Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wayne Rooney World class?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
English football is not world class. Rooney would struggle to get into most teams in the tournament solely based on the 2 performances he put in. English football at international level needs a big kick up the rear end.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Rooney had a crap game and a crap tournament
He wasn't match fit for either game and that was his fault as he managed to absent himself from the team for the first two games
IMHO we should have used him as a substitute at most - I personally would not have even taken him to the tournament
Waste of space

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If he was playing for Spain, Germany or Italy he would have torn us to shreds tonight.

The simple fact is we dont create chances for him, and have to rely on him to create magic on his own.

Put Messi in Englands side tonight and he would not have got a kick either.

This.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Overrated but not massively. Hugely needs right players around him as he isn't very flexible to other systems (look at any England set ups since 2006). I'm a cloughy man: drop the man for the team. Shitty players are great if they fit in with the system. England looked v disciplined and gave themselves a real chance. First time since 2004. No dramas stick with Roy

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Apart from 2004 he's failed to produce at International level so I'd say he's not world class.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Without looking on Google I'm fairly sure Messi hasn't had a decent international tournament. Does that mean he is not world class?

Voted Young player of the Tournament Copa America 2007. He's been pretty consistent, creating more than he's scored.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nope. He does not seem to have the brain to go with his skill. The same applied to Gazza.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Compare him to other strikers of the last 25 years :

Gary Lineker 48 goals / 80 caps = 0.6 goals per game
Alan shearer 30 goals / 63 caps = 0.48 goals per game
Michael Owen 40 goals / 89 caps = 0.45 goals per game
Wayne Rooney 29 goals / 75 caps = 0.38 goals per game

He's underperforming and should be left on the bench, coming on as an impact player in the last 20 minutes if needed. We need to find a striker who's going to give us a goal every other game; one every three games isn't enough.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No Rooney is not World Class but as much as I hate to admit it Ashley Cole is. As a person not , football wise a big yes.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
According to Bond on BBC news they "restored some pride to the national game" or something. I don't know which game he was watching. I was watching England v Italy and we were shite. If Rooney is world class I'm the queen of Sheba.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here