Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wilkins going to get the McGhee treatment

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Barrel of Fun said:
That may have been the only offer he would accept.

I dearly hope we can hold onto him. Perhaps offer him a contract with a release clauses. Minimum fee?

I do aswell, however Im not sure we even own him. TLO said something about us only buying his contract for this season and he still has a year at Le Harve after this.

Difficult to gauge, I guess. Collectively, they did make a huge impact and halt the decline.

They did and we are certainly higher because of them. I still dont think there was much point paying wages for players such as Bagayoko, Ward, Rehman and Flinders if we have no chance of signing them next season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
Check the posts by others. The 1st point is what a cretin is.

2nd point, I like the signings but is Wilkins a 'sacred cow' who can never be criticised? If so, how long does the 'honeymoon' last?

Cretin.......I like that word.

All managers are open to criticism Yorkie and next season will be the big test for Wilkins after he's had the summer to bring in players but I personally feel he's upto the task. I know some posters look at the fact that most of his signings have only been loans but thats where we are, Given our circumstances and restraints we're in a position of having to get by with home grown talent, loan signings and maybe a few players on short term contracts and Wilkins is exploiting this to the full. When I look at players like Whing, Bowdich, Flinders, Bertin, Savage, Ward, Rehman, O'gooner, They've all been good signings and have all played their part in securing points for the Albion so it shows that unlike his predecessor Wilkins is capable of getting players to join the Albion whatever the circumstances are.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Da Man Clay said:
He did make some good singings but in all fairness the only one who is worthwhile is Savage. The rest will be gone at the end of the season.

He wont be here. We made the mistake of only offering a six month contract.
So we should never sign anyone because they might leave one day?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Silent Bob said:
So we should never sign anyone because they might leave one day?

Is that what I said? I dont think we should sign players on loan till the end of the season and waste wages when they aren't required.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Which ones aren't required? Bakayogo has has injuries and then an international call up, but him aside they have all contributed and still can contribute. And I'm not sure many would agree with you that they weren't required.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Silent Bob said:
Which ones aren't required? Bakayogo has has injuries and then an international call up, but him aside they have all contributed and still can contribute. And I'm not sure many would agree with you that they weren't required.

Flinders second month, the first month was too early for Sullivan to play. Robinson/Hart could have played the Ward role. Rehman unless we are looking at permanent. Bagayoko wasn't needed at all as we have 2 left backs already.

Yorkie said:
I agree with you.

What I don't understand is some of you agreeing with NMH that Wilkins is leading the club back to the highway. We are 15th which is only one position different to when McGhee left. It is the lower half of the table (I expected about 12th or 11th) and the crowds at Withdean are reflecting this.
I wouldn't call that the highway.
I also think Wilkins is fixated on the diamond formation at the moment. He should have switched things around on Saturday against Huddersfield when Robinson was man marked out of the game by Worthington. His substitutes didn't make a difference.

I don't want to slate Wilkins but he doesn't inspire me either.

Looking at the squad and the style of play Yorkie, that's where I draw the conclusion that DW is trying to lead BHA back to a hopeful situation with potential. We shed our potential under magoo, and the path was narrowing, to hope that things could be turned around.
Yes, we attained little change in position, and crowds haven't been a revelation either. But for a couple of turns of luck, a bit of form at the right time (i.e. Bristol City a couple of games ago) we would have increasing gates and a few more points.

Wilkins isn't yet a proven inspiration to behold, his teams bear out that he hasn't yet mastered total tactical brilliance. I don't think his tactics are daring, versatile, or necessarily match-winning. I sometimes wonder if he does really gather the concept of playing to the squad strengths, or can make telling substitutions in the right places.....but that also requires the player pool to allow for adaptability.

I don't see him publically chastising, or alienating players, and I do see him working towards something interesting with BHA. A couple of poor games don't divert from that, and I trust that he learns from those games as much (if not more than) the thrilling wins (or draws, as v Scunthorpe)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here