Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the park n ride becoming embrassing?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This. Complete and utter stupidity. Last time I went to Twickenham (70k capacity flooding out into local streets) they had busses lined up like we do and filled them six at a time. It's so easy. Was very very unimpressed by the sarcastic bloke who "manages" the quue for Mithras on monday.

I only used the P&R after the Palace game to the racecourse to get home quickly, and to be honest didnt pay any attention to the organisation that day due to the result.

Normally I hang around for a bit and get the train or bus HOWEVER if this is the case for trhe P&R and they fill ONE bus at a time well thats just :facepalm: I cannot believe it.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Speaking to west ham fans in the q waiting for the bus back and they couldn't believe it was like that every week. Always going to be a bedding in period but nothing seems to be changing and surely it must be putting off away fans from travelling and leads to people leaving earlier and earlier to avoid standing in the rain for up to an hour.

Worse in mid week and that is when people want to get away quicker

It always has been, even at Withdean. However, West Ham are in no position to complain. Getting away from their shit hole and back into Central London is a nightmare.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
West Ham are in no position to complain. Getting away from their shit hole and back into Central London is a nightmare.

That's very true .. but it's stuck in the middle of urban London and to be fair they don't really have the same opportunity as we do with our "out of town" facility. No I don't expect to just walk out and off but there are some pretty basic remedies that could be applied to make the whole thing run much more efficiently. I understand there's a transport manager so one hopes he/she will be working on improvements - albeit progress (such that it is) is frustratingly slow.

Amexican

May 21, 2011
I used P&R for the first time last night. Because I live to the west Mill Hill was the obvious choice, though having heard previous comments on here about it I used it with some trepidation.

I shouldn't have worried. We parked up in the road just through the tunnel as we got there about 6.45pm and the main bit was already full. We were on a coach and inside the stadium by 7.10pm - which I though was excellent.

We left with 2 mins of injury time left as I took my 9 year old daughter and I didn't want here queuing for ages as we were both already pretty wet becuase we are nearer the front of the North Stand. We joined the queue and waited about 10 mins, and then we were on a bus and straight over to Mill Hill and back in doors in Littlehampton by 10.25pm.

Its my first time using it - but based on last nights experience I will certainly use it more in future. :thumbsup:

I left at the final whistle from WSU (dry) and was back in Littlehampton (soaked) at 11.15...that's the difference...BUT I will never leave a game early. Next time it's raining, we'll stay for a drink until Q's disappear and get home only 5 mins later!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm trying this next time

rickshaw.jpg

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Bring back the tuc-tucs! Have an army of them waiting outside to get people away quickly!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I never have my vouchers checked at Racecourse P&R. I think the P&R works well........well the racecourse one does. I qued for 15 mins getting home.

Of course everything can be improved, but I think the main problem is the amount of cars that are dropping people off and picking up. This snarls the traffic up for all the buses. Its a learning curve for everyone, and things will improve I'm sure of that.

I've been to matches which have giant car parks, and its taken me ages to get away. Or at Aston Villa which was another nightmare. Or changing the event, pop concerts with similar attendances.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
I still don't understand why the buses for the Race Hill park & ride have to queue up with the cars leaving the car park rather than with all the other buses. It took over 20mins. after the Hull game to get past the traffic lights by the farm shop and away. On Monday our particular driver had the sense to drive round and join the real bus queue and overtook the two Race Hill buses that left before, presumably even the drivers are getting a bit knarked by it too.

Also if the stewards / police prevented anyone who is picking up outside the ground parking between the lights and the car park exit it would allow more room to 'escape', pick ups should only be from the road between the car park exit and the Uni. IMHO.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
They should definitely try loading two buses at once. Not exactly difficult to count the first number of people for bus number 1 in the queue then tell the next ones in the queue to start boarding the second bus, at the same time.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
The whole organisation of the Park and Rides seems a total shambles. I use Mill Road. This week we arrived at six. By the time we got on a bus we were at the top of the hill and cars were being pushed onto the verge on the roundabout at the top! We got to the ground just after 7.15! No time to enjoy a plastic pint. Most people now seem resigned to the chaos. Tough on anyone who can't get away from work early. After the game (and please forgive us, we leave just before the end) we have to walk past the obvious exit to the bus park, fight up the steps - not the middle ones, of course, they were occupied by two "stewards" and then "queue" for a bus. O.k. we get to Mill Road in reasonable time, although this week the driver got in the wrong lane coming onto the A27! It would be nice to stay for the end of a game but the evidence suggests we could add another hour onto our journey! And unfortunately, some people need to get home because they have to work the next day!
And now the story is that the club is planning to add extra seats - how and where would another 8000 people get to the ground? It's a shame - the stadium is great but the lack of a clear user friendly transport plan for those who travel from outside the immediate area will prove costly in the longer term. Maybe Mr Perry and Mr Brown might like to see for themselves one week. (At the moment, the round trip from Bognor takes longer than it did to get to Gillingham!)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do a runner from WSU at final whistle or a minute before.
On first or second Mithras bus every time.
And home (Withdean) by 22:10 or 5:20 Sat games.

Well done bus company & the albion.

Been to plenty of other stadiums in recent times and faced long waits to get home.
And those who've experienced Reading, Swindon, Wembley, Emirates ... to name just 4, say hellish.

The price you pay for much bigger crowds in a non-city centre site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here