Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is NSC intimidating for lurkers wanting to sign up and post?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I first started reading NSC in 2006 and didn't sign up for three years; don't know why really. There were/are a few others forums I use however, what NSC does best is humour and there are some brilliant posters on here that make me laugh.

I agree that NSC can be intimidating for newbies - if you make an error of judgment or are proved wrong expect some stick! Hopefully this thread will encourage more people to join. The more, the merrier.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I must admit that I bit a couple of times when I joined, mainly about the JCL label attached to new members. But its once you have been on here for a little while, that you understand why people get the hump when new members come on the board and start threads about Michael Owen joining. But on the whole I think its a well balanced board, and if you take everything written on here seriously, it is you that is the problem.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
man up

and jump in the deep end

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
what is JCL i may get slated for that, but i dont understand some of the terminology.
Ah this is my favourite. A 'JCL' is a 'Johnny-Come-Lately'. This refers to people who didn't give shit about the club when were were struggling as they either weren't interested in football or chose to support another team, usually a Premiership one, instead. Swayed by the recent on-field success and the new stadium they've now decided to support Brighton, or at least watch football with us. By and large JCLs aren't resented by most long-term Albion fans as most of us think 'the more the merrier' - although it will be interesting to see what happens to them when we struggle again.

JCL's shouldn't be confused with returning fans (JCBs - Johnny-come-backs?) who are long-term Brighton fans who didn't go to Withdean much (if at all) as they didn't fancy spending the best part of thirty quid to sit on a hard plastic seat in the freezing cold and pissing rain watching shit football.

And neither group should be confused with 'Newbies', who are just new posters to NSC. We were all newbies once - but not everybody is a JCL or a JCB.

HTH

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
what is JCL i may get slated for that, but i dont understand some of the terminology.

It's the sub,bespoke JCL wannabe types,like me you need to watch..

What does stand out on here compared to many similar forums is the higher than average level of (for want of a better word) intellect which generally predominates and can result in a fairly ascerbic or waspish air to the board.
Well, I thought that I can't be in this category because I had never heard of ascerbic. However when I looked it up I found you had misspelt it, so maybe you don't either :lol:

I didnt join up for a while years back because there did seem to be a few big noters on the board.
Not sure what you mean by this but I believe notters is quite tall :)

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
There seems to be more interest in putting people down to look big than open constructive debate these days. A bit of banter is all very well but some on here just seem to want a punch up all the time. Yes people do make some daft posts but they probably make them with good intentions. There seems to be more aggression in responses these days rather than light hearted fun.........awaits response to this post of twat or something similar!!!

This.

Whilst I feel sorry for newbies who post rumours who actually do have a legitimate source within the club, the slating of those who register and post a rumour with no substantial source/reasoning quite rightly deserve to receive hostile comments. However I feel unwarranted intimidation comes when questions such as 'Are the Donny tickets on sale yet' are asked and met with smart arse and sarcastic comments. I think perhaps a few members do let their post counts go to their heads and forget that many people have limited time to surf NSC/Albion related news, and as there is so much of it at the moment, NSC moves very fast and thus it's understandable if someone asks an innocent, sensible question that may have already been answered or apparent to those who are 100% up to date with Albion news. For instance a month or two ago, the term JCL seemed to be chucked around quite carelessly at anyone who mildly disagreed with a certain few more experienced NSC members. And as a previous poster suggested, there is a strong degree of wit and intellect on the forum from different age groups. It took me a while to not feel as intimidated and to figure out the general atmosphere of NSC. At the end of the day we're all Brighton fans. That can't be forgotten.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
This.

Whilst I feel sorry for newbies who post rumours who actually do have a legitimate source within the club, the slating of those who register and post a rumour with no substantial source/reasoning quite rightly deserve to receive hostile comments. However I feel unwarranted intimidation comes when questions such as 'Are the Donny tickets on sale yet' are asked and met with smart arse and sarcastic comments. I think perhaps a few members do let their post counts go to their heads and forget that many people have limited time to surf NSC/Albion related news, and as there is so much of it at the moment, NSC moves very fast and thus it's understandable if someone asks an innocent, sensible question that may have already been answered or apparent to those who are 100% up to date with Albion news. For instance a month or two ago, the term JCL seemed to be chucked around quite carelessly at anyone who mildly disagreed with a certain few more experienced NSC members. And as a previous poster suggested, there is a strong degree of wit and intellect on the forum from different age groups. It took me a while to not feel as intimidated and to figure out the general atmosphere of NSC. At the end of the day we're all Brighton fans. That can't be forgotten.

Without having seen (or wanting to go through) the 'Are the Donny tickets on sale yet?' thread, I'm afraid I have to say that it's a bit of a naive thing to post; You say they have limited time to surf NSC/Albion related news, but it would take them pretty much the same time to either look at the official site or simply ring up the ticketline.

Let's be honest, there's going to be loads of 'new' fans that are coming to the Amex and also logging on to NSC - it's a completely unofficial message board and people will quickly learn what to post and what to not post.

As for the the guys with loads of post counts - I'm afraid some of them are total twats (who probably do concentrate on their post counts more than anything), and some speak real sense. But that's pretty much the same as all posters, regardless of numbers!!

By the way, I have no idea what JCL is?!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

By the way, I have no idea what JCL is?!
But I just explained it about three posts above yours! Just 'cos I'm old and can't always make it to the toilet on time doesn't mean I should be ignored!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

It stands for 'Jesus Christ Lovers'.

NSC was originally set up to represent the Christian element amongst the fan base, and bible readings and Sunday school meetings were arranged for members of the JCL.

Given that our Lord always encouraged tolerance, we allowed non JCL's (the ones who will burn in hell for eternity) to join the board, and soon found ourselves to be in a small, (but vocal and smug, for we are the ones going to arise to heaven to meet our saviour, you're going to spend your days once dead roaming the shopping centres of Croydon) minority.

God Bless you and all your family.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
At what point does someone stop becoming a newbie? After a certain post count or time since joining?

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
The amount of naval-gazing on NSC - this thread being a paramount example - is hilarious, especially from an objective, disinterested perspective such as mine of course

Carry on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here