Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the UK starting a recession?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
jessops has been in decine for a while now,

HMV losing to online downloads etc, they should have go their act together sooner and set up competetion

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Kwik Save shutting some shops / staff 'agreeing' not to be paid for a week..
QUOTE]

I read yesterday that this is the FIFTH week running they're agreed not to be paid. Hope they grab a full trolley-load of shopping on their last day at work, and just walk out, cos it STINKS. Like that pikey chain of record shops (MVC?) the other year that refused to take record vouchers after Christmas because they were on the point of going bust. Luckily they made the schoolboy error of opening up for cash sales. Punters were quite rightly just taking goods to the value of their vouchers and walking out the store. The police, quite rightly, didn't intervene, and the company revised its policy a day later. Don't trust the buggers an INCH.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A bit OT but all chart CD's are £7 in Morrisons at the moment and double albums are a tenner. This is a public service announcement, normal rates apply.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If interest rates continue to go up then a definite possibility I am afraid.

Lack of disposable income could well create a recession.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
highly unlikely in my opinion. there will be something of a slowdown with interest rates up again, but the consumer markets and housing markets continue to do very well.

with places like jessops, this is simply the overdue reaction to the internet economy, and it will continue at a pace

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
when are Fopp closing down, not heard

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm not really surprised that HMV are in decline, they don't sell much that I can't get at least £5 cheaper either online or in another nearby shop. It actually baffles me that anyone shops there at all.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not really surprised that HMV are in decline, they don't sell much that I can't get at least £5 cheaper either online or in another nearby shop. It actually baffles me that anyone shops there at all.

Same with me, poor layout as well and very expensive in real terms.

Perhaps they should realise the Music CD is finished

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Manufacturing has been in decline for ages. Now it's a section of the retail trade that's falling out of fashion.

People will still spend their disposable income in Primark, or Starbuck's, or M&S.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Manufacturing has been in decline for ages. Now it's a section of the retail trade that's falling out of fashion.

People will still spend their disposable income in Primark, or Starbuck's, or M&S.

Do you really think so with Starbucks ?

Surely if disposable income is less then a coffee would be one of the first things to go as cheaper to make at home.

I am no great fan of Starbucks only ever been in to one in Paris of all places.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Fopp music stores closing down..

Kwik Save shutting some shops / staff 'agreeing' not to be paid for a week..

Jessops, HMV etc feeling the pinch too..

you've never had it so bad.. or wet!

Jessops will probably die because almost everyone has switched to digital, with few reasons to upgrade/return to shop.

HMV are stuck in the 20th Century.

Fopp have gone bust because they screwed up the acquisition of Music Zone (they thought they'd bought stock, when they hadn't) and because they tried to expand too quickly. So, bad management, not lack of sales or impending recession!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
So Fopp has gone under now? I went in there on Thursday and occasionally popped into the one on Tottenham Court Road. I thought they only had a few stores anyway.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
That's a shame, Fopp is suprisingly good. It's bigger up North i'm lead to believe.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
That musiczone franchise is a poisoned chalice, MVC went under who were purchased by musiczone that went under who were purchased by Fopp that went under.

It's like some retail version of the old woman who swallowed a fly in inverse relationsl. They seem to all drag each other under.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Brendan Murtagh is trying to buy Kwik Save, he has a habit of taking over bankrupt firms with some potential viability, slashing as much as possible and keeping a small amount of it around - so there may still be suppliers of 4p tins of beans in some areas.

Jessops aren't adapting quick enough to an effectively dead analogue camera market, Spectra (the nearest equivalent here) are now the main Apple franchiser here which is keeping them ticking over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here