Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this another Albion management shambles?

Is this another Albion management appointment shambles?

• Yes

Votes: 106 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.3%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sack a man early on in his tenure.

Lose out in our pursuit for our chosen successor.

No obvious strategy to fill the hot seat.

Is this another classic Albion shambles?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So far...100%, I wouldn't have it any other way :lolol:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Whether you could call it a shambles depends on how much we invested in trying to persuade Coppell. If he was a Gannon-style sole contender and Bloom did show him round Falmer and all that then I guess it is. The alternative, as the latest statement at least tries to imply, is that he was only a "lead candidate" who happened to turn us down.

The only manager left with any real track record as a number one is Cotterill, unless we pull a blinder and nab Curbishley. Or you think Jewell would move hundreds of miles to manage the smallest club of his career.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It wouldn't be The Albion if it wasn't a shambles, it will however step up to the next level and be a Dick Knightesque shambles if no new manager is in the dugout before the next league game.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It was a shambles the second that Bloom listened to the MINORITY of fans and sacked Slade!

How long with Hinsh be allowed to be in charge of the team before all the people calling for Slades head start getting annoyed about the lack of a 'proper' manager?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Makes you wonder why Coppell was favourite to become manager after Bloom has come out and said Coppell said no on first contact.
Maybe Bloom should have said Coppell said no straight away?

It does seem strange, but I guess with FA Cup week it gave the board a 2 week window to find someone before the next league game instead of the normal few days

They did the right thing in clearing out White and Booker too, as it allows the manager a chance to bring his own people in. But it then created 3 vacancies instead of one, meaning 3 people within the club have had to be put in temporary charge, making things a bit more of a "shambles"

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Whether you could call it a shambles depends on how much we invested in trying to persuade Coppell. If he was a Gannon-style sole contender and Bloom did show him round Falmer and all that then I guess it is. The alternative, as the latest statement at least tries to imply, is that he was only a "lead candidate" who happened to turn us down.

The only manager left with any real track record as a number one is Cotterill, unless we pull a blinder and nab Curbishley. Or you think Jewell would move hundreds of miles to manage the smallest club of his career.

If we dont get curbs (cant see it to be honest) it will prob be cotterill imo!

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Makes you wonder why Coppell was favourite to become manager after Bloom has come out and said Coppell said no on first contact.
Maybe Bloom should have said Coppell said no straight away?

It does seem strange, but I guess with FA Cup week it gave the board a 2 week window to find someone before the next league game instead of the normal few days

They did the right thing in clearing out White and Booker too, as it allows the manager a chance to bring his own people in. But it then created 3 vacancies instead of one, meaning 3 people within the club have had to be put in temporary charge, making things a bit more of a "shambles"

Hinsh, Brown and Oatway all hold better coaching badges than White and Booker i think the teams on the whole in better hands.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
At the moment, It looks like TB has a itchy trigger finger and a limited amount of future mangement planning. Are we REALLY going to get anyone with a better record than Slade?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The only Knight esque situations where he sacked a manager and didn't have a replacement for the next league games were:

Adams replacing Jeff Wood (one away league game at Plymouth with the delay due to waiting for jeff wood to be out of knee surgery before sacking him and therefore not being able to open negotiations with Forest about releasing Adams)

Adams being sacked last feb. And to be brutally honest, that decision wasn't taken by Knight.

So out of the two clear cut Bloom sackings we have two farces

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The only Knight esque situations where he sacked a manager and didn't have a replacement for the next league games were:

Adams replacing Jeff Wood (one away league game at Plymouth with the delay due to waiting for jeff wood to be out of knee surgery before sacking him and therefore not being able to open negotiations with Forest about releasing Adams)

Adams being sacked last feb. And to be brutally honest, that decision wasn't taken by Knight.

Not thrusting Hinshelwood into a press conference at five minutes notice to become new manager? :jester:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can't believe we had no one lined up when Slade was sacked.....did the current management ( I use that term in the loosest of terms) think that the staff left over when sacking the manager, and coaching/assistant managment staff, were capable of stepping up straight away?

What I would do is make Barry LLoyd the caretaker manager straight away. Whatever you think about him, he has had experience at managing a football team with some degree of success.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I thought at the time, Dick knight said he went to meet Mickey Adams, with NO intention of dismissing him, but that following that meeting , he had no alternative, but to sack Adams...?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No. I disagree with the firing of Slade, the situation is far from a shambles. It is more the negativity of the fans, which is exacerbated by us not knowing what the process is, what the club are specifically looking for, who is short-listed, etc.

We don't know anything so we assume the worst.

It's an important decision, and time is being taken. I'm glad they didn't have someone lined up, because as much as this is a business, I think it is classless, undermines what the manager is trying to do, and breeds suspicion and paranoia in everyone at the club ("what if he has someone lined up to replace me?!", "How do I know he realises this run of poor results is a blip and not a downturn in our fortunes and is already interviewing new candidates?")

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That "lets all laugh at Brighton" thread on the Southend board has surely doubled in size now.

Deary deary me. Comical shambles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here