Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isn't it time to recognize Nigel Adkins as one of few new great English managers?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think Adkins's biggest achievement so far is to have kept as small a club as Scunthorpe in the Championship with far fewer resources than he has at Southampton (or Gus now has, to be honest); a similar achievement to McGhee in 2004-5. He was supposedly in the frame for the Albion job when Gus was appointed. What we would have thought of him by now, we can only guess. Would he have kept us up in 2009-10? I don't know. I have wondered if the "keeping up" remarks last season were a bit of needle over not getting the Albion job. As others have said, he is doing a (very) good job, and Saints are clearly doing better than most would have expected. Great? Only time will tell.

TottonSFC

Oct 19, 2011
I think Adkins's biggest achievement so far is to have kept as small a club as Scunthorpe in the Championship with far fewer resources than he has at Southampton (or Gus now has, to be honest); a similar achievement to McGhee in 2004-5. He was supposedly in the frame for the Albion job when Gus was appointed. What we would have thought of him by now, we can only guess. Would he have kept us up in 2009-10? I don't know. I have wondered if the "keeping up" remarks last season were a bit of needle over not getting the Albion job. As others have said, he is doing a (very) good job, and Saints are clearly doing better than most would have expected. Great? Only time will tell.

I don't think Adkins is a man that will make snide remarks over not getting a job, he seems a man of morals and refused to leave Scunthorpe to Saints until Saints paid Scunthorpe what they (scunthorpe) wanted.

Strange to think that Poyet apparently was bitter about not being offered the Saints job and Adkins may have been upset about not being offered the Brighton job. Wonder how we would fare if we swapped managers....

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Blinded by jealousy, Gus has spent more than Adkins yet you thought Poyet was the best thing since sliced bread until he has been shown up as a one trick pony, Adkins has a plan A, B, C etc Gus doesn't and until he develops that he will never be a top manager

Alot in what you say.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Don't understand why anyone still thinks the England job is a step up from managing at club level. It's a shite job, too much pressure, no time to work with players and when you do have the players at your disposal, there are inter-club rivalries to deal with and many players who just don't care about playing for their country.

The England managers job ideally is for a manager in his 60's who has been there and done it and bored of doing the day to day coaching side of things and is more a good man motivator than he is a coach. Despite the fact I hate him, Redknapp is probably the best out of a bad bunch right now and the job should never be given to a younger manager.

£6m a year says its s step up!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
It's nice to see Gus was delighted to shake Adkins hands. Tool.

0,,10280~10214080,00.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Probably remembering your Tool's pathetic refusal to acknowledge who were champions last season.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
What has he won? Maybe if he wins the Championship next May, gets the Saints promoted and into the top half of the Prem for a couple of years, then you could start calling him a great manager but at the moment he is just another manager who has a runner up place to his name. That is being realistic not because he is at Southampton.

How about... three promotions and a league title in the space of five years? Much more than your racist chimp has achieved :D

Adkins has got countless qualifications and degrees, a great talent for building confidence and team spirit, and he knows his football inside out. He's certainly one of the best young English managers around at the moment. Time will tell if he goes on to be one of the greats.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
How about... three promotions and a league title in the space of five years? Much more than your racist chimp has achieved :D

Adkins has got countless qualifications and degrees, a great talent for building confidence and team spirit, and he knows his football inside out. He's certainly one of the best young English managers around at the moment. Time will tell if he goes on to be one of the greats.

great manager my arse.. hes doing an undoubtedly good job in a job with strong resources.. but its absurd to suggest hes a great manager.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
They are pretty predicatible tho.

It gows like this.
tactic 1 - passs it for the firsat 20 minutes around and try and break them through the middle.
When that doesn't work, change to
tactic 2 - hit high long diagonal balls into the area for the big lump up front to get on the end of.

It's not rocket science. it;s highly effective and it helps even more that teams turn up to St mary's just trying to stop them, rather than trying to beat them

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Adkins or Gus

The results of this poll are looking very :facepalm:

A month ago 81% percent of people on here thought Gus was better than Adkins. I think it's this that the Southampton fans are having a dig at.

And quite rightly too.

I would hope both clubs are behind their manager. Oddly I think both have potentially found clubs they can go a long way with. The big six or seven rarely go for English managers (Redknapp at Tottenham aside) so if he takes them up Adkins has very few clubs that will be a step up.

If Poyet takes us on a bit in a couple of years he does have the big name though (which shouldn't make any difference but it does).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

and he has an ex Albion player as his number two.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Done a good job down there so far, but to say he is one of the greatest English managers is just stupid. Wait till the end of the season, if they throw away this lead at the top then he will be a called a clown. Also if they do make it to the Premiershite, he will be found out straight away.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

0,,10280~10214080,00.jpg

To be honest that was the exact same face I was pulling post match :( - I'd have been more pissed off if he was happy!

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Yes Adkins is doing a good job and i know this is a football forum but its predominantly a Brighton board, however there seems to be an "Adkins is great" thread every week, is that really necessary. I'm not bitter but just bored of it a little to be honest

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gus Poyet has got greater football perception than Nigel Adkins and this will show in the long term. Gus also thinks about the game more and as somebody said, the Southampton back room squad must be good. Adkins is your executive type. He likes to be the boss. This means certain players (like Billy Sharp) will not sign for him and there will be falling outs.

Still Southampton might very well come second (again) this season as they have some good players and the rest of the clubs haven't got so many.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here