Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the election best off losing?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
With all these proposed cuts, from all sides, to get us back in the black, whoever loses will surely have the box seat in opposition, sniping away saying how different it could have been without having to prove it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Could be right.Whoever is in power is going to make some 'tough decisions' as the politicians call it.Huge cuts and tax rises on the way....inevitable,the country is in the financial shit.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
With all these proposed cuts, from all sides, to get us back in the black, whoever loses will surely have the box seat in opposition, sniping away saying how different it could have been without having to prove it.

I remember saying the exact same thing in a discussion at work several months ago. My colleagues pooh-poohed the idea, pointing out that politicians are in politics to win but I'm sure that there will be some relieved faces on one side of the divide when they realise they don't have to implement anything.

I reckon Vince Cable will be particularly grateful, he's been a brilliant critic of what's gone wrong and will be able to continue in that role for some time, without ever be called on to make the decisions himself. Nice gig.

D

Deleted User X18H

When I first read this I thought it said erection so my answer was no never.

But actually 'call me Dave' is desperate to lead the country as he will inherit much of what Baroness Thatcher gawd bless her inherited in 1979. He could become our third greatest politician after her and Winnie.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Labour have lots to lose, IMO. They've built up a massive national debt, which more or less gives the Tories a free hand if they get in. If people don't like what the Tories do, they will simply point at "the mess" Labour left behind.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think the election is best losing. The fact is that governments nearly always lose popularity during their term in government, with a few exceptions (Labour's popularity went up after 9/11 and when Blair stood down for example). Following that rule of thumb, unless the next government forms a majority I would be highly sceptical of their ability to win a second term.

I do take Lord B's point though, we may find that the government will be able to get away with failures by pointing towards their 'married' partners.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
When I first read this I thought it said erection so my answer was no never.

But actually 'call me Dave' is desperate to lead the country as he will inherit much of what Baroness Thatcher gawd bless her inherited in 1979. He could become our third greatest politician after her and Winnie.

Get your blue specs off Tim

A large number of the problems we have today stem from the Baroness and her reign of terror.

Hows the canvassing going?

Has anyone uttered the immortal doorstep line yet, "F**k off I'm watching Emmerdale!"

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Labour have lots to lose, IMO. They've built up a massive national debt, which more or less gives the Tories a free hand if they get in. If people don't like what the Tories do, they will simply point at "the mess" Labour left behind.

This happens whenever the ruling party changes.The first four years of a new govt is "undoing" the previous mess,then there is another election.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Exactly, labour have spent the last 13 years blaming the tories, trouble is , nobody takes any notice .

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I give a coalition government 12-18 months max and then another election after irreconcilable differences. Losing and being in opposition may not be the best position, in that your arguments may not be central to the key decisions and in a second election people may find themselves voting for the coalition partner they thought was right.

With a three way split every vote will count for something, even if you have a nailed on certainty of an MP. There is going to be lots of talk of mandates, share of votes and moral rights to govern. All of which makes this the most exciting and unpredictable of elections in my living memory.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

A large number of the problems we have today stem from the Baroness and her reign of terror.

Has anyone uttered the immortal doorstep line yet, "F**k off I'm watching Emmerdale!"

Just how long can the Labour Party continue to blame the Tories and Thatchers rein though.....they have been in Power for 13 years now !

Time to get rid and give someone else a go.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
But actually 'call me Dave' is desperate to lead the country...He could become our third greatest politician after her and Winnie.

Brookes_28_711881a.jpg

[edit] - to be fair, the same cartoon could be said of any of the three party leaders, and the SNP too.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The only argument I would say is was Winnie greater than Mrs T I am not sure that he was as I think that she was the greatest ever and history will prove that in years to come.

Sorry Grandad. Winnie,as you know,was an opportunist who changed parties to get in to power.He also has the Gallipoli fiasco on his cv.

As for Thatcher,well...........the poll tax,the Falklands debacle,the dismemberment of society.Taking milk from children. My word she was great.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Nothing to do with Labour then,Harty???

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sorry Grandad. Winnie,as you know,was an opportunist who changed parties to get in to power.He also has the Gallipoli fiasco on his cv.

As for Thatcher,well...........the poll tax,the Falklands debacle,the dismemberment of society.Taking milk from children. My word she was great.

Dismemberment of society.....my arse,what bo----ks.:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here