Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mark McGhee sackable?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Harty said:
Sorry Large One but I think you have all but missed Richie's point, its all very well making your smart comments and banging on about being patient, but football club chairman, including Dick Knight, are not known for their patience.
I certainly don't want McGhee sacked at any point but we know that DK isn't afriad to wield the axe when he deems it necessary, and I have to say knowing him as I do, and you do for that matter, the paying public having a pop at him as he sits in the North Stand at Withdean might in some ways cloud his judgement.

Knight should be the one to go. He just does not have the money and is simply hanging around like an old fart, waiting to collect when we get planning for a ground!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
3gulls said:
Knight should be the one to go. He just does not have the money and is simply hanging around like an old fart, waiting to collect when we get planning for a ground!

It's like a stuck record isn't it ? Just who would be interested in a club with no home and no assets ?

Dick Knight won't go and very few would want him to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
3gulls said:

You sir, are a twat.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hungry Joe said:
No manager is un-sackable, simple as. As for the merits/de-merits of Mark McGhee, well it's been done to death really hasn't it? What would anger me if I were him though is knowing you're the only manager in recent years that has shown any loyality to the club and combined that with promotion to the second flight of English football and then avoiding relegation against all the odds and yet that's still not good enough for some people. I'm not saying he's above criticism for what happens on the playing field but a lot of the flack he gets is just absurd.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Simster said:
Think about it this way: after getting us promoted, we finished 4th to bottom last season and most of this board were staisfied that McGhee has done his job. We then sold our best player and another "promising" youngster for combined fees of £2m. In addition, we received £500k for Currie & Cullip, both fairly senior players who also contributed for a significant part of last season.

At the end of the day, how much of that £2.5m has McGhee been given for team strengthening? And in any case, we're not able to compete for players we can afford because of the crap stadium set up and the lack of certainty for our future.

It's very very frustrating, and means McGhee's mistakes are glaringly highlighted instead of being glossed over. Afterall, who will remember that Alex McGleish has wasted £8.5m on Alain Boumsong (a player that even an incompetent Graeme Souness realised wasn't up to it) if they manage to finish in a Champions League place?

That is spot on Simster! Too many people round here are living in cloud cukoo land!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, the key here is that McGhee did his job well last year and NOBODY (or hardly anyone) on this site complained about finishing 4th from bottom. And now Morris starts one of his usual "controversial" crap threads about whether McGhee could be sacked when we're only 5 points from mid-table with even fewer resources than we had last season.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
For me, the key here is that McGhee did his job well last year and NOBODY (or hardly anyone) on this site complained about finishing 4th from bottom. And now Morris starts one of his usual "controversial" crap threads about whether McGhee could be sacked when we're only 5 points from mid-table with even fewer resources than we had last season.

McGhee did his job last season. But what does worry me is that we have won 2 games since February and yet there seems to be no pressure on him at all. At the end of the day was is a horrific run. The flip side is that the division is so tight that a couple of wins and things are fine again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
McGhee did his job last season. But what does worry me is that we have won 2 games since February and yet there seems to be no pressure on him at all. At the end of the day was is a horrific run. The flip side is that the division is so tight that a couple of wins and things are fine again.
Who says there is no pressure on him? And anyway, I don't want our manager reverting to panic stations after a dozen games when we're two points from safety!
And as you say, it's too tight to worry about at the moment. Two wins and we're looking in good shape.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simster said:

Agreed Simster, Ritchie was at his ambiguous best yesterday, where's that Fanzine got to ?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think that we are punching well above our weight with the resources available, regardless of manager, I just hope that if we get Falmer some funds are released because otherwise we are in trouble.

OK Mcghee has spent money on much needed forwards but what can you really get for the money we have spent? A kid with potential is about it and a complete and maybe misguided gamble on an Argentinian, but I bet youll struggle to find any manager in the league who hasnt made several bad signings.

The squad is just not strong enough to cover injuries, we desperately need another left back and a decent defensive midfielder, although would be good to see Nicolas have a game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are 2 wins off mid table, there are no Rotherham's this year and we need to hold our nerve. NSC the home of the knee jerk reaction.

On the sacking front to compare McGhhe's current situation with the Gritt (legend yes, great manager I don't think so), Wood and Hinshelwood situations is a joke imo

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Icy Gull said:
We are 2 wins off mid table, there are no Rotherham's this year and we need to hold our nerve. NSC the home of the knee jerk reaction.

On the sacking front to compare McGhhe's current situation with the Gritt (legend yes, great manager I don't think so), Wood and Hinshelwood situations is a joke imo

Spot on Icy :thumbsup:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Icy Gull said:

Yes, but we all know Morris needs to get as much attention as possible and what better way to acheive it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here