Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Murray's year to win Wimbledon

Will Murray win Wimbledon

• Total voters

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Didn't the Americans or other favourites pull out that year due to some dispute, leaving the way open to a win that would never have happened with a full compliment of players. Or did I imagine that?
Top 12 seeds
1. Chris Evert (Semifinalist)
2. Martina Navratilova (Quarterfinalist)
3. Virginia Wade (Champion)
4. Sue Barker (Semifinalist)
5. Billie Jean King (Quarterfinalist)
6. Rosie Casals (Quarterfinalist)
7. Betty Stöve (Finalist)
8. Kerry Melville (Quarterfinalist)
9. Dianne Fromholtz (Withdrew before start)
10. Mima Jaušovec (Third round)
11. Françoise Durr (Third round)
12. Kathy May-Teacher (Fourth round)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm afraid it's SF again this year and no further. He is a brilliant player, but he has come along in an era of such amazing depth of all-time great players. Djokovic, Nadal and Federal will ALL get talked about as potential GREATS of the game for ever more, so for their careers to overlap as much as they have done is really quite remarkable.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
If Murray wins Wimbledon this year i will give every on this thread a tenner in monopoly money

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In ANY other tennis era he would have a BRILLIANT chance. He is a QUALITY player.

Anyone who can stick in the top 4 like him and reach the semi finals he has is.

Sadly he is playing at a time when THREE players will go down in the 'tennis greats' catagory.

Anyone who claims he is useless has NO IDEA.

Best post in the thread by a country mile.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Best post in the thread by a country mile.

Except it's bollocks because he wouldn't have beaten Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl Nastase, Sampras, Agassi and a whole host of others

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Except it's bollocks because he wouldn't have beaten Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl Nastase, Sampras, Agassi and a whole host of others

Yep.....the Borg/Connors/McEnroe/Gerulaitis/Vilas/Nastase era was just as tough as it is now...and he would have struggled to beat any of those six.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Top 12 seeds
1. Chris Evert (Semifinalist)
2. Martina Navratilova (Quarterfinalist)
3. Virginia Wade (Champion)
4. Sue Barker (Semifinalist)
5. Billie Jean King (Quarterfinalist)
6. Rosie Casals (Quarterfinalist)
7. Betty Stöve (Finalist)
8. Kerry Melville (Quarterfinalist)
9. Dianne Fromholtz (Withdrew before start)
10. Mima Jaušovec (Third round)
11. Françoise Durr (Third round)
12. Kathy May-Teacher (Fourth round)

Pretty strong line-up...at the point of the semi's..Sue Barker looked the best British bet but blew her semi against big Betty Stove. Then Virginia upset the applecart by knocking out the favourite ( Evert ). In Jubilee year, it could have been an all British final and SB would have been the fans favourite.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The only way Murray can win Wimbledon is if he poisons Djokovic's and Nadal's drinks....All the time those two are around he stands more chance of getting a wank from the Queen than winning Wimbledon.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The only way Murray can win Wimbledon is if he poisons Djokovic's and Nadal's drinks....All the time those two are around he stands more chance of getting a wank from the Queen than winning Wimbledon.

What about Federer? He has no chance against him whatsoever.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I really don't care this year. Not sure I could face another two weeks of Sue Barker and John Lloyd simpering about his prospects rather than talk about the best players, so in some ways I hope the axe falls sooner rather than in the semis again.

Feeling especially cynical about the tennis this year for some reason. "So, enough about Rafa Nadal, let's get straight back out to Court No17 where some middle-class bint from Berkshire has a point to pull back to 1-5 down against a Russian and avoid a 6-0, 6-0 whitewash."

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What about Federer? He has no chance against him whatsoever.

I think Federer would beat Murray but I wouldn't be quite so certain of it. Federer's best days are behind him now, not in front of him. That's not to say he couldn't still roll back the years and win it again, although I doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here