Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isn't It Time That Welly Was Granted A Testimonial By Bha?

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Isn't It Time That Welly Was Granted A Testimonial By BHA?

I know that there are a few of you out there who object to the pinciple of professional footballers receiving testimonials, so this thread is not for you.

Testimonials have been part of the football scene for many years and have been looked upon as a way clubs can repay players who have demonstrated loyalty. The promise of a testimonial year has been used by many clubs to stall a wages increment request by a player.

It has been said that Chappers was told that if he moved to Gillingham it would not jeopardize his promised testimonial. That hasn't been the case. Our IAN CHAPMAN was shat on from a great height by the previous administration at BHA.

Ian played for the Albion, and was a near ever-present, for over nine years and made over three hundred appearances. He played in some testimonial matches in aid of some of his team-mates whose Albion careers were not so impressive. Testimonials were made for the Ian Chapmans of the football world.

I have many memories of Chappers. I remember his forlorn figure bringing up the rear of the Albion team as they circuited Wembley Stadium after their defeat in the play off final against Notts County: I remember a great goal he scored at Dean Court and I remember the disgraceful scene, when his own inebriated manager decked him with a single punch after a football charity dinner. It was shortly after this that Ian was persuaded that his Albion career was over.

Well what do you think? What are your memories of him?

PS . I would also like to learn what he is up to now.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The supporters club are pushing for this too. Once we're settled in at Falmer would be the best time for this in my humble opinion.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think Gerry Ryan was too. But Chapman was always called Welly at Longhill.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
I'll clear up the nickname query first. Ian was nicknamed Welly as a kid when he used to turn up for kickabouts in his wellington boots. The name stuck.

As for Gerry Ryan, I think that , and I don't know why, he was actually nicknamed Wellygogs by the fans of BHA.

Thanks Man On The Run for advising me that Ian is still manager at Whitehawk. It is typical of Chappers that he is putting something back in to the game that he made a living from.

I am glad to hear that the supporters club are pushing for his testimonial, dougdeep. I share your view that an ideal time for a match on Welly's behalf would be at our new stadium, if built. My concern is that it is now over eight years since he last kicked a ball on the Albion's behalf, and nothing has been said by the club, in public, that they intend to right this injustice.

I am mindful that DK and the board have another and more important burning issue to deal with at the moment. I do feel, however, that this is an easier issue, and it wouldn't be too distracting for them to look at the situation.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
The man is a legend and definately deserves some kind of recognition. Brighton through and through! Hard as nails and towards the end of his albion career when the club was in free fall, losing week in week out, he was one of the few that turned up and gave it his all every game! Sad news when he left :(

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Yoda said:
Kerry wants to wait for Falmer too.

Yoda. With due respects old son. The Ginger Prince is still in the camp and will fight his own battles. This thread is about Ian Chapman who is out on a limb and needs the fans of Brighton to take up the cause on his behalf.

Bevendean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Bevendean
Chappers is now a antique dealer. As well as being manager of whitehawk.

Yoda

English & European
Waterhall Wizard said:
Yoda. With due respects old son. The Ginger Prince is still in the camp and will fight his own battles. This thread is about Ian Chapman who is out on a limb and needs the fans of Brighton to take up the cause on his behalf.

Defiantly agree that he deserver’s one. Always gave 200% during the gory years. :clap2:

Bevendean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Bevendean
Dont think his hard up his got to make a living. I know ian well and hope this all falls in to place 4 him, he was telling me about it some time ago. But nothing has ever come of it. His brighton through and through. So lets hope it comes off for him.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Bevendean Gull said:
. . . . . . . . I know Ian well and hope this all falls in to place 4 him, he was telling me about it some time ago. But nothing has ever come of it. He's Brighton through and through. So lets hope it comes off for him.

BG. Were you one of the troupe that Welly used to get tickets for when he was playing? He used to get any spare comps that he could lay his hands on for his family and mates. They were a great bunch and I missed them sorely in the players' lounge after Ian had left the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here