Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the park n ride becoming embrassing?

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Idiot? You're the one who's grizzling over not much.

Still waiting to hear why it's 'embarrassing'.

It's not the queuing thats embarrassing - last night it was the organisation, certainly for Mithras House, that was embarrassingly poor. Empty seats on buses despite the fact that people were being made to wait to board each one virtually individually to make sure that they were full - and then they didn't utilise any standing room on the lower decks when they did go. That in itself could have helped clear the queues quicker

It was the first time I've used the Park and Ride last night so it may not be like that every game, but organisationally it was a bit of a shambles. I don't have any problem queuing if things are running efficiently and there is no way that it could be done a little faster, but last night it just felt like we were being made to queue in the rain unnecessarily

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Mithras House is easily the best to use if you want to avoid queue's. Mill Rd would be far more convenient for me as I come down the M23/A23 but it doesnt take too much longer to get to Mithras House. Reason being after the game you can jump on almost any bus back to Brighton and don't need to wait around for P&R buses in the car park. I left after the final whistle last night and there were 2 or 3 No.25 buses waiting at Falmer station. 10 minutes later in my car and on way home, ok it was busy getting back to A27 around Coldean but I'd rather be sat in my car than queuing in the rain.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It's not the queuing thats embarrassing - last night it was the organisation, certainly for Mithras House, that was embarrassingly poor. Empty seats on buses despite the fact that people were being made to wait to board each one virtually individually to make sure that they were full - and then they didn't utilise any standing room on the lower decks when they did go. That in itself could have helped clear the queues quicker

It was the first time I've used the Park and Ride last night so it may not be like that every game, but organisationally it was a bit of a shambles. I don't have any problem queuing if things are running efficiently and there is no way that it could be done a little faster, but last night it just felt like we were being made to queue in the rain unnecessarily

I was at the 'S' route bus stop and watching the Mithras House buses queuing. They often had three buses there, but only one loading at a time....which I agree, seemed to be taking ages.. Surely it wouldn't take much organisation to have people loading on to all three buses at the same time...?

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I was at the 'S' route bus stop and watching the Mithras House buses queuing. They often had three buses there, but only one loading at a time....which I agree, seemed to be taking ages.. Surely it wouldn't take much organisation to have people loading on to all three buses at the same time...?

You'd think not. Just load all three buses together with a sensible amount of people, then top them up until they are packed. It would surely be quicker than letting people on individually as was the case last night - particularly in dire weather

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
I've not had any problems with the P&R - I really don't know what all the fuss is about.
I don't leave until after the final whistle has gone and for every game I've been on a bus and back to Mithras House and in my car within twenty minutes of the final whistle.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
BUT ... you left early. I'm not grumbling about anyone leaving early but I left on the whistle (didn't hang around) from seat in row G of WSL and from there it takes 15 minutes to bus stop ... from there I was 40 mins in rain ... so your experience was good but all it'll do is get peeps leaving earlier and earlier and then more abuse etc.

I ignore the idiots that say "do you expect to be able to walk straight out .........." but as another said it's not the absolute time it's the fact that it could be done so much more efficiently. I wouldn't moan at all if I had to wait 40 minutes if it were all running intelligently
I went for the "wait until the stand empties, wander down to the concourse and have a coffee, then go and stand on the end of the Mill Road queue for about 15 minutes". Might not be any quicker, but it was certainly dryer!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I could never understand this loading one bus at a time lark either. They know how many a bus holds,count that number back down the q and then start loading the next bus, simples?

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Simply needs better queue management - present system not good enough. No wonder so many people leave before the end

Also shambles that cars are clogging up the road out to Falmer Road- on both sides

Please sort it out!

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
I always use the racecourse I was thinking of trying Mithras house as I think it's closer does anyone have a post code, can't seem to find it on any map
Cheers

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I guess the fun those happy hammers had with their "fire drill" chant, more than made up for the 40mins wait in the rain? It wasn't a fire drill boys it was recognition that the transport is not ideal - same at Withdean. We used to get the same abuse from away fans at Withers. It is just local knowledge we have that away fans don't.

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Ta - a map that might help I was going to try and navigate using the stars!
Does Mithras ever get full up?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ta - a map that might help I was going to try and navigate using the stars!
Does Mithras ever get full up?

You'll find it on Google Maps ... Cockroft House is on the opposite side of road to Mithras and between them I don't believe they ever fill

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I assume you have signed the Petiton (top of the board) for a foot/cycle path up to Woodingdean?

Scrap Bennets field (except for Disabled fans, and move 1901 over to the Uni) and therefore have a larger bus/coach park, have people loading more than one bus at a time, make sure the busses are full when they leave, have more busses, Police to control the traffic lights, stop individual cars picking people up in Village way, and what about half price food/discounted drinks after the game to encourage more people to stay afterwards?

Until the club implement at least some of these ideas (and I'm sure there are others) then we'll continue to see a mass exodus at 85 minutes, especially for night games.

This is a very sensible solution. West Ham fans on my bus praised the Mill Rd P&R on the way to the game. Not so pleased on the way back though.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Been trying the club's coach travel into and from the stadium instead of p & r, yes it costs abit more and is aimed at those living outside of Brighton but you get there in plenty of time and afterwards there's no rush or standing in the rain. When the coaches are full they leave on mass and the timing of pick-up and return drop-off is constant.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Incompetence, they have the buses sitting there by the dozen, yet fill them one at a time

This. Complete and utter stupidity. Last time I went to Twickenham (70k capacity flooding out into local streets) they had busses lined up like we do and filled them six at a time. It's so easy. Was very very unimpressed by the sarcastic bloke who "manages" the quue for Mithras on monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here