Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wilkins really a great coach?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Well, if you thought about that for a moment .....what did both those players have in common, and what was it about OGH in the last 1.5 years that might hint at why he wasn't 'enjoying' it as much as before?

Let me answer that quandry for you;
Neither were getting a game.
Hart was not getting a game because his performances didn't warrant it. Like all aging players, they have to reach a "past-his-sell-by-date" time, and Gary (with all due respect) isn't likely to get swept up by a team in our division or above it.

that argument works both ways though...

so brightonbear is one of the youth players who has been brought through by wilkins, who has included him in the first team squad, and depending on who it is, possibly given him a debut and almost certainly a new contract for next season

he is hardly likely to go and slag him off after all that is he? especially if wilkins does come back as a coach next season and he has to WORK with him

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
paul reid is an insider as well, and he wasnt too complimentary in what he said in the argus.....

gary hart said on here in his thank you thread he had enjoyed every moment at the club, apart from 1.5 years. i wonder who was in charge for them.....

As NMH said. Neither of these players were getting a game, and both were released. That would give them a perfect reason to "have a dig".

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
As NMH said. Neither of these players were getting a game, and both were released. That would give them a perfect reason to "have a dig".

As Scotty Mac says, Brightonbear is a player who Wilkins has bought up, who has potentially given them their debut in the first team and a contract for next season. Also, they won't have played under a different/better manager. That would give them perfect reasons to praise Wilkins.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
As Scotty Mac says, Brightonbear is a player who Wilkins has bought up, who has potentially given them their debut in the first team and a contract for next season. Also, they won't have played under a different/better manager. That would give them perfect reasons to praise Wilkins.

and the fact it wouldnt exaclty by wise to have a dig at him when he might yet have a role to play with regards to their future next season

I love the way that 90% of you on here talk as if you've been in the squad all season and know Dean intimately, when the truth is that very very few of you know the slightest jot about him and take, and make your opinions based on supisition, rumours and third hand anticdotes.

Dean Wilkins is a fantastic coach, he reads the game like someone who has coached in the Champions League for years and deals with the lads on an equitable basis. You will always get dissent from players who aren't playing so if you want to believe any of that then that's your choice.

The controversial diamond formation is an endorsement of his capabilites as it's very difficult to coach and our use of it away at Forest and Leeds shows how effective he was in emparting that to the players.

So let's give the guy some credit in what he achieved this year, base it on fact and let's wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do, because I'll tell you one thing about him, he's Brighton through and through.

I'm glad you love the way that 90% of FANS talk about all things Albion on an ALBION FANS website :lolol:

What do you expect? These are the IMPRESSIONS of FANS of BHA, and people will talk about THEIR impressions!!

Anyway, your bottom line I cannot fault. I am sure he is extremely disappointed, maybe feeling somewhat hurt that he's been deposed as manager.
For so many fans - who have regarded Mickey Adams as a total legend for this club - you will read a lot of doubters, people who DO have misgivings and trepidations. That, Wes, is the testament you should read between the lines of.
A lot of us do respect what Dean has done for the club, do respect him as Albion through and through, and as a legend in his own rite.

For myself I hold doubts about this affair, and believe that DW was taking the club forward. It was a natural process for DW and the club together, in my opinion - and actually, I still think it's very possible that Dean Wilkins will be the man who leads Brighton into 'Falmer Stadium' or whatever it will be called.

That my friend, is this fan's impressions - educated or not.

that argument works both ways though...

so brightonbear is one of the youth players who has been brought through by wilkins, who has included him in the first team squad, and depending on who it is, possibly given him a debut and almost certainly a new contract for next season

he is hardly likely to go and slag him off after all that is he? especially if wilkins does come back as a coach next season and he has to WORK with him

Oh but I doubt 'brightonbear' is talking with any agenda in mind. It comes across as genuine and passionate regard, to my mind.
Which is what I mean by DW and the club being in the "natural process of bringing the club forward".

We'll have to see what the alternative means to BHAFC, in the long run.
Still, it doesn't have to be an 'alternative' process, if Dean stays at the club and maintains the job he was working on.

I hope he will, and would like to encourage him to do stay at The Albion for the greater good and the see the work through - regardless of the title it's under.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here