Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mayo.......

Our version of Francis Benali? (Should get the debate going in the pro & anti camps)

I'm not having a go, but I do see some clear similarities:

1. Loyal servant who is nearly always picked year after year regardless of who is manager, much to the amazement of some fans.

2. What he lacks in ability he makes up for in effort.

3. Fans of other clubs think he's crap.

4. Oppositions often target him as the weak point.

5. He can tackle, but his distribution is questionable.

6. He is v.popular with the fans, regardless of performance.

Discuss......

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Hardly ever scores either, although didnt Benali have a reputation for getting sent off a lot which Kerry doesnt seem to have.

Watching lots of football at various different levels, it seems to me, the position of left back is the easiest one in the team, all u have to do is be able to run around, head the ball, hoof it up the line and tackle a bit, all other positions take a degree of skill but not the left back slot!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I think Mayo is a good squad player to be honest. He's fairly consistant and always gives 100%. A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you. Infact one of my first ever posts on NSC was to slate Mayo (when we were back in the 3rd div) and I got totally flamed. This season he has really proved what a good player he is. I don't think he is up to the 1st Div so much but he does seem reasonably comfortable at this level.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Some good Mayo moments:

Against Chesterfield (year we won Div 3)

He came racing out of left back position, took on about 3 players before unleashing a fierce right footed drive which almost went in.

Against Macclesfield (away, Div 3)

Cross came in, everyone ran out except Mayo who ran towards goal. Blasted a header past the keeper, for what I think was the equaliser.

Against Derby last season

Managed to kick the ball against the post about 3 times from 4 yards out before finally getting the winner.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Lammy said:
This season he has really proved what a good player he is.

Have to disagree..... this season Mayo has been continually disappointing at best, downright awful at times. The left side of the team has struggled, especially when Jonah is having an off day as well.

Who plays left back fro the reserves?? I think Mayo could do with being dropped for a while....

fatboy said:
Some good Mayo moments:

Against Chesterfield (year we won Div 3)

He came racing out of left back position, took on about 3 players before unleashing a fierce right footed drive which almost went in.

Did that away at Wolves last season as well but think he struck it with his left foot.

Also:

Away at Barnet, pre-season July 2003

Stunning left foot volley into the top right corner from 25 yards.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If I remember rightly he came second in our vote for player of the season in the 1st division.

He was the only player that Coppout picked for every game.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
ChutneyStirrer said:
Have to disagree..... this season Mayo has been continually disappointing at best, downright awful at times. The left side of the team has struggled, especially when Jonah is having an off day as well.

Who plays left back fro the reserves?? I think Mayo could do with being dropped for a while....

I sometimes wonder how we are third in the league when according to this board the whole team is shite exept for Knight and he spends most of his time of his arse!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Also:

Pre season friendly, Hailsham

Forced to be substitued after wrestling with an opponent in penalty box

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
It's also a point worth noting that the left side of defense is usually exploited in most games due to the lack of left footed players!

This means there are less left backs to choose from and it is also a good chance that the opposition's right winger is the stronger of the two. Not always, but ususally. I certainly don't think managers look at Brighton footage and think, "Go for Mayo he looks shit"

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Lammy said:
certainly don't think managers look at Brighton footage and think, "Go for Mayo he looks shit"

Lammy did you go to Wimbledon away last year?

larus

I thought Kerry played well laster season after the Wolves away game. Before then he had looked dodgy.

This season he's not been as good IMO. However, he's loyal and a supporter which are big plus points for me. I'd take Mayo over Roberto Carlos any day :shootself - bloody glory hunters.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
larus said:
I thought Kerry played well laster season after the Wolves away game. Before then he had looked dodgy.

This season he's not been as good IMO. However, he's loyal and a supporter which are big plus points for me.

Spot on larus. Wolves was the turning point for Kezza last season when he found his form. I am waiting for a game this year when he will do the same.

I currently have to agree with those who say that the left side looks very suspect.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If poor distribution was a main reason for dropping a player we'd struggle to put a side out...:lolol:

I still believe that a lot of Mayo's apparent poor games is down to the fact that he's seldom got any cover from the likes of Jones and usually has 2 players coming at him down their right wing(s).

He must be alright though because no incoming new manager has kicked him out yet-Gritt, Horton, Adams, Taylor, Coppout and now McGhee all continue(d) to play him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
And yet ... We're still a mere third ... Are we being more than a little over critical here ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is the Chesterfield game you are talking about the home or away game? In the away game (the one where Otway got sent off), he was awesome - as good as Cullip has ever played. Yeah, I know one game doesn't make a blah blah blah, but you should have seen him.

Cracking goal at home to Leyton Orient that season too. Finshed equal top scorer one season..

The point about his distribution is that when Zamora was playing, he used to make the runs in the left 'channel' which made it easier for Mayo to play a decent pass. This made Mayo look pretty good. Without being too critical, neither Knight nor McPhee make those sort of runs. So Mayo has to play a more difficult pass or just hoof it. Once Rodger returns, he should get some decent assistance on the left hand side - cos Jones often leaves him awfully exposed.

Having said that, some of his simpler passes have been pretty embarrassing this season. :nono:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
in footballing times such as these, when the turnover of players is so high, you've got to give anyone like kerry mayo a lot of credit.

i don't need to remind anyone that he played in "that" game at hereford. think how many players we have got through since then. we've had 5 managers since then, all looking to build their own teams (maybe not taylor) and he's virtually always been in the first team squad

as supporters, we normally only see a small (if important) part of what the players do every week. i get the impression that mayo is a very committed trainer and an influential member of the squad.

(plus he was born at cuckfield general, same as me.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here