Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wilkins going to get the McGhee treatment

Dandyman

In London village.
Yorkie said:
I agree with you.

What I don't understand is some of you agreeing with NMH that Wilkins is leading the club back to the highway. We are 15th which is only one position different to when McGhee left. It is the lower half of the table (I expected about 12th or 11th) and the crowds at Withdean are reflecting this.
I wouldn't call that the highway.
I also think Wilkins is fixated on the diamond formation at the moment. He should have switched things around on Saturday against Huddersfield when Robinson was man marked out of the game by Worthington. His substitutes didn't make a difference.

I don't want to slate Wilkins but he doesn't inspire me either.

IMO we have a far more united squad, greater clarity of selection, tactics and substitutions, an on-going development of young players and some smart buys/loans. All of which is definitely an improvement on the last season under MM.

Let's at least give DW until the end of the season before we rush to judgement. The real test will be, of course, whether or not next season is a step up or step down from this one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yorkie said:
I agree with you.

What I don't understand is some of you agreeing with NMH that Wilkins is leading the club back to the highway. We are 15th which is only one position different to when McGhee left. It is the lower half of the table (I expected about 12th or 11th) and the crowds at Withdean are reflecting this.
I wouldn't call that the highway.
I also think Wilkins is fixated on the diamond formation at the moment. He should have switched things around on Saturday against Huddersfield when Robinson was man marked out of the game by Worthington. His substitutes didn't make a difference.

I don't want to slate Wilkins but he doesn't inspire me either.
You're not considering context here.

Wilkins inherited a bit of a mess. And he has had to tidy it up - with kids. In that respect, he has done a sound job. The position in the table we are in may well reflect the status of the squad at the moment, but in no way does it tell the whole story.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Large One said:

Wilkins inherited a bit of a mess. And he has had to tidy it up - with kids. In that respect, he has done a sound job. The position in the table we are in may well reflect the status of the squad at the moment, but in no way does it tell the whole story.

You are wasting your breath, but you are absolutely correct.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:

I disagree Wilkins inherited a mess. I was at the Rotherham and Forest games away and we played well. We were unlucky to concede a penalty at Forest to lose 2-1. We never beat Crewe and Bristol City have beaten us three times this season. That wasn't a mess but the way our games have gone all season. Most fans wanted McGhee out but that doesn't make it a mess. The team were playing reasonably well.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
algie said:
You are wasting your breath, but you are absolutely correct.

Wasting his breath talking to a cretin eh?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
bhafc4eva said:
I hope so. Mark was unfairly treated, so i hope wilkins gets like-wise if we are not performing. Can't believe he isn't getting grief at the moment with the crap we are being forced to watch.

Wilkins OUT :angry:
Andy Naylor? ???

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
I disagree Wilkins inherited a mess. I was at the Rotherham and Forest games away and we played well. We were unlucky to concede a penalty at Forest to lose 2-1. We never beat Crewe and Bristol City have beaten us three times this season. That wasn't a mess but the way our games have gone all season. Most fans wanted McGhee out but that doesn't make it a mess. The team were playing reasonably well.

It was a mess Yorkie! McGhee had lost the plot at the arse end of the season before and there was no way he was going to pull it back.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's a matter of opinion. The fact that I am supposed to have congenital defect of my thyroid system doesn't allow me to have an opinion.

I know McGhee had come to the end of his time here. What I cannot understand is the way that people cannot have a discussion about Wilkins without being insulted. Wilkins isn't wonderful although he has done ok. For me the jury is still out.
Is that ok?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
It's a matter of opinion. The fact that I am supposed to have congenital defect of my thyroid system doesn't allow me to have an opinion.

I know McGhee had come to the end of his time here. What I cannot understand is the way that people cannot have a discussion about Wilkins without being insulted. Wilkins isn't wonderful although he has done ok. For me the jury is still out.
Is that ok?

On your 1st point i'd let the doctor check that one out.

On your 2nd point who's insulting who? IMO Wilkins is the manager to take us foreward and i've been very impressed with his signings of late, Bertin, Savage, Flinders

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
British Bulldog said:
On your 1st point i'd let the doctor check that one out.

On your 2nd point who's insulting who? IMO Wilkins is the manager to take us foreward and i've been very impressed with his signings of late, Bertin, Savage, Flinders

Check the posts by others. The 1st point is what a cretin is.

2nd point, I like the signings but is Wilkins a 'sacred cow' who can never be criticised? If so, how long does the 'honeymoon' last?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yorkie said:
Check the posts by others. The 1st point is what a cretin is.

2nd point, I like the signings but is Wilkins a 'sacred cow' who can never be criticised? If so, how long does the 'honeymoon' last?

2nd point - good point....... the jury is still out on Wendy in my opinion too.

GOOD POINTs -

Bringing young players through
Team didn't implode after MM's sacking
Bertin, Savage, Flinders et al
No player rifts
Experimentation
Halted a really bad losing streak

BAD POINTS
Tactically naive at times - e.g. what Yorkie said about Saturday
Too loyal to certain players
Took so long to halt the losing streak
No league improvement (altho do we have the team?)

So far Wendy comes across as an average manager for a club in transition that is marking time and building. I've seen nothing to suggest that he can take us forward from here.... but that does not mean he can't. I'm not calling for his head but I will expect some improvement next season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
2nd point - good point....... the jury is still out on Wendy in my opinion too.

GOOD POINTs -

Team didn't implode after MM's sacking
Bertin, Savage, Flinders et al
No player rifts
Experimentation

BAD POINTS

So far Wendy comes across as an average manager for a club in transition that is marking time and building. I've seen nothing to suggest that he can take us forward from here.... but that does not mean he can't. I'm not calling for his head but I will expect some improvement next season.
I, on the other hand, have seen PLENTY to think he can take us forward. :)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

GOOD POINTs -

No player rifts

BAD POINTS

Young players have been brought on as we have no choice. Hasn't he fallen out with Hart? He halted a losing streak that he got us into so dont see how that can be classed good.

He did make some good singings but in all fairness the only one who is worthwhile is Savage. The rest will be gone at the end of the season.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Da Man Clay said:
Young players have been brought on as we have no choice. Hasn't he fallen out with Hart? He halted a losing streak that he got us into so dont see how that can be classed good.

He did make some good singings but in all fairness the only one who is worthwhile is Savage. The rest will be gone at the end of the season.
Alexis Bertin?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Da Man Clay said:

He hasn't picked Hart it's true but we haven't had a blow up of the magnitude of Leon, Kuipers and CKR have we?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He hasn't picked Hart it's true but we haven't had a blow up of the magnitude of Leon, Kuipers and CKR have we?

Who knows? If we have Wilkins has dealt with it correctly and left it behind closed doors.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Barrel of Fun said:
Apart from potentially saving our League One status.

I dont think there was ever much chance of us getting relegated to be honest, I think our squad is far to good.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The Large One said:
Alexis Bertin?

He wont be here. We made the mistake of only offering a six month contract.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Da Man Clay said:
He wont be here. We made the mistake of only offering a six month contract.

That may have been the only offer he would accept.

I dearly hope we can hold onto him. Perhaps offer him a contract with a release clauses. Minimum fee?

Da Man Clay said:
I dont think there was ever much chance of us getting relegated to be honest, I think our squad is far to good.

Difficult to gauge, I guess. Collectively, they did make a huge impact and halt the decline.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here