Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Steven Gerrard immune from criticism?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Of course he was:rolleyes:

He was trying to cover the ground left empty by Lampard who did f*** all apart from take a penalty.

And over hit almost every pass he made. I know he is a very good payer, but my biggest criticism is that if anything, he tries too hard, and gets carried away by the faith in his own ability. Too many times tonight he tried to make his rampaging runs forward, but because he was too fired up, misplaced the pass.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not the same thing Edna, Loft is patently not Gerrard (I edited that in case he is reading), and in his case it would be more "He is on the Bench unless we completely run out of options"

Would you leave Gerrard out?...go on...would you?

I understand 100% what you're saying, and it's a toughie, but the point of this argument is not whether he's a great player or not, more the fact that his inclusion is never even up for debate, no matter how poorly he plays.

He simply doesn't turn it on for England like he does for Liverpool, yet nobody ever, ever discusses his value to the side or suggests alternatives.

I honestly don't dislike the guy- but maybe that's the point: nobody has it in for Gerrard, no matter how invisible his performances can sometimes be.

Name some great Gerrard England performances (a la Beckham against Greece, for example). When has he ever taken hold of a game?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Is Steven Gerrard immune from criticism?

No, he was utter GASH tonight, worst performance he's ever had in an England shirt. He was terrible, hardly hit a decent pass all night, kept giving the ball away.

They were all poor, obviously, especially that useless fucker Wayne Bridge, but I was really disappointed with Stevie G's performance tonight.

Poor old Peter Crouch - quality goal, deserved so much more. But Croatia played us off the park tonight and we didn't deserve anything from the game.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I understand 100% what you're saying, and it's a toughie, but the point of this argument is not whether he's a great player or not, more the fact that his inclusion is never even up for debate, no matter how poorly he plays.

He simply doesn't turn it on for England like he does for Liverpool, yet nobody ever, ever discusses his value to the side or suggests alternatives.

I honestly don't dislike the guy- but maybe that's the point: nobody has it in for Gerrard, no matter how invisible his performances can sometimes be.

Name some great Gerrard England performances (a la Beckham against Greece, for example). When has he ever taken hold of a game?

He is NOT a great player. He's a decent enough player at this level, but that's as far as it should go. The lack of alternatives is what keeps him exalted. We really don't have much in the way of quality any more.

Look at the striker situation, when we were deep in it we chose 2 strikers who can't even get a game for a club fighting against relegation!

Crouch, as much as he comes out this debacle with a modicum of dignity, hasn't even scored in the Premiership this season! We need to start picking players that are playing for their clubs and playing well. Everyone thinks Gerrard is our best midfielder, but he never has to prove it. It's about time he did - so drop him and play soemone, anyone, else. Sorry, but it's the only way we'll improve.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Gerrard plays for Liverpool.
Lampard plays for Chelsea.

It's not rocket science is it?

They should both be f***ed off in truth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Either should have come off at half time instead of Barry. But as with all his other choices Mc Laren made the wrong one.

We complain about FDM kicking so what about the abysmal kicking of Carson who was awful in everything that he did.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Shite tonight, shite for the past 5 years.

Is he immune from criticism? Virtually - i've been slagged off on here many a time for slating Gerrard

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Shite tonight, shite for the past 5 years.

Is he immune from criticism? Virtually - i've been slagged off on here many a time for slating Gerrard

And rightly so you get slagged off. A Brilliant player who WW seems to have a personal vendetta against. Gerrard this, Gerrard that.:bla: At the end of the day he is one of the best we have out of that sorry bunch.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
And rightly so you get slagged off. A Brilliant player who WW seems to have a personal vendetta against. Gerrard this, Gerrard that.:bla: At the end of the day he is one of the best we have out of that sorry bunch.

One of the best players for his club, yes.

At international level though, he's been shit for some time now, but MUGS like you fail to notice.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I admit I have always given Gerrard the benefit of the doubt just because I've been too busy hating Lampard. But, tonight was the last straw. He was simply shite. I would seriously tell Lampard and Gerrard that they will never play for England again, and base a midfield around Hargreaves and Barry.

agreed - except they are defensive

one of them, with cole in the middle

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Gerrard was 100% rubbish lastnight.
And what pee'd me off even more about that was the interview they showed with him just before the match started. Quotes like "I thrive on this sort of game" and "this is what gives me a buzz".
Well we needed a captains performance from him and he was shite. End of. Couldn't take a freekick for love nor money. Couldn't tackle, couldn't pass.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Seems to me people are basing Gerrard's performance purely on a mishit pass to Beckham.

He spent most the game tracking back and prevented a 3rd Croatian goal on numerous occasions.

Oh and for the winner, who was the only player attempting to close Petric down, having run half a pitch to get there?

Give you a clue, he's apparently immune from criticism.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He was f***ing dire last night.

Can't rememeber apart from one tackle, anything he did right.

Yet again, an experienced and supposedly quality player has let us down when we need them to perform.

Gerrard is shit for England - FACT

Seems to me people are basing Gerrard's performance purely on a mishit pass to Beckham.

He spent most the game tracking back and prevented a 3rd Croatian goal on numerous occasions.

Oh and for the winner, who was the only player attempting to close Petric down, having run half a pitch to get there?

Give you a clue, he's apparently immune from criticism.

It doesn't matter that any football manager around the world would have him in their team-what do they know compared to the footballing brains on here?

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
i thought Slaven Bilic's interview was spot on and to the point...

we're simply not as good as we think we are, theres only so many times u can blame the tactics, the formations, the time for players to gel together...

technically on the ball we don't have a player on the international scene who can put his foot on the ball and unlock sides with clever little triangles or expert vision...

im a Crouch fan and he was by far our best player last night but we play for him to much, out to the wing whip crosses in, long balls to feed off him, it just aint good enough at international level...

players like Lescott, Bridge, Lampard are all still playing premiership style football at 100 mph and it donn't work at this level... its a different style of football and player needed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here