Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wayne Rooney World class?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
On his day he's quality, but he's not as standout brilliant as say Ashley Cole is as a left back. He doesn't have many 'days' for England though, if any.

As I asked my brother mid-match yesterday; "Has Rooney ever played well for England?" - answer "No"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another Rooney apologist....sorry but even if Rooney had been playing twice a week up to last night people would have come on here and said he needed a rest. Every tournament there is another excuse for him....tired, injured, personal issues etc....anything but the bloody truth.
HE AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

This

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No no no, you get me wrong, I am not trying to say he is world class, just that he was dumped straight back into the side based on his reputation, rather than form/fitness. He would have put on a much better showing had he not had his petulant moment a few months ago to get himself sent off. Not saying it would have made much/any difference to the team, but he would have looked slightly more up to standard than he did against Ukraine or Italy

Fair point. I totally agree with this business about playing him on reputation above anything else. Last night he was kept on when he was clearly struggling and Wellbeck was the one sacrificed.
Mind you, Young was kept on as well when he was struggling painfully. Why? Because Hodgson had built his hopes around the 5 main penalty takers..Gerrard, Rooney, Young, Cole and Hart and there was no way he was taking any of those off before 120 mins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And he slagged off the England fans who rightly voiced their disappointment in SA. This is not world class.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But over the 2 games, he was given the ball plenty, and wasted it.

No ones fault but his own.

Not WORLD class.
Exactly this. Anyone who says otherwise wasn't watching the games properly. Against Ukraine (who are feeble), Rooney gave the ball away more than Ashley Young did last night - he was rubbish. Last night he really wasn't much better. I think people expect Rooney to be "as strong as an ox" in posession or something, but that isn't enough against better players who look equally as strong as well as being able to play football much better. He then just loses his rag.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But all will be forgotten when he smashes in a hat-trick against Reading next season.

Rooney is a similar situation to John Barnes for England. Both great for their clubs; but both underperformed for England and kept/keep their place based on a couple of standout performances and overall reputation.

England don't play in a way that suits him, but he still looks devoid of ideas when in possesion and half the time looks like he deosn't want to be there.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
You've just made the best joke!

Taking the Man Utd goggles off, can you hand on heart argue that there are any other WORLD CLASS players in the last 12 years who have played for England? Or are you arguing that the man who has had some of the best palyers in the world firmly in his back pocket for the past decade, isnt world class?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You missed all the times Balotelli was through on goal in acres of space last night then?

One of the (many) sad things about England's performance last night is that, although the defence collectively managed to keep the Italians out (with a lot of luck and very poor finishing from Balotelli et al) they were on the edge of disaster all night. A far cry from the 2002 World Cup when Ferdinand was world class, lightning fast, positionally astute and was voted defensive player of the tournament.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
As I asked my brother mid-match yesterday; "Has Rooney ever played well for England?" - answer "No"

He played well in the 2004 Euros till he broke his toe or did his achilles, if I remember correctly? Since then he's been poor. The World Cup in 2010 was his nadir but he did try to recreate the comedy of those performances last night.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Taking the Man Utd goggles off, can you hand on heart argue that there are any other WORLD CLASS players in the last 12 years who have played for England? Or are you arguing that the man who has had some of the best palyers in the world firmly in his back pocket for the past decade, isnt world class?

Perhaps Ashley Cole and Gerrard, plus Ferdinand between 2002 and 2006.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
David Beckham?

Oh please. He had one decent season for England - 2002 qualifying. Other than that, another bog standard England player made out to be the greatest player ever.

As someone else mentioned in a thread a while ago, you have to go back to Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton to find three truly world class English players. The only one who came close since then is Gazza and he lasted 5 minutes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On his day, yes. Unfortunately, "his day" seems to come around very, very rarely nowadays.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Joe Hart is on his way to becoming World Class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here