 year old, as he is so dependent...

My wife has been given a day release tomorrow to allow us to take our little man to see Santa at Leeds Castle, a day out I am going to cherish!

Thanks once more to you all and for allowing me to vent here, it really really helps.

My wife has been walking this path for the last 8 months. I can only say that when it was announced as Lymphoma we were slightly pleased because we thought it was throat cancer. Her cancer is in the Lymph nodes in her neck and a smaller number in her stomach. She has been great , fighting through the bad days and we have enjoyed the good days. It certainly changes perspective but my way of coping with it has been to assume it will be ok and she will be cured. I try to treat things as normal though I find it a bit strange/surreal going to the football and enjoying myself but it keeps me going and if I am 'right' then i am at my best to help my wife.NSC debates , arguments and insults have been a good distracting sideshow taking my mind away from matters more serious.

We are all different but what i would say is that you have to be positive and optimistic but equally be responsive when it is a shit day and accept it as such. So there have been days when both of us have been in tears, that is ok in my book as it allows us to get it out of our system for a bit and move onto some good days.

If you want to chat let me know. The two cancers are similar, but different i.e. your wife's is lump based whilst my wife's is B-cell (in the blood) but there will be crossovers. We have just done a few days at the Royal Marsden in preparation for some new treatment next January. In the short term she has 14 radiotherapy sessions in next 3 weeks.

All the best and I hope it all turns out well.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I am really sorry to hear about your wife’s diagnosis. I was diagnosed my with Myeloma, another blood cancer, 18 months ago and thought I had no future. I am now in remission after 6 months of chemo and a stem cell transplant. While the treatment was hardly fun it was manageable and I was still able to work and live a lot more normal life than I expected through most of it. The treatments are improving all the time and the prognosis particularly with early diagnosis is very good. Coping with this and your mother at the same time is tough and I wish you all the very best.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My wife has been walking this path for the last 8 months. I can only say that when it was announced as Lymphoma we were slightly pleased because we thought it was throat cancer. Her cancer is in the Lymph nodes in her neck and a smaller number in her stomach. She has been great , fighting through the bad days and we have enjoyed the good days. It certainly changes perspective but my way of coping with it has been to assume it will be ok and she will be cured. I try to treat things as normal though I find it a bit strange/surreal going to the football and enjoying myself but it keeps me going and if I am 'right' then i am at my best to help my wife.NSC debates , arguments and insults have been a good distracting sideshow taking my mind away from matters more serious.

We are all different but what i would say is that you have to be positive and optimistic but equally be responsive when it is a shit day and accept it as such. So there have been days when both of us have been in tears, that is ok in my book as it allows us to get it out of our system for a bit and move onto some good days.

If you want to chat let me know. The two cancers are similar, but different i.e. your wife's is lump based whilst my wife's is B-cell (in the blood) but there will be crossovers. We have just done a few days at the Royal Marsden in preparation for some new treatment next January. In the short term she has 14 radiotherapy sessions in next 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear your wife’s story too and I hope it works out for her (and you). Crying is a great natural release, lovely that you can do that. All the best.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Shit, I so feel for you. We are just taking the first few steps down the battle path. It’s so daunting!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I am really sorry to hear about your wife’s diagnosis. I was diagnosed my with Myeloma, another blood cancer, 18 months ago and thought I had no future. I am now in remission after 6 months of chemo and a stem cell transplant. While the treatment was hardly fun it was manageable and I was still able to work and live a lot more normal life than I expected through most of it. The treatments are improving all the time and the prognosis particularly with early diagnosis is very good. Coping with this and your mother at the same time is tough and I wish you all the very best.

Thank you for your kind words. I am sure she (we) will have good and bad days. Positivity appears to be the key!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
My very best wishes and thoughts to you.

Absolutely puts everything in perspective. Stay positive and have a good rant on here when you need to. It will do you good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Only the day before yesterday my wife told me that a man she knows through her work and who I vaguely know has just been declared cancer free after chemo having been diagnosed with lymphoma this year.

His diagnosis, treatment and being given the all clear has all happened within the space of about 8 or 9 months, certainly less than a year because I first met him at my wife's staff christmas party last year when he was fine and hadn't yet been diagnosed.

I became aware of his condition as my wife told me when he was first diagnosed and gave me the occasional update on how he was doing. I'm not going to pretend it was a walk in the park for him because it wasn't but at least he got through it.

Lymphoma is very treatable now so stay positive and hopefully before this time next year your wife will have been given the all clear too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unfortunately we think it matters until something comes along that REALLY matters.

