Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mike Bamber the greatest Albion chairman?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'm not sure promotions alone can be seen as a measure of success otherwise Dudley Sizen with a tier 3 to tier 2 and almost a promotion to the top flight to his name would be up there.

At this moment in time I would suggest Knight but Bloom is more than likely to overtake him in the near future.

Also some may forget that when Knight invited Ray Bloom back on to the board in 1998 there were many people complaining about him and his family. Some local journalists and column writers joined in too. Wonder where we'd be now if that offer hadn't gone through?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The time to judge Tony Bloom will be at the end of his tenure, but yeah he's in pole position to be crowned 'Greatest Chairman'.

Of the ex-chairmen Bamber is definitely up there, but I think he's shaded by Dick Knight. At the end of the day Bamber was 'just' responsible for a couple of promotions (admittedly to the top division where we'd never been), an inspired managerial choice in Mullery and an amazing bit of showmanship in getting Clough. Dick Knight brought us back from the verge of extinction, won the lengthy, costly and draining battle for the new ground (something that was beyond Bamber), all the while whilst running a very tight financial ship (something else that Bamber, for a number of reasons that weren't all his fault, couldn't do). In addition, due to some shrewd managerial choices, we still managed to be successful on the pitch and punch well above our weight, despite the handicaps of Withdean and the distraction and cost of the Falmer campaign.

I agree with your first statement. Tony Bloom's tenure is still a work in progress and whilst we have a shiny new stadium, the measurement will surely be what is achieved on the pitch. As for Bamber, who knows what could have been achieved if his wingman, Keith Wickenden, hadn't died. There was always talk of moving to a new stadium but nothing ever materialised but you have to remember that necessity is the mother of invention and the same could be said of the fact that DK had no choice but to find another stadium. Who's to say that Bamber would not have achieved the same under the same circumstances.

As for Clough and Taylor, let's not forget that we signed, as a third division club, the manager that in the previous season had won the old First division title. Akin to us signing Ferguson now!!!!!

For me, having witnessed those heady years under Bamber, he is the King but his throne is under threat.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Has to be Bamber as we were a nothing nowhere club before he took over.

If you don't put the seeds in. the garden cannot grow

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Surely in a debate like this, you'd have to set the criteria first.

Still keen to have this debate with various people arguing their corner on the show.

Not sure it's an 'arguing' point TLO.

Mike Bamber got us in the 'Premiership' for the first time. He had charisma and put Brighton on the football map. Long-term finances weren't great though. During his era......nobody else could have achieved what he did.

Dick Knight whose doggedness, his main strength, got us the all important planning permission for Falmer. (I don't go with the 'he was the only one to save the Albion' line). Think he found it hard to let go at the end though. During his era.............nobody else could have achieved what he did.

Tony Bloom has..and is....our financial saviour. Not just for paying for the stadium, but appears to have the most sound and sustainable financial plans of any previous Chairman at the club. During his, so far, short tenure............nobody else could have achieved what he has done.

All three have been outstanding Chairman in their time. We are very fortunate football fans.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not sure it's an 'arguing' point TLO.

Mike Bamber got us in the 'Premiership' for the first time. He had charisma and put Brighton on the football map. Long-term finances weren't great though. During his era......nobody else could have achieved what he did.

Dick Knight whose doggedness, his main strength, got us the all important planning permission for Falmer. (I don't go with the 'he was the only one to save the Albion' line). Think he found it hard to let go at the end though. During his era.............nobody else could have achieved what he did.

Tony Bloom has..and is....our financial saviour. Not just for paying for the stadium, but appears to have the most sound and sustainable financial plans of any previous Chairman at the club. During his, so far, short tenure............nobody else could have achieved what he has done.

All three have been outstanding Chairman in their time. We are very fortunate football fans.

We are. We've had some total bastards too.

What I meant about 'arguing' their corner was... Three people come in with their argument as to why their choice of chairman was best, rather than three people with an open mind discussing X, Y and Z.

There's any number of ways we can do this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here