Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this why away fans are underwhelmed by the Amex?

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Many of us may have been surprised at the volume of critical comment voiced by visiting fans. Not all of these are plain envy, or sour grapes following defeat. Is it worth contrasting probable expectations with actual matchday experience?

The promise: a welcoming stadium, uniquely catering for visiting fans, even to the point of away-end decoration in club colours and images of great moments in their history. Their own, local-origin beers.

The reality: a thorough, pat-down body search for absolutely all of them, with no exceptions. A disappointingly plain concourse, featuring a single, club-coloured spotlight bulb (two for Palace) and a basic PowerPoint slideshow on a badly misaligned screen, high up in the roof. Local ale supplied in strictly limited quantities, often running out.

The Amex design: Expecting a radically different, beautifully designed stadium, those arriving by coach might see nothing more than the low sweep of the South Stand roof. Once seated, they notice big gaps in the corners, and single tiers on three sides. To them, the place looks disappointingly unfinished. Those wishing to be critical soon forget the unusually comfortable, wide-spaced seats and, depending on the result, decide they've just visited yet another modern, identikit, soulless ground.

After the game: understandably, visitors imagine they can only stay on in their designated concourse which, with the exit doors wide open, soon becomes an unpleasant wind tunnel. After a pint or two and perhaps another pie, they drift away, not realising what they could have experienced – the option of mingling for an hour or two with home fans in the much warmer, artwork-decorated West concourses or even better, space permitting, Dick's Bar.

The surroundings: it's widely misreported that the Amex, being out of town, is completely devoid of local pubs. Away fans who’ve done their homework will have discovered The Swan – perhaps our best kept secret – where landlord Martin makes them extremely welcome, with a good supply of food and excellent beers on offer.

There doesn't seem much point in any of us getting too upset by the criticisms. We all know what a fantastic place we now have as the Albion's permanent home. In time, visiting fans will come to realise just what they've been missing, and look forward in future to making the most of the experience.

As a regular visitor to the away concourse, post-match, and after speaking with several visiting fans, that's my take. Anyone else?

Er, that's what they've all said, so yeah. I love the place, put can totally see their point, it's not THAT amazing.

I had heard the away fans could drink in your end after the match but wasn't sure it was true. I will be making the most of your hospitality next month, I assume colours are ok. Also would one of you tell me where this Swan pub is that's mentioned and what time it opens.

Swan I believe will not allow Away fans.

Go to the ground and drink there.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Am I alone in not giving a shit if the opposition like or loathe our stadium?

this exactly - we love it and to be fair after 11 years at withdean - anything would be amazing - the stadium is great i love being in WSU - if/when it is finished it will be amazing and lets face it - i dont care what anyone thinks of the amex its our home and i love it.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I had heard the away fans could drink in your end after the match but wasn't sure it was true. I will be making the most of your hospitality next month, I assume colours are ok. Also would one of you tell me where this Swan pub is that's mentioned and what time it opens.

Yep, away colours in the north end afterwards will be fine, barring some teams or it being a controversial game.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I'm sorry, but it's bollocks that the away fans can't hear the north stand because, even when they quietly sang "we forgot that you were here" the Southampton fans responded with wolf whistles.

Sorry to break it to you, north stand just doesn't sound that loud at that end, not from where I am in wsl anyway..

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Am I alone in not giving a shit if the opposition like or loathe our stadium?

You most certainly are not. I can't believe people listen to them, especially given that the most/loudest moans come from those whose team have just lost. As for Southampton, they're clearly a very weird bunch anyway.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Who cares what they think. Its our team, our stadium !

Me and my lad look forward to every Amex trip as all he wants to do is shout and scream like we did Monday. He loves it just as much as I did with my old man at the Goldstone.

Thats good enough for me :amex:

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I disagree with some of this,We advise the away fans that if they want to drink longer they are very welcome to go down to the north satand where they will be made very welcome,if any of them ask for a local pub for a decent pre-match beer we draw them a quick map of how to get to the swan.The exit shutter is always opened because of the amount of people who want to drink and then go for a fag.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Is that some sort of Boo Boo?

Sorry about my spelling, I of course meant "The Beer" I read a lot on hear about having to wait for a BEER but I had no problem the away end seemed very good for that!!

I am trying to be nice to you all!!!!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
The Amex is without doubt the finest stadium with a capacity of under 40,000 in this country. However, the one thing I will agree with is the lack of noise from the North Stand. I sat in the East right next to the Liverpool fans for the cup match and, although I could tell the North was singing, I could hear very little. The West Stand, however, sounded about as loud as I have ever heard a home support at any stadium.

This is one of the mysteries of the stadium as from the North sometimes the West doesn't sound that loud, on other games when they get going it is very impressive. However, often you can hardly hear the away fans, even after certain games where the west stand have said they were very loud?

I can assure you I have gone home hoarse on more than 1 occasion from the north and it has sounded bloody loud whilst in amongst it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Better off asking the oppo where they'd rather be...

Goldstone?
Goldstone.png

Priestfield?
priestfield.jpg

Withdean?
withdean.jpg

Amex?
amex.jpg

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm sorry, but it's bollocks that the away fans can't hear the north stand because, even when they quietly sang "we forgot that you were here" the Southampton fans responded with wolf whistles.

It's not bollocks. I sat pretty much as far as you can go in the east stand away from the north for the Coventry game and when it's the north singing on it's own you can only just about hear it.

On the rest of the gripes I can understand them. The ground does currently look unfinished but obviously there is a good reason for that.....it is!! I also agree that both the ends look a bit weird but I see that as a quirk and something that sets it aside from the just add water bowls that have sprung up all over the country (Reading, Hull, Leicester, Southampton etc). Was talking to a Reading fan at work today and I mentioned that I went to Cov and he did nothing but slate the ground, apart from it having probably the worst transport links of any ground I've been to in this country I didn't mind it. Certainly preferred it to Madjetski anyway!

Brighton fans have also been guilty of buying the club spin prior to it's opening. You've only got to look at the number of threads on here about the grub every week. We were sold that every food kiosk would have it's own chef so people were expecting Egon Ronay but have ended up with Dave "It's my first day" The Student. Granted the pies have been a success (when they've had any!!) but that is about it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'M NOT BOTHERED ONE WAY OR THE OTHER WHAT THEY THINK...its the home supporters view that ultimately counts.....ps saints fans i talked to liked our stadium more than theres...end of

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here