Good Luck and Best Wishes for you and the others on here who, at the moment, have things that do really matter and must be testing them incredibly hard.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have been quite vocal on the Election thread and chucked my two pence worth into the Brexit thread, over the last couple of days, but ultimately what does it all matter...

I have taken my wife to hospital today, as she is suffering from the early stages of lymphoma. We were both shocked when they insisted she stay in, at least until the middle of next week, for tests, etc.

After leaving my wife (and me) in tears, I have come home to my little boy, who thanks to family, has been well looked after - once he was settled in bed and after several text messages to my wife I thought I could have 10 minutes to myself - then the phone rings... it’s my sister, who NEVER rings me (we message or talk in person).

My mum, who has been suffering from the early onset of dementia for a while has been hospitalised. Worse, she has stopped breathing. They have managed to resuscitate, but don’t think they should if she has another event...

Shit, life hangs by a thread and all people can do is moan about politics (guilty)... life and family are so so much more important then all this other shit. Live your lives, have your own opinions, but just remember - it doesn’t really matter, does it?

So sorry to hear of your families health issues. It is one reason why Politics matters though, that we have the hospitals to care for us, or the social care if needed, to a standard fit for purpose in every case.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I have been quite vocal on the Election thread and chucked my two pence worth into the Brexit thread, over the last couple of days, but ultimately what does it all matter...

I have taken my wife to hospital today, as she is suffering from the early stages of lymphoma. We were both shocked when they insisted she stay in, at least until the middle of next week, for tests, etc.

After leaving my wife (and me) in tears, I have come home to my little boy, who thanks to family, has been well looked after - once he was settled in bed and after several text messages to my wife I thought I could have 10 minutes to myself - then the phone rings... it’s my sister, who NEVER rings me (we message or talk in person).

My mum, who has been suffering from the early onset of dementia for a while has been hospitalised. Worse, she has stopped breathing. They have managed to resuscitate, but don’t think they should if she has another event...

Shit, life hangs by a thread and all people can do is moan about politics (guilty)... life and family are so so much more important then all this other shit. Live your lives, have your own opinions, but just remember - it doesn’t really matter, does it?

Thoroughly agree with that. Best wishes and try and keep positive. Shingle

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Had my first lesson in the vagaries of cancer treatmeny today - don't plan anything...!

Little one and I were ready for our trip to see Santa at Leeds castle, but when I messaged my wife to let her know we were on the way she said she was feeling poorly.

I told her I would call in with our little man, so she could see him as she hasn't seen him since Friday and missed him.

When I got to the hospital the nurses and doctor had worked on my wife and had given her anti-nausea tablets, pain killers and a pep talk!

We enjoyed our couple of hours out, but she was tired by the end of it - it was just nice to be "normal" for a couple of hours, even if she did still have her hospital "bracelet" on and didn't want to be included in the photo with Santa!

It was a lovely time, that was all too short and makes you realise how precious and fragile life is...!

Next Christmas will be so much better...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Had my first lesson in the vagaries of cancer treatmeny today - don't plan anything...!

Little one and I were ready for our trip to see Santa at Leeds castle, but when I messaged my wife to let her know we were on the way she said she was feeling poorly.

I told her I would call in with our little man, so she could see him as she hasn't seen him since Friday and missed him.

When I got to the hospital the nurses and doctor had worked on my wife and had given her anti-nausea tablets, pain killers and a pep talk!

We enjoyed our couple of hours out, but she was tired by the end of it - it was just nice to be "normal" for a couple of hours, even if she did still have her hospital "bracelet" on and didn't want to be included in the photo with Santa!

It was a lovely time, that was all too short and makes you realise how precious and fragile life is...!

Next Christmas will be so much better...

Thanks for update. Stay strong......

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I hope people don’t object to me using this thread like my own personal blog space? It’s quite cathartic putting my thoughts down here, I just don’t want to bore people, although I guess the answer there is, don’t read it... :smile:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I hope people don’t object to me using this thread like my own personal blog space? It’s quite cathartic putting my thoughts down here, I just don’t want to bore people, although I guess the answer there is, don’t read it... :smile:

.... not at all. There surely cannot be a more important purpose to social media than reaching out to others in times of despair or in hope of a sensitive reader; and you have already done a lot of good because others are following your lead and telling their stories too - and that may very well be carthartic for them. Keep us up to date.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

Not at all. I find it quite inspiring how you and a few others have coped in these awful situations. Not sure if would have coped as well. As others have said, hope you have better news in the battles ahead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You carry on, mate. Anybody who objects will get pelters. Very best wishes. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here