Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Part of the Reason we Cannot Score?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
KinkyHitler said:
Yeah because he isnt the one that picks the side is he.

Proving my previous comment :)

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Uncle Buck said:
Not that great though and we have only won 2 of them.

Indeed, but I'd suggest that the fact that we've conceded 3 or more goals in 4 of those 13 matches is a rather more worrying statistic than our forward pairings.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
If McGhee continued to play an underperforming partnership and disregarded his other options, he would RIGHTLY be criticised by fans for not using his squad options.

And you know what? By exactly same people who do nothing but log on to NSC to have a pop at him now.

But claiming a partnership is underperforming because after ONE game they have not scored is very short sighted.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
London Irish said:
If McGhee continued to play an underperforming partnership and disregarded his other options, he would RIGHTLY be criticised by fans for not using his squad options.

And you know what? By exactly same people who do nothing but log on to NSC to have a pop at him now.

Although if McGhee would have allowed the partnership time to develop (i.e. not based on one game) we might have seen different results.

It's interesting that we have an entire thread about always playing the same two players up front - and not one of the Magoo critics have named their favoured pair yet.

Telling - isn't it?

This thread is not motivitated by a belief that we have two strikers far and away ahead of the others to be picked every week, it's just the usual "blame McGhee first" irrelevancy.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
It's interesting that we have an entire thread about always playing the same two players up front - and not one of the Magoo critics have named their favoured pair yet.

Telling - isn't it?

This thread is not motivitated by a belief that we have two strikers far and away ahead of the others to be picked every week, it's just the usual "blame McGhee first" irrelevancy.

Playing Carole up front was a masterstroke i thought as well, took him out the game in one move.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

Telling - isn't it?

My favoured pairing all season would have been Knight and CKR, but he even kept changing that one.

Now I have no idea, with what is in the squad probably Knight and Robinson, but I do not see that getting enough goals as we still have too much of a tendancy to get the ball in the air.

Part of the reason he has not found a favoured pair is that he does not play a pair for a sustained number of games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The chopping and changing up front has been getting on my tits for MONTHS now. Its not only the fact that the two up front need to be given a chance to develop a partnership and an understanding - the rest of the team needs to try to settle into a pattern of play to provide for those two strikers as well. The players we have up front all have different assets and different styles of play within the team, so how we are supposed to function properly as a unit when we're often getting 3 different front combos PER GAME is beyond me.

I wanted Kaz and Leon to be given at least half a dozen games together, but it never happened. Now I suppose if I were in McGhee's shoes, I'd go with Kaz/McCammon for at least 6 games to see how that pans out. We've got meagre resources as it is, but it doesn't help when we change things every 5 minutes.

Christ.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think most, if not all, our strikers are capable of making a telling contribution if they were playing with a bit of confidence.

However, that confidence is at a low and i believe that the best way to turn that around is for someone new to come in and get 3 or 4 goals. I think you would then see the other strikers wanting to take responsibility and a marked improvement in them all.

If we can get that injection of confidence, the rest of the team are capable of surviving another season in this division, but i'm not sure any pairing of our current strikers will turn around the confidence problem.

Or maybe i should just reel out a list of palyers and managers who could do a job ???

Last edited:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
You can't dismiss it as a reason as you do need to play together. Training is NOT the same.

That said I think that sequence reinforces the argument that we need said striker. It reads like a manager scratching around trying to work out the best option from some uninspiring performances.

Mind you I would imagine to some of you it could read like a manager who doesn't know what he's doing :nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
My favoured pairing all season would have been Knight and CKR, but he even kept changing that one.

He gave up on that because Leon didn't have the team spirit to to bring the best out of CKR, hence picking Hart to help CKR up his workrate. Seemed a fair comment to me

As the senior striker Leon let his co-strikers and teammates down big time with his hot and cold displays interspersed with tantrums

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyHitler said:
Playing Carole up front was a masterstroke i thought as well, took him out the game in one move.
By all means disagree with someone Kinky, but what you've just said there is absolute RUBBISH. Carole saw more of the ball on Saturday in that free role than he has in the last 3 games put together. How can you possibly say it "took him out of the game ?"

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Uncle Buck said:
So the money used on strikers that cannot score, should have been used to replace the defenders we punted in the summer?

We need a left back, and I'm not convinced that CKR was the best use of the Coca Cola money.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
He gave up on that because Leon didn't have the team spirit to to bring the best out of CKR, hence picking Hart to help CKR up his workrate. Seemed a fair comment to me

Knight has been done to death on here and it is not a partnership that will happen now, but I still think we need to give a striker pairing a run and be done with it.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
One thing that I think is a big problem is the wingers seem to not want to cross the ball. They get away down the wing and have players like McCammon, CKR and Hammond running into the middle. Instead of whipping the ball in straight away they fake a cross and cut back on their weaker foot. They then have to try and beat the defender again and either get tackled or pass it back to the full back who in turn passes it back to Tank or the keeper to hoof. Both Frutos and Carole (and Hart when he gets out there) can put in a decent cross, so why dont they? They might get cleared by a defender but sooner or later one will find a teammate. And getting it in early means they can run onto the ball and attack it rather than having to beat the defender standing still.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
I'd have gone for leon and colin too. Anyone know how many games they started together? Strikers need to play together in games (not just training) to form a decent partnership, not f-ing rocket science is it?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
By all means disagree with someone Kinky, but what you've just said there is absolute RUBBISH. Carole saw more of the ball on Saturday in that free role than he has in the last 3 games put together. How can you possibly say it "took him out of the game ?"

The problem with Carole playing in the deeper striker / free role is that CKR also likes to play there, so we had nobody leading the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here