Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this why away fans are underwhelmed by the Amex?

1964FOX

Sep 12, 2011
Thank you all for your replies about the Swan, I will ring the pub and check prior to the game to make sure we are allowed in as there will be 15 of us. Hopefully we should be ok but certain police forces really dont like us as we have some terrible history especially in London and often get treated as if we are all 80's thugs all belonging to a firm.
Thankfully things have changed and it's more tolerant now I have recently been in a Pompey and Palace (sorry for mentioning) home pub that I wouldn't have possibly got way with ten years ago.
However, if certain of our fans travel things still can change.
We still have issues locally of course, 8000 of us are going to Forest on Saturday and I don't think we will be welcome in any of their pubs.

Jonny Boy

Feb 4, 2011
When I worked there the South stand was the least important due to the fact it housed a lot less compared to the others stands. That said once the stadium is completed I think this will only enhance the away end as it will be closed up areas and give it a better feel compared to the open air concourse it currently is. This will help maintain large away followings as it will give away fans that have already been to sample the completed stadium.

I think the away end is far from what was originally thought out but I think it will only improve and I hope the away fans do continue to travel in their numbers as its more revenue for the club. I personally can't wait to see it complete and I think that buzz will filter through to away fans as well.

Ps I love the stadium already!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Swan is only a small pub, doubt there would be room for 15 of you!

the marquees outside though are more than enough if the weather isn't raining

plus you can get food from the bbq that is far superior to anything in the ground and doesn't involve a 15 minute queue

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
You said "Not all of these are plain envy, or sour grapes following defeat" I say the vast majority are, however this is only our first season the club has made fantastic strides in tryingg to ensure a fantastic matchday experiance and I am sure this will onluy improve next season

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I don't care what anyone thinks to be truely honest. Our stadium is one of the most impressive sporting arenas in the country, when we hopefully get planning permission to expand it, then it will be truely magnificent and a joy to behold.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
the marquees outside though are more than enough if the weather isn't raining

plus you can get food from the bbq that is far superior to anything in the ground and doesn't involve a 15 minute queue
On Monday, the two marquees in the car park were doing very well, with proper beers, excellent food and the matchday programme on sale. No queuing either, and inside the pub itself there were even a few seats available. The atmosphere when Doncaster, Hull and Barnsley fans came visiting was just how you'd want things to be. Anyone who hasn't yet tried it is missing a real pre-match treat.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
There are plenty of things wrong with the stadium but thankfully ALL of my complaints are very simply rectified. It is absolutely important to put on a good show for away fans if for no ther reason than to make them envious. I was told things pre completion that have turned out to be a joke (ie the away lighting) but let's hope fan power once again succeeds and the 'no can do crew' that run society take note of our ideas for improvement. Thankfully the nuts and bolts are in place it's just the people that have been handed this by Sir Tony that need to be directed.
What a shame I'm not running the Amex, the whole experience would become the envy of the world with queues of people desperate to part with cash on match days from dawn till dusk, and possibly beyond

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Ps slight change to last post, there would be no queues, I meant queues at the door at 9am to get in

Well, I hope you're not a club board member then :)

It's in our club's interest to make the Amex a place that home AND away fans want to visit, partly because of the income that full seats generate and partly because of the atmosphere. I'd much rather that away teams brought big noisy crowds like Leeds than puny quiet crowds like Burnley (yes the atmosphere against Burnley was amazing but it all came from us, they were completely silent all game). The better the impression that the away fans take with them, the more fans they'll bring next time, the more money our club will make and the better the atmosphere will be for everyone.

Yeah,yeah,yeah,I know all that but what more do they want.Maybe we should give them massaging seats and free beer.I`m sure Tony Millard would be up for giving them all a nice foot-rub.As I said...f*** `em.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
No one's mentioned that we have a brand spanking new stadium that reeks to high heaven of pies. Everywhere you go, pies.

Not that its a bad smell, but it does get on your nerves after a while.

Pies.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
No one's mentioned that we have a brand spanking new stadium that reeks to high heaven of pies. Everywhere you go, pies.

Not that its a bad smell, but it does get on your nerves after a while.

Pies.

Hahaha I've been thinking exactly the same but in a bit more detail. I reckon the place smells like a combination of pies and new magazines. I'm convinced its the steam from the pies mixing with the glossy packaging, whatever it is its f***ing weird.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Am I alone in not giving a shit if the opposition like or loathe our stadium?

No !!
At Least your not locked in like you are at Cardiff, stuffed into narrow concourses like Reading, Tiny bar etc at Birmingham,Having to up 5 flights of stairs with your tea at Ipswich !I could go on !!
And the beer is a lot better here than a lot of away grounds

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here