Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this Murray's year to win Wimbledon

Will Murray win Wimbledon

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Come on nail your colours to the mast before the tournament gets under way. I expect a repeat of the last few years. Flatter to deceive and fall flat on his face when he meets a big gun, out with a whimper rather than a bang.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No. Too many other top quality players around. And his fitness at Wimbledon isn't usually the greatest. S/F defeat at best.

Virginia Wade was the last English/British singles Champion in the Silver Jubilee Year of 1977. Unfortunately I feel this fact will make naff all difference to Mr M who will join the long list of British/English/Scottish Tennis failures.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
You are having a laugh. England will win a major title before a british tennis player wins Wimbledon

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It's just another chance to role out the "FFS Murray" shout.

Get ready for a YT video of him losing with the shout inserted at the right time.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He's in poor form heading into it.

Djokovic, Nadal and Federer remain a class above, and I suspect Murray could well come a cropper even before he meets one of those three.

Chances of him beating one or two of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer to win the thing – tiny.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Virginia Wade was the last English/British singles Champion in the Silver Jubilee Year of 1977. QUOTE]

Didn't the Americans or other favourites pull out that year due to some dispute, leaving the way open to a win that would never have happened with a full compliment of players. Or did I imagine that?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't think so, as much as I would like it to be. He's not had a good year fitness wise, so far, and the other trio are looking pretty good. Tricky first tie with Davydenko. Maybe the lack of expecations will help, but in tennis at the mo, if you are 2% below your best, the other 3 will beat you. Even if (and that's a big IF) Fed is waning a little, Rafa and Djok are at the top (and probably would have been as well in any other era). You can't discount the likes of Tsonga either.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
wont get past the 1st round his draw is shit

What he said. The only way he will win a Grand Slam is if the other big three are out, and then he'll choke as the pressure will be too much.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In ANY other tennis era he would have a BRILLIANT chance. He is a QUALITY player.

Anyone who can stick in the top 4 like him and reach the semi finals he has is.

Sadly he is playing at a time when THREE players will go down in the 'tennis greats' catagory.

Anyone who claims he is useless has NO IDEA.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Don't think he'll have any trouble with Davydenko, but I can see one of Anderson or Raonic (both beasts on the grass) dumping him out unfortunately. His potential path to the final is horrific, and he's had very poor preparation - didn't look at all comfortable at Queens.

Then again, with the odds stacked against like that he may end up surprising us all. A valiant semi-final exit to Nadal is almost definitely the best he can hope for though.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If he's not up to it in his first round tie, he'll lose to Davydenko, who remember was ranked number 3 in the world at one point. Didn't look at all convincing at Queens, and as others have already said, he is miles behind the top 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here