Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there anyway back for Labour?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Having lived through my formative teenage years under the Tories, do people really think it will be any better under the next generation of the Conservative Party?
My big fear is that the election will be such a landslide that the Labour and Lib Dems will be all but wiped out, which will leave us with a one party state, in other words a dictatorship.
Can anyone see that not happening in the current climate?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think people are starting to realise that whilst Gordon Brown is not perfect, he is probably the best option to guide us through these difficult times.

The tories need to come out with some solid justification why they will do better...and I just cannot see it at present.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think people are starting to realise that whilst Gordon Brown is not perfect, he is probably the best option to guide us through these difficult times.

The tories need to come out with some solid justification why they will do better...and I just cannot see it at present.

Why is he best?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't think so. Every time Labour have been in power, they have left the country on the brink of bankruptcy. The sooner they go the better. It is the 'so-called' Iron Chancellor who has put us in this mess, with ridiculous borrowing and back door taxation.

I actually do not think it will be the predicted landslide victory, and in a way hope not as it is unhealthy to have too weak a opposition party as we saw when Duncan-Smith led the Tories and politics was a non-event.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
My big fear is that the election will be such a landslide that the Labour and Lib Dems will be all but wiped out, which will leave us with a one party state, in other words a dictatorship.

Simply put, this will not happen.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bit like saying that Hitler should have been made mayor of Berlin in 1945.

Bags of experience, proven record blah, blah, no time for a novice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having lived through my formative teenage years under the Tories, do people really think it will be any better under the next generation of the Conservative Party?
Can anyone see that not happening in the current climate?

Personally I think Gordon Brown should call the Tories bluff and call an election tomorrow. Let these dim snide fucks Cameron and Osborne deal with a global mess they can do little to influence either way. They'd be more like a rabbit caught in the headlights than Dodgy Dan Harding EVER was.

Or let intellectual heavyweight Gordon Brown get down and dirty and build the best buffer against that trans-Atlantic shit that he can. There's nobody more able to do it than the present PM.

No time for regime change, just to have a snake-oil salesman in charge IMHO.

Either way, we'll get the government we deserve.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
So what will happen?

I didn't say I know what will happen, I'm just saying that that will not happen.

I think the Lib Dems are more popular than you're making out, I think people are warming to Clegg.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I didn't say I know what will happen, I'm just saying that that will not happen.

I think the Lib Dems are more popular than you're making out, I think people are warming to Clegg.

After that snidey wanker Belotti i would never vote Lib Dem if i was paid!!!!!!!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The same was said when Labour destroyed the Tories for 3 elections.

exactly. only it wont be for 3 elections as long as Labour dont iplode on themselves or lurch to the left.

ive been thinking that one of the best things about the current tories is precisly that they have so few policies. they will i hope bring in an era of light touch government, focusing on simple legislation to get stuff moving along while not having "initiatives" and "programmes" ever other month, letting teachers teach, doctors heal, public services serve and businesses do business.

(then i woke up :lolol: :down:)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Difference between Tories of the late 90s and Labour now is the Scottish factor.

The Tories have never needed Scotland to take power. Labour have always needed it. If the Jocks go their own way then it's a long long long way back for Labour to ever get back into power again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What, is he up from 3% to 4% in the polls or something?

That party should just disband. They never make any political headway, no matter how shit things get. Pathetic really.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Difference between Tories of the late 90s and Labour now is the Scottish factor.

The Tories have never needed Scotland to take power. Labour have always needed it. If the Jocks go their own way then it's a long long long way back for Labour to ever get back into power again.

That is very true. How are the S.N.P. doing though?

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
If Labour wants to win:

Pledge tomorrow to renationalise the utilities and the railways and halve the prices. They did it with northern Rock, now Bradford & Bingley, why stop there? Millions of impoverished people would vote for that, and people like me who have long given up on them ever being worth voting for again would not only vote but campaign for them. The City will scream but who cares what they think - capitalism has proved one last time that it only works for the rich, it's just as totally discredited as Stalinism. We need a new way.

It is certainly ironic that at the moment lots of people are saying 'capitalism has fcked the world so let's all vote Tory!!' Turkeys voting for Xmas or what?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

When labour took charge, they did it with some clear policy differences and a strong shadow cabinet.

The tories will get in with their weedy front bench keeping quiet. My prediction is that part of the electorate will step away from voting for the tories because of their lack of policies, but not enough for Labour. Tories to get in with a 35 seat majority and the real losers will be the lib dems - what a mess they've made of a promising position, nationally. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here