Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wilkins really a great coach?

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Dean is a Good Coach and manager - i just hope that if he does go ( and i want him to stay but would not blame him if he didn't) he will go onto a club that appreciates him - Dick and the board don't seem too - still if he did go to another club what a great bit of business - who would have the last laugh because it certainly wouldn't be Dick!!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Most of the players have said he is an innovative and exceptional coach, even the ones who have criticised him. You only have to listen to his interviews to realise his 'people' skills are lacking a little, but I am sure he will receive plenty of offers to coach at a higher level as he has built a very good reputation.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The jury may be out on his ability as a senior pros coach but with juniors their can be no dispute. To take a team like Brighton to the FA Youth Cup Semis is no mean feat. At the highest level he was still learning.

Micky Adams has no such excuse, as an experienced manager he should walk this league.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
A good coach? Possibly.

A good manager? In his dreams.

A target for other clubs? In their nightmares.

A decent bloke? Almost certainly.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
clearly a good coach, Savage has done bugger all before he got here and left with a fair few goals scored granted not the finest player, but definite improvement. He has brought on a whole bunch of youth team products and made them into first team players. Also on the people skills bit what about Whing on loan and then turned down other offers to come here and then you have Richards choosing to re join on loan and talking very positively about the club same with Westlake.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
clearly a good coach, Savage has done bugger all before he got here and left with a fair few goals scored granted not the finest player, but definite improvement. He has brought on a whole bunch of youth team products and made them into first team players. Also on the people skills bit what about Whing on loan and then turned down other offers to come here and then you have Richards choosing to re join on loan and talking very positively about the club same with Westlake.

Thats a very fair point. Regardless of anything else Wilkins has definitely got a lot of ability.

I think what didn't work was the relationship between Dean and Dick. Who is to blame for that is anyones guess. My view is that Dick dominated too much with regards to player negotiations, but I doubt we will ever really know. They are very very different people that's for sure.

But ultimately I think Dick has always struggled with managers since Micky left. Micky is a lot like Dick Knight (with a few less years) and therefore they naturally bond, that didn't happen with Dean, but in my book that doesn't make him a bad manager.

Lets hope renewing the relationship of Micky and Dick works.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
DW seems a nice guy and a student of the game. he's ideal for bringing along young players and teaching them how to improve. Some of the football played was a joy to watch.

However, I thought he was over cautious. Games like Gillingham away last year we should have won but he changed tactics, went defensive and the inittive was lost. Gillingham was just one example, there were more.

Defending at corners, bringing the whole team back, it just brought the opposition on to us.

The back line not pushing up enough, this kept the midfield back to cover space and left the forwards isolated.

Our poor corners & free kicks. With DW such an expert as a player, we should have expected better.

The numerous poor starts by the team, why were they not 'up for it' at every game?

I think that the weaknesses that Dean has are exactly the strenghs that MA has, and probably vice versa as well (I could see Adams losing patience with a young player). I do hope that DW stays and is given a real role because, together, both men tick all the boxes.

As for Dick, well he's got a proven record for getting it right. Uncle Dick is still ruthless in his drive & ambition and that's what has kept the club going through these last 10 years.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On balance, I think he is an excellent coach, and he wasn't 'sacked' because of his coaching abilities.

For a measure of how highly he is considered, he turned down at least three very good offers for Youth coaching at other larger clubs - and I too had heard that one of them was Manchester United, though it was an average source. More pertinently, Micky Adams tried to lure him to Leicester and to Coventry. And he definitely wants him to stay here.

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
Dean Wilikins Great coach great manager great guy

I love the way that 90% of you on here talk as if you've been in the squad all season and know Dean intimately, when the truth is that very very few of you know the slightest jot about him and take, and make your opinions based on supisition, rumours and third hand anticdotes.

Dean Wilkins is a fantastic coach, he reads the game like someone who has coached in the Champions League for years and deals with the lads on an equitable basis. You will always get dissent from players who aren't playing so if you want to believe any of that then that's your choice.

The controversial diamond formation is an endorsement of his capabilites as it's very difficult to coach and our use of it away at Forest and Leeds shows how effective he was in emparting that to the players.

So let's give the guy some credit in what he achieved this year, base it on fact and let's wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do, because I'll tell you one thing about him, he's Brighton through and through.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I love the way that 90% of you on here talk as if you've been in the squad all season and know Dean intimately, when the truth is that very very few of you know the slightest jot about him and take, and make your opinions based on supisition, rumours and third hand anticdotes.

