Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there something the matter with the Queen

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Apart from her looking bored and fed up at the Opening ceremony, she hasn't been seen around at any event and also very curiously she wasn't there last night.

What was also odd is that I assume she was expected last night as both Rogge and Coe's speeches started with Your Magesty, Royal Highnesses etc etc.

I hope all this Jubilee stuff, Phillip being in hospotal etc has not started to take its toll...she is in her 90's isn't she?

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
We thought exactly the same when we saw it was Prince Harry and Kate at last night's ceremony.
Hope nothing bad has happened.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It is very odd. No Queen, so you'd expect Prince Charles. No Prince Charles, so you'd expect Prince William. You'd also expect Prince Phillip to be there. But Prince Harry WITH Kate. Just weird.

Every Olympic event has seen Wills with Kate and Harry. Weird weird weird.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What was also odd is that I assume she was expected last night as both Rogge and Coe's speeches started with Your Magesty, Royal Highnesses etc etc.

Harry was representing her so the "Your Mag" was directed at him.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...What was also odd is that I assume she was expected last night as both Rogge and Coe's speeches started with Your Magesty, Royal Highnesses etc etc.

I think that was "Your majesties..." referring to the various visiting royal visitors.

It wasn't exactly her thing, was it? And she didn't have a specific role to play, because Rogge 'closed' the games.

I think she just gave it a swerve.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It is very odd. No Queen, so you'd expect Prince Charles. No Prince Charles, so you'd expect Prince William. You'd also expect Prince Phillip to be there. But Prince Harry WITH Kate. Just weird.

I agree, and I'm rather surprised more of it hasn't been made.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She probably read the CT thread and decided it was safer to stay away.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Olympics closing ceremony: Queen praises athletes but will not be there - Telegraph

"In a message to British and Commonwealth athletes released by Buckingham Palace, the sovereign also thanked the volunteers who have given such a “warm welcome” to people from around the world.

The Queen will not attend tonight’s closing ceremony, as Buckingham Palace said there was no official role for a Head of State in the ceremony.

Instead, she is expected to watch it at Balmoral, where she and the Duke of Edinburgh are spending their traditional summer break before returning to London for the start of the Paralympic Games later this month.

Prince Harry, the Duchess of Cambridge and the Princess Royal will represent the Royal family at the Olympic Stadium.

The Queen wrote: “As the 2012 London Olympic Games come to a close, I offer my congratulations to the athletes of Great Britain and the Commonwealth, whose efforts across the range of Olympic disciplines have truly captured the public's imagination and earned their admiration."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
William does have a day job so was probably on duty. The Queen is probably resting at Balmoral, as at 86, she's had a hectic year.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I really don't get why Kate would go without Wills. And why Charles would not go instead of Harry. Very very odd.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I don't blame her for not being there, I doubt many people that age would want to be at a pop concert until gone midnight on a Sunday night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here