Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mark McGhee sackable?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Harty said:
Sorry Yorkie Ferret has obviously mis-informed me on this or I have misunderstood the whole process. I thought JP could say no to Falmer but recommend that we build a new stadium elsewhere in the city, ie Sheepcote Valley or Waterhall.
Is that not the case?
Via Ferret that was were I got the stadium MAYBE scenario from.

I might have misinterpreted the information but as I see it we have applied for a stadium. JP said yes we can have a stadium but to look at other sites to see if any were better than Falmer so the answer is yes or no to Falmer.
I don't think he has to say which site, if any, is better. Just my opinion and I hope Lord B or someone can put me straight if it is wrong.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
KinkyGoebels said:
I think the whole no one could do as well as mcghee thing is rubbish as well.

But has anyone really been saying that? The question is could anyone else do any better than him? and, bearing in mind the resources available, I certainly wouldn't put any money on any other manager improving things.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For someone to do better they have to be

1: Available

2: Willing to accept the Albion wage offer

who does that leave us with?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Richie Morris said:
The coca cola money was £250k and I remember hearing repeatedly on Harty's phone in that Turienzo was £150k.

That money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Anyhow, this was not meant to be a 'should we sack McGhee thread' I was just wondering whether we now have a manager who is above the sack.

What a load of bollocks.

Kazim-Richards transfer fee will be £100k at the maximum.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Re: Re: Re: Is Mark McGhee sackable?

KinkyGoebels said:
200k on ckr and 150k on el turi add that to 15k to mccammon a nd its gettint there

CKR was £55k and £45k for appearances.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yorkie said:
I might have misinterpreted the information but as I see it we have applied for a stadium. JP said yes we can have a stadium but to look at other sites to see if any were better than Falmer so the answer is yes or no to Falmer.
I don't think he has to say which site, if any, is better. Just my opinion and I hope Lord B or someone can put me straight if it is wrong.

That is pretty my understanding of it.

If Prescott deems any of the other 7 sites viable, we build there; if not, we build at Falmer.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
El Presidente said:
There is no logical reason why investment would "surely follow". Falmer is going to cost £40million, with no guarantee of a return, or any idea what division we will be in when it is finally opened (2007/08 at the earliest).

The only extra investment I know of is the original costs of the application and PE, approx £3mill . this will be transferred to the stadium company and the funds put back into the club.

The interesting stuff will be how much of it is availbale.

One problem with being at the bottom of the league is that although loan people did not want to come to us before because of the Withdean factor, this will really make their mind up now

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
dave the gaffer said:
The only extra investment I know of is the original costs of the application and PE, approx £3mill . this will be transferred to the stadium company and the funds put back into the club.

The interesting stuff will be how much of it is availbale.

One problem with being at the bottom of the league is that although loan people did not want to come to us before because of the Withdean factor, this will really make their mind up now

Exactly doesn't help attract them - say your a young player half decent - then take for example Us and Huddersfield offer them a loan deal - do you take going to a team with a less than satisfactory stadium situation no mney and bottom of the league.

Or team a headed upwards top of their divison, confidence bubbling, decent stadium, good crowds each week.

Don't need Enstien to awnser that one.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think what we have here is a manager we can't afford to sack.

AJ, you're right you Palarse bastard :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To answer Richie's original question - which wasn't a question - it was a loaded statement. So I won't try and answer it.

He only asked it beause we're on a dreadful run. If we were riding high, he wouldn't ask it. Now if he asked 'should the board sack McGhee?' then that may be worthy of a proper debate. (My repsonse would be NO, incidentally - it wouldn't solve anything.) But he didn't, because he has a desparate yearning to be a fourth-rate, big-headline tabloid hack, who misses deadlines more than Hammond misses sitters.

Apart from to say that this is McGhee's team, which isn't firing on all cylinders. But it is just and just keeping its head above water. My main criticism, one which I am sure has been mentioned here this weekend (I haven't trawled the board yet), is what's the point of firing in so many crosses - and there were plenty - when your two centre-forwards are 5'4"?

I feel a little patience is what's required.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Where is Ernest when you want him.

No he can't be sacked, doesn't mean to say he hasn't lost his way. He should recognise that 2 from 25 is just plain awful. Our home form is just terrible, and the players don't seem to be responding to him.

There is no doubt we are down on this form, and I just cannot see what will change it, can you?

As to skills of players he has brought in:

Dodd - Mayo's faster, its not suprising the Saints let him go.
Freddie - Not up to it
Carole - Generally excellent (apart from Cardiff!)
Chaigneau - Not up to it
Jarett - Getting better but not championshuip
McShane - Brilliant, but being asked to do too much, because no proper cover on the left or right, and with Tank being a little slow on his feet nowadays (sorry Tank) he is having to work harder.
McGammon -League 1 standard
CKR - Not this year or next, flashes of brilliance, but just flashes.
Frutos - Not seen enough

Basically, we are just not good enough.

I can't imagine why anyone else would want the job though.

:( :( :( :( :( :nono:

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
[i
Apart from to say that this is McGhee's team, which isn't firing on all cylinders. But it is just and just keeping its head above water. My main criticism, one which I am sure has been mentioned here this weekend (I haven't trawled the board yet), is what's the point of firing in so many crosses - and there were plenty - when your two centre-forwards are 5'4"?

. [/B]

which was exactly the point I made...but was accused of being disloyal......ho hum.

If you are playing long balls, you must play Turenzo, even if Yorkie thinks he is crap.....if you are looking to play on the ground stuff, apart from the full backs, keep it as it is, with exception of Fructos for Jarrett

Oh and Dont take off Jake just when he had set up a goal and looked our most dangerous player

McGhee made a terrible error when he took him off...not for the first time IMHO

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Correct, not for the first time - but it's not a regular occurence, thankfully.

For a bit of perspective, I thought (yes, yes I know a different division) that we played some pretty woeful football at times under Peter Taylor - and we won the division! The problem with his team is the same as today's team - no credible midfield. Funny old game innit?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Goring Gull said:
Exactly doesn't help attract them - say your a young player half decent - then take for example Us and Huddersfield offer them a loan deal - do you take going to a team with a less than satisfactory stadium situation no mney and bottom of the league.

Or team a headed upwards top of their divison, confidence bubbling, decent stadium, good crowds each week.

Don't need Enstien to awnser that one.

Without wanting to turn into DWAYNE I think some people here need a lesson on investment. Investors want the business they are investing in to make a profit. The Albion have not made a profit for over 30 years, even when we were averaging crowds of 25,000+.

If we get Falmer, and the cost is (say) £40million, then at an interest rate of 7% this is £2.8million going out of the club per season in intrerest costs.

At an average gate of 12,000 (a reasonable expectation, perhaps a little optimistic to be honest), then the interest cost alone is going to cost fans £10 per match. Add £3 per match for park and ride, and that does not leave much for wages, running costs, and investment in the team.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The problem is we cant afford to get away with playing woeful stuff as this division is very tight and each club is capable of playing some good stuff ( even us vs Plymouth and Leeds)

Watching the albion this year, I am convinced at the moment the table does not lie.

I was very enthused after Plymouth thinking we had turned the corner.......perhaps I was cruelly misled

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here