Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the clubs silence on the "El-Abd issue" condoning what he did?

Is the clubs silence on the "El-Abd issue" condoning what he did?

• YES - They should have come out ages ago on this one.

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • NO - they can't be condoning it, just don't feel comment is necessary.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • Who cares? So what if a player thinks we are all "w@nkers" and "fu**ing *unts"?

Votes: 26 30.2%

• Total voters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
NMH said:
Actually, it is the POTs calling the kettle BLACK.

The people who want an apology are the ones who know the anger from Adam was directed at them in particular, for being such WANKERS.

Exactly the right people are up in arms, as should be - the spastics who give the team a ration of shite when they are trying to play football.

That sort DESERVE whatever AeA calls them

Adam el-Abd = ALBION LEGEND :bowdown: :clap:

WRONG.

I'm angry because I wasn't giving the team "a ration of shite", and yet despite the fact that all I do is cheer the team - yes I'll berate the ref and the opposition, but not MY team - despite the fact that I support the club in every way I possibly can whether it be financially, verbally, letter-writing, campaigning or getting off my backside to do leaflet drops or litter duties ..... his foul-mouthed abuse was aimed as much in my direct as it was anyone who may have decided 1 win in 11 home games should get a "booooo" response at full-time.

If him calling me a "f***ing twattwattwattwat" and "wanker" when all I do is cheer on the team makes him an "ALBION LEGEND" then we see things very very differently my friend.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it was piss poor from the player - very unprofessional. However, as long as the player and club recognise that fact, and as long as they deal with it properly (and internally, as mendoza says) then I've got no problem. Time to move forward.

That said, no repeats please Adam. We all know there are wankers and twats in the crowd - but they do (indirectly) pay your wages, and at least you don't have to sit next to them having paid £413 a season for the privilege.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
British Bulldog said:
Have any fans issued an oppology for abusing the players?

When players start paying £24.50 to come and watch us, you may have point.

Gritt23 said:
WRONG.

I'm angry because I wasn't giving the team "a ration of shite", and yet despite the fact that all I do is cheer the team - yes I'll berate the ref and the opposition, but not MY team - despite the fact that I support the club in every way I possibly can whether it be financially, verbally, letter-writing, campaigning or getting off my backside to do leaflet drops or litter duties ..... his foul-mouthed abuse was aimed as much in my direct as it was anyone who may have decided 1 win in 11 home games should get a "booooo" response at full-time.

If him calling me a "f***ing twattwattwattwat" and "wanker" when all I do is cheer on the team makes him an "ALBION LEGEND" then we see things very very differently my friend.

I still fail to see why you claim ownership of the abuse here - "your direction" I don't think would have really included you.... and you who were not insulting the team.
I think it's quite clear that none of the players feel ill towards any true supporter.
Not to say that everyone has to be a happy-clapper, mind.

Do you believe AeA was angry at anyone who was unhappy at Albion losing?
I have been to several games where I wonder how players can stand the sort of crap they get hurled at them, and how they can even want to play for such people.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
NMH said:
I still fail to see why you claim ownership of the abuse here

I don't claim sole ownership, but I certainly felt like he was aiming his abuse at me, along with others around me, and elsewhere in the stand.

I have no idea where you were on Saturday, but to me - row N seat 101 - he was looking in my direction at one point when he was issuing foul-mouthed abuse.

He was also looking at various other areas as he marched down the side of the pitch, but I certainly felt like it was being aimed at a section of the stand which included me. In fact I could have sworn he was looking directly at me at one point .... but that could be similar to the eyes of a painting following you around the room.

Either way, an act that was so unprofessional, and out of order that it warrants an apology.

Handling it in-house?
Yeah, I can see what you mean, but unfortunately this wasn't an incident that happened in the privacy of the dressing room, it was something that affected people on the outside, the general public, and they / we should be apologised to.

If my son abused another child at school, it wouldn't be enough for me to tell that boy or his dad, "okay, I've dealt with it. End of." The other boy would be due an apology.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Large One said:
Do you know what? About the Adam El-Abd abusive rant at the South Stand thing?

I think I'm over it now. In fact, I was about a minute after it happened.

:)

The man talks sense.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gritt23 said:
... If my son abused another child at school, it wouldn't be enough for me to tell that boy or his dad, "okay, I've dealt with it. End of." The other boy would be due an apology.
I see where you're coming from and I do have an element of sympathy. But just to take your 'school' analogy a bit further - why did your son abuse another boy? Maybe he was just sticking up for his mates in which case I would be patting him on the back not getting him to apologise - indeed I did just that when my son was involved in a similar incident.

I accept that in the normal scheme of things players should not go around abusing the crowd. Also I wasn't there so you are quite entitled to tell me to shut up and not go on about something I've only heard about 2nd hand.

