Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the UK starting a recession?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suspect Jessops have also struggled to keep prices down as all their goods would be available on the internet a lot cheaper.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Strangely I said the very same thing to someone at work this week, I really think that we are in danger of slipping into a recession if interest rates go up much further, don't think it will be as bad as the early 90's but it might not take much to send it that way.

Interest rates have been raised to try and curb the credit boom, problem is that this also affects those whose only real credit item is the mortgage on their home. Some people will still spend, spend, spend regardless, however most will cut their cloth accordingly...less disposable income means less money to spend on non-essential items, not good news for the high street.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A recession is defined a downturn in a country's GDP for two successive financial quarters.

As has been trumpted ad infinitum by Gordon Brown, the UK has had something like 54 successive quarters of growth.

Definition is accurate but is not quite, weve had one or two static or neg quarters but its close enough.

The thing is a lot of it has been job free growth imo.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
There are times i'm glad I provide a service rather than relying on selling a product.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I bought a camera from jessops last autumn. they where under the illusion that i would spend £65 on an memory card when i could get the same online for at least 50% less, or even go into dixons and get it for under £50. sales assistant was very condesending when i said i didnt need any additional memory, imply that i must have some for the camera to work, not acknowledging that the camera cam with 64MB which is enough to do more shots than your regular compact camera would have.

high street shops rely on two things, convienence and service. as more people get t'internet they will have to improve the service or die. Jessops and HMV are failing as they provide neither.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
highly unlikely in my opinion. there will be something of a slowdown with interest rates up again, but the consumer markets and housing markets continue to do very well.

with places like jessops, this is simply the overdue reaction to the internet economy, and it will continue at a pace

Is the right answer IMO

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
The public sector is viewed by Senior Managers as having been in recession for a year or two, with more lean years ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here