Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Steven Gerrard immune from criticism?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Watching a lot of the England games over the last couple of years, Lampard has come in for a stack of criticism, some fair, some a little unfair, because of his role in the midfield.

It seems that nobody ever has a go at Gerrard though, & I'm just wondering why? It's not as though he's regularly outstanding while Lampard is crap, IMHO you can count the number of brilliant games Gerrard has played for England on the fingers of one hand. He's certainly not the same player for England as he is for Liverpool, and most of my memories of Gerrard in the white shirt are of him hitting long, Beckham-like crossfield passes, which either find an opponent or sail into touch.

Where is the real Gerrard? And if his England form comes down to McLaren's tactics, then how come Lampard doesn't get that same generosity from the crowd?

Just wondering, like.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
yes because he admits when he is playing badly so no need for criticism not to forget he is the best player we have and any team in the world would take Gerrard

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know any team would have him, and I know he's a great player, it's just that he rarely produces that kind of form for England, yet it's always other players who get the stick, or get dropped.

Rookie- are you saying that so long as a player admit's he's had a mare, it's OK, and they should be immune from criticism/being dropped? What about Paul Robinson?

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
form is temporary, class is permanent.

thats what my dad always says to me

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is Steven Gerrard immune from criticism?

No he isn`t................................... tasteless scouse twat.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
because even when he has a bad game, he's still pretty good. there's a good deal of guts and glory which we like and is openly critical of himself, so deflating any critisism his way. he's not perfect, but he knows that and works hard.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Gerrard is there as much for he might do as what he does do..if you follow my drift..bit of a totem for the other players, besides I think he is playing well tonight despite being marked by three!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and because, in the dieing minutes when an england attack broke down, while certain other midfielders jogged back, Gerrard was racing back to cover the centre defense postion.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
no he fuking isnt.....pathetic performance

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Apart from Andorra away, Gerrard has been diabolical, and far worse than Lamps..

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Gerrard is there as much for he might do as what he does do..QUOTE]

...so would you play Doug Loft for the Albion every week on the grounds that he might score an injury time equaliser?

Let me make this clear: this isn't intended to be a Gerrard witch hunt, I just cannot fathom why he seems to be bulletproof when a lot of other England players are getting flak left, right, and centre.

So he admits when he's crap, well that's big of him. He didn't do much tonight, same as most of them, but I bet when the tabloid papers publish their reviews, they give him a 6 (as opposed to the 5 the rest of the midfield will get). I cannot see why Lampard gets all the abuse. And before you say it, no I'm not a Lampard fan. I just think that when our players, being amongst the highest paid sportsment in the world, cannot manage to rise above mediocrity, they ALL deserve stick, not just the much-maligned few. You win as a team, lose as a team, and Gerrard, having played in most of the games, is surely as responsible as any.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not the same thing Edna, Loft is patently not Gerrard (I edited that in case he is reading), and in his case it would be more "He is on the Bench unless we completely run out of options"

Would you leave Gerrard out?...go on...would you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here