But ...

On the times I have been at Withdean this season I've been sickened by the comments from several 'supporters' aimed at the younger players. I cannot find it in my heart to condemn the fact that one of these players has had a go back. I hope there is no public apology, or at least I hope it is couched in terms that implies he'll do it again if provoked.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Brovian said:
I see where you're coming from and I do have an element of sympathy. But just to take your 'school' analogy a bit further - why did your son abuse another boy? Maybe he was just sticking up for his mates in which case I would be patting him on the back not getting him to apologise

But if his mates had been verbally abused by one kid in the class, and my son swore blue murder at the whole class, then he's done wrong, by the majority of the class, and they would be due an apology.

By all means my sons apology can include an explanation of why he reacted in the way that he did, and I'm sure most people would understand and accept that.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gritt23 said:
But if his mates had been verbally abused by one kid in the class, and my son swore blue murder at the whole class, then he's done wrong, by the majority of the class, and they would be due an apology.

By all means my sons apology can include an explanation of why he reacted in the way that he did, and I'm sure most people would understand and accept that.
Yeah, fair comment, I can live with that.

Gritt23 said:

You are still claiming ownership. You thought he looked straight at you, yet (if you have half a brain) you KNOW who (and why) he was angry at.
As far as I can see here, you are on a high horse asking for some apology - yet you attend a sport meeting where you want the 'man's game' to be played out on the field.
Well mate, if I were you I'd realise the spur-of-moment anger was NOT directed at someone who hadn't been berating the players from the off, and GET OVER IT.

ffs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gritt23 said:
In fact I could have sworn he was looking directly at me at one point .... but that could be similar to the eyes of a painting following you around the room.

mona_lisa.jpg

Spooky.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'll expect an apology from El-Abd when the people who were giving him (and Cox and Robinson) grief also apologise. Until then, for any fans to try and claim the high moral ground is pure folly, and only promotes an 'us' and 'them' environment.

Which is not right, because I always feel that we're all in this together.

Last edited:

The Large One said:
I'll expect an apology from El-Abd when the people who were giving him (and Cox and Robinson) grief also apologise. Until then, for any fans to try and claim the high moral ground is pure folly, and only promotes an 'us' and 'them' environment.

Which is not right, because I always feel that we're all in this together.

Indeed. I feel an affinity with AeA, to the point that I also would have liked to run along the front of the South Stand shouting at all the effing 'c's, and giving out the 'wankers' sign.

Legend. :clap:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Simster said:
I think it was piss poor from the player - very unprofessional. However, as long as the player and club recognise that fact, and as long as they deal with it properly (and internally, as mendoza says) then I've got no problem. Time to move forward.

That said, no repeats please Adam. We all know there are wankers and twats in the crowd - but they do (indirectly) pay your wages, and at least you don't have to sit next to them having paid £413 a season for the privilege.
good quote!:clap:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I wasn't at the match, but as that's never stopped anyone on here from voicing an opinion, I'll throw in my tuppenyworth anyway. I'm with Gritty on this one. Whatever the provocation - and I hope that Adam was reacting to the targeted abuse of Cox and Robinson, rather than the generalised booing of the team - El-Abd crossed the line as a professional. Given that his abuse was directed at the paying customers, the club has to be seen to do something about it, rather than treating the incident as an internal matter as it would, say, a training ground punch-up.

To be fair, I was impressed by DW when he declined to adopt the Wenger "see no evil" approach when questioned earlier by Hawesy about Adam's face-clutching antics, so I hope the club will act soon to draw a line under this incident. Perhaps I'm over-dramatising, but my fear is that if the club allows this to fester, a vocal minority of fans will turn against Adam and force him out of the club a la Henderson. Surely a brief apology in the Oldham programme would suffice?

Hypocritical and unfair, when the crowd can get away with abusing the players? Undoubtedly, but let's face it, it's one of the (few) crosses that a professional has to bear. I was tempted to draw an analogy with the Cantona incident, but that would be making a mountain out of a molehill, and I know I would never get away with that example on an Albion board!

In case you're wondering, I have never booed the team or an individual player and never will.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
NMH said:
Indeed. I feel an affinity with AeA, to the point that I also would have liked to run along the front of the South Stand shouting at all the effing 'c's, and giving out the 'wankers' sign.

Legend. :clap:
Don't get me wrong - I still think El-Abd was out of order, but (1) I am not going to start screaming for an apology when (2) many (though by no means all, of course) of the recipients of El-Abd's abusive ouburst are just as guilty of the same crime.

Anyone who feels the El-Abd rant was aimed at them alone are just as wrong as El-Abd feeling the crowd's grief was aimed at him alone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here