Dean Wilkins is a fantastic coach, he reads the game like someone who has coached in the Champions League for years and deals with the lads on an equitable basis. You will always get dissent from players who aren't playing so if you want to believe any of that then that's your choice.

The controversial diamond formation is an endorsement of his capabilites as it's very difficult to coach and our use of it away at Forest and Leeds shows how effective he was in emparting that to the players.

So let's give the guy some credit in what he achieved this year, base it on fact and let's wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do, because I'll tell you one thing about him, he's Brighton through and through.

Agreed, and it's that last phrase there that makes me believe he won't be walking out of the door just yet.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

EDITED - Misread this part of the post.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
EDITED - Misread this part of the post.

I've got to be honest, as much as i'd like him to stay, if I were him i'd just wait for one of the big premiership of championship clubs to come along and offer me loads of dollar to become their Youth Development Manager. He did fantastically well at that and no doubt there would be loads of opportunities for him there.

As much as he was undoubtedly Albion through and through, the way this was all handled I know if it was me i'd be telling Dick to f*** off!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've got to be honest, as much as i'd like him to stay, if I were him i'd just wait for one of the big premiership of championship clubs to come along and offer me loads of dollar to become their Youth Development Manager. He did fantastically well at that and no doubt there would be loads of opportunities for him there.

As much as he was undoubtedly Albion through and through, the way this was all handled I know if it was me i'd be telling Dick to f*** off!

But dat's PRIDE fuckin' wid'ya, man.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Agree with all of that.:)

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Football

I think it is interesting that so many people think Wilkins is a great coach. I didnt see much evidence of that myself - can anyone provide that? I think the continuing lack of development of Jake Robinson under both McGhee and Wilkins has been sad. Lets hope he can become the really exciting player he has often promised to be under Adams. Also, Cox seems to have stalled in his development. It is a crucial time now for him, if he is going to push on and become a really influential player.

Also, Wilkins tactics were often too negative, and the players didnt seem to execute them with any enthusiasm. It often broke down into meaningless passes around defence followed by a hopeful hoof up the pitch. We survived becuase we had two good strikers. That will not be a problem under Micky Adams - remember his teams played with so much energy and commitment that the opposition would usually buckle in the end.

Finally, I may be wrong. Football is a ruthless, success driven game; and if wilkins is as good a coach as people here say, it will be known in football circles and he will get another job elsewhere - and I will wish him well. If not - well, I guess thats life.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton

Well said Brightonbear :thumbsup: I'm glad someone who knows the situation has jumped to his defence. Because some of the idiots on here are too busy salivating over Mickey Adams, to even give two shits about Wilkins.

As for everyone else on here. We all know that Brightonbear is an "insider" and more than likely a player at the club as well. He is in a MUCH better position to evaluate Wilkins as a manager, as a coach and as a person. So next time you wish to slag him off why don't you have a read of Brightonbears post first!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
As for everyone else on here. We all know that Brightonbear is an "insider" and more than likely a player at the club as well. He is in a MUCH better position to evaluate Wilkins as a manager, as a coach and as a person. So next time you wish to slag him off why don't you have a read of Brightonbears post first!

paul reid is an insider as well, and he wasnt too complimentary in what he said in the argus.....

gary hart said on here in his thank you thread he had enjoyed every moment at the club, apart from 1.5 years. i wonder who was in charge for them.....

paul reid is an insider as well, and he wasnt too complimentary in what he said in the argus.....

gary hart said on here in his thank you thread he had enjoyed every moment at the club, apart from 1.5 years. i wonder who was in charge for them.....

Well, if you thought about that for a moment .....what did both those players have in common, and what was it about OGH in the last 1.5 years that might hint at why he wasn't 'enjoying' it as much as before?

Let me answer that quandary for you;
Neither were getting a game.
Hart was not getting a game because his performances didn't warrant it. Like all aging players, they have to reach a "past-his-sell-by-date" time, and Gary (with all due respect) isn't likely to get swept up by a team in our division or above it. He was used sparingly this season, only when absolutely needed, and because he was being paid - while seeing out his contract.
Reid was hardly 'knuckling down' and being a consummate pro, passionate to get on and make his presence felt. The manifestation of his complaints AFTER he got the elbow, were just a little sour grapes.... that had to be embellished on by the Argus anyway.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here