Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mike Bamber the greatest Albion chairman?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well...?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Depends-so far? many will say yes,before my time so for me Bloom wins hands down....and a lot goes to Dick Knight(tight call him what you like)..

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He's probably the most charismatic but I would have to give the nod to Bloom.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
It has to be Tone.

In hindsight Bamber did well, but TB is doing more than anyone, and it remains to be seen what will come of it on the pitch.

Getting Peter Taylor to stay at BHA was a coup, but I'd have to suggest that Gustavo has to be a great catch by today's standards - and financing the stadium....well, what can you say - not been done since early 1900's!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

In my eyes, rightly or wrongly, he WAS.

However, he has easily been surpassed now by Tony Bloom. Not only a life-long supporter and is the reason why we have our new stadium.......but he appears to have his business head well and truly screwed on. This at a time, when every detail of his input is put under intense scrutiny.

I don't recall anyone seriously questioning Mike Bambers motives, reasons or finances with the Albion at the time...(apart from the FA Cup money of course..!)

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I think this would be a great idea for a debate for the boys that do the Albion Roar for a podcast, taking in the history and circumstances , of all of our previous chairmen.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
way beyond my youthfull age (32) to comment!!! :p

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Mike Bamber hit the heights but created the situation that sowed the seeds for subsequent disasters. Dick Knight rescued us from those disasters. Tony Bloom is constructing something magnificent on on the footings he inherited.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I think Bamber, Knight and Bloom are all good for their times. Knight was needed to keep us afloat bloom is needed for the reconstruction I would not want to rate one above the other but provided Bloom keeps us on the up he may well eclipse Bamber who, as others have said, sowed the seeds we reaped in the 1990's.

As I have said elsewhere we have been here before as exemplified in the Damned United lets hope there is no bust after our Bloom this time. (pun intended)

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Mike Bamber hit the heights but created the situation that sowed the seeds for subsequent disasters. Dick Knight rescued us from those disasters. Tony Bloom is constructing something magnificent on on the footings he inherited.

Well said.
Bamber loaned money to the club, brought playing success but failed to build up the club infrastructure.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't think theres a debate here.

It's Tony Bloom. Simple.

Without him, we would be stuck at Withdean or even without a club. Without him we would not have a new stadium.

If Bamber was a legend(as he was) then Bloom is a god (as he is)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It depends on what you deem as greatness... Bamber was a bit before my time (I was 8 months old for the FA Cup Final). In my time, although Tony Bloom paid for the stadium and gave up our beautiful new home, we literally would have no club without Knight.

The fight for Falmer is the biggest victory anyone has ever won at the Albion and that was fundamentally as a result of Knight (and Perry's and the fans) persistence and drive to get the permission through.

I have no doubt that if things continue at this pace, Bloom will be No. 1 as his contribution in his two years has led to the most exciting time to be a Brighton fan in my lifetime.

However, the stadium campaign is the turning point in our last 30 years. Without that victory there would be no Bloom, no Gus, no new stadium and no future.

So for me? Greatest? Knight.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The time to judge Tony Bloom will be at the end of his tenure, but yeah he's in pole position to be crowned 'Greatest Chairman'.

Of the ex-chairmen Bamber is definitely up there, but I think he's shaded by Dick Knight. At the end of the day Bamber was 'just' responsible for a couple of promotions (admittedly to the top division where we'd never been), an inspired managerial choice in Mullery and an amazing bit of showmanship in getting Clough. Dick Knight brought us back from the verge of extinction, won the lengthy, costly and draining battle for the new ground (something that was beyond Bamber), all the while whilst running a very tight financial ship (something else that Bamber, for a number of reasons that weren't all his fault, couldn't do). In addition, due to some shrewd managerial choices, we still managed to be successful on the pitch and punch well above our weight, despite the handicaps of Withdean and the distraction and cost of the Falmer campaign.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Dick Knight.

As others have said, his achievements in the face of adversity and on such limited bases mean everything. What Tony Bloom is now doing is fantastic, but in some ways is what any lieflong fan dreams of doing if they had the money. Dick's achievements are all about his persistence, diplomacy, vision and so on, and thus for me more admirable and invaluable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here