Is Pikey Racist?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:

You must have your own words up North,

Not my words :D
I was an exiled Southerner from Shoreham living up there.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Funny thing about the word Chav - that confuses the hell about me and my brother.

The word was in common usage at our school in Sussex in the 1980s.

It was actually USED by the type of people that I guess you would refer to as a CHAV.

Usually young lads who would dress up in their Pringle jumpers (as was), with a bit of a new romantic fringe and instead of saying "alright mate" - they would greet each other with "alright Chav"....

That's the first time I heard it - and have since been very surprised and confused by it's re-emergence.

We would often refer to people who would dress up to go nightclubbing in Tunbridge Wells (and finish the night off with a fight) as a bit of a "Chav".

When I lived up North (in Warrington) the locals refered to such people as "townies". They often grew a moustache, which was refered to as a "townie tash".

I think now it is often mis-used. I see Brian Harvey as a bit of a Chav, you need to be able to afford even a little bit of "bling, bling" to be a Chav.

Whilst you might aspire to be a Chav, it doesn't necessarily mean you are one.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
If a man lives in a beachut do you call him Beachy and is that racist?:lolol:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
"Chav" is a shortened version of "Charver" which has been in use in the North-east (especially) for a long time. It means, well, "Chav".

But the word comes from the Romany "carvare" which just means "young man".

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
"Chav" is a shortened version of "Charver" which has been in use in the North-east (especially) for a long time. It means, well, "Chav".

But the word comes from the Romany "carvare" which just means "young man".

I always thought the oten quoted "Chatham" connection was a bit dubious.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Whilst Liz Costa has done alot for the club on Sat she was seriously pissing me off:angry:

Just watch the game Liz and stop getting your knickers in a twist!

Oh and while we're at just how long a statement did you give to the copper so the middle aged bloke with the glasses in front of you will get done? Fair do's if we lobbing coins or something but all he did was swipe in frustration the half empty water bottle of the balcony. The stewards spotted it and then along with the old bill carted him out in front of his kid as if he'd just launched a grenade!

Like most fair minded fans i won't tolerate certain behaviour but use your common sense! You could tell he was embarassed at swiping the water and then you spent 10 mins helping the copper with your statement. You should have said you saw nothing!:censored:

clapham_gull said:
Does anybody know the origin of "scally" ?
This is from www.word-detective.com - an American website dedicated to words and their origins:-

Dear Word Detective: I was hoping you could tell me the origin of the word "scally," which is probably short for "scallywag," meaning roughly a sort of harmless rogue. -- Chris Peters, via the internet.

Answer:-

I've never run across "scally," as it seems so far to be strictly British slang, but from your definition I'd say it is almost certainly just a short form of "scallywag." But I sense a deeper question here (this is why I get the big bucks), namely the origin of "scallywag" in the first place.

Unfortunately, answering my own question is not as easy as it should be. A "scallywag" (also spelled "scalawag") is defined today as a scoundrel, a rascal, a rogue (not quite harmless, but not major-league evil either) or a scamp. "Scallywag" today carries definite "boys will be boys" overtones, and usually indicates bemused tolerance of the scallywag's antics. Truly hated people are not called "scallywags."

"Twas not, however, always so. "Scallywag," an American invention, was popularized first in the post-Civil War South as a term of profound contempt for those Southerners who accepted and collaborated with the occupation of the South by the Union Army and the Reconstruction that followed. "Scallywag" was also used to mean any low, contemptible, good-for-nothing person.

The actual origin of "scallywag" lies a bit earlier than the Civil War, however, and here's where the trail gets a little tangled. One of the earliest uses of "scallywag" when it appeared around 1848 was "a scrawny and worthless steer or horse." This may actually have been the original meaning of the word, and there's a theory that "scallywag" in this sense derives from Scalloway in the Shetland Islands of Scotland. These islands are famous for their tiny Shetland ponies, and it's possible that the diminutive stature of these cute little ponies became a slur on animals that should have been larger but weren't, and gradually came to be used as an insult (equivalent to "runt") to people as well.

Another theory, also drawn from Scotland, traces "scallywag" to the Scots word "scurryvaig," meaning "vagabond." One interesting theory about "scurryvaig," in turn, is that it is derived from the Latin phrase "scurra vagas," meaning "wandering buffoon or fool."

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
mrhairy said:
Liz Costa was going mad today trying to stop Brighton fans singing about Pikeys. "Stop it," she shouted. "That's racist." Call me old fashioned but them asking me if my boyfriend knew I was there, could seriously damage my relationship.

I couldn't be arsed reading this thread but shouldn't Liz be more interested in stopping the Brighton fans sitting with her throwing things at the opposing goal keeper ? The one thing I couldn't stand yesterday were the Liverpool chants re "run from the scousers" thought that was pointless.

METALMICKY said:
Whilst Liz Costa has done alot for the club on Sat she was seriously pissing me off:angry:

Just watch the game Liz and stop getting your knickers in a twist!

Oh and while we're at just how long a statement did you give to the copper so the middle aged bloke with the glasses in front of you will get done? Fair do's if we lobbing coins or something but all he did was swipe in frustration the half empty water bottle of the balcony. The stewards spotted it and then along with the old bill carted him out in front of his kid as if he'd just launched a grenade!

Like most fair minded fans i won't tolerate certain behaviour but use your common sense! You could tell he was embarassed at swiping the water and then you spent 10 mins helping the copper with your statement. You should have said you saw nothing!:censored:
There's a somewhat different version of what happened on this other NSC thread.

Re: Re: Re: Is Pikey Racist?

Lord Bracknell said:
But what about when we chant "Town full of nazis" at Burnley and some of the more unpleasant elements in their crowd clap in response? Are we pleased that they don't seem to find the intended insult offensive?

You've just made a perfect argument why that braindead chant should never be sung to Burnley fans.

fatboy said:
Abuse from the terrace is part and parcel of football though isn't it. It wouldn't be the same without it, and if the world goes completely PC then we will not have much in the way of comedy either.

Yes, mickey-taking is part of our culture but that doesn't give anyone license to say the first idiotic thing to come into their head and think they're god's gift to comedy.

Please, please, please don't fall back on that "oh, it's all just PC gone mad" bollocks, that's an excuse just not to THINK.

We will have plenty of comedy if people come up with CLEVER and ORIGINAL stuff, which is the real essence of comedy, not repeating dull stereotypes that only really appeal to the LAZY and FUCKWITTED.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You lot have way too much time on your hands if your giving this much time to debating wether pikey is offensive, try telling that to those people in essex.:dunce:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I hate pikeys. And I'm no racist. They steal things and smell bad. Anyone who thinks Pikey is a racist term is wrong. And stupid. Not Liz Costa though, she is my hero. Just a bit misguided.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
Yes, mickey-taking is part of our culture but that doesn't give anyone license to say the first idiotic thing to come into their head and think they're god's gift to comedy.

Please, please, please don't fall back on that "oh, it's all just PC gone mad" bollocks, that's an excuse just not to THINK.

We will have plenty of comedy if people come up with CLEVER and ORIGINAL stuff, which is the real essence of comedy, not repeating dull stereotypes that only really appeal to the LAZY and FUCKWITTED.

Didn't realise football was all about the real essence of comedy. I thought it was about having a drink and watching a game, with a bit of a sing-song and mickey taking in the process.

PC gone mad.

Haha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here