Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is John Byrne part of the anti Adams faction?

Of course the answer is no. But he is the most asture pundit on SCR and most honest presenter when it comes to the evaluation of games and situations.

He knows our home form is crap and he knows that something is wrong if we can't win our home games and can't beat Orient in 90 minutes with a 2 goal lead.

I sense he is frustrated at Harty's blinkered approach to the whole situation and in particular at the disingenuous comments about 'papering over the cracks'.

Last season we had a relatively new manager who generally was doing a good job on the pitch and making the most of our young talent and trying to blend in the odd experienced player or two.

This season with a very experienced manager our young talent is not showing the same form and the blending in of the experienced has a long way to go.

The sensible on here have correctly highlighted the shortcomings which are legitimate observations and sadly those with the power of the radio choose to belittle much of the constuctive and just criticism which is being levelled at the manager.

John Byrne can see the real situation and while he will of course publicly support MA, he will do it in a proportionate and fair manner. Harty sadly has gone too far the other way and is losing respect for his attitude to what many fair minded fans feel is poor fair.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course the answer is no. But he is the most asture pundit on SCR and most honest presenter when it comes to the evaluation of games and situations.

He knows our home form is crap and he knows that something is wrong if we can't win our home games and can't beat Orient in 90 minutes with a 2 goal lead.

I sense he is frustrated at Harty's blinkered approach to the whole situation and in particular at the disingenuous comments about 'papering over the cracks'.

Last season we had a relatively new manager who generally was doing a good job on the pitch and making the most of our young talent and trying to blend in the odd experienced player or two.

This season with a very experienced manager our young talent is not showing the same form and the blending in of the experienced has a long way to go.

The sensible on here have correctly highlighted the shortcomings which are legitimate observations and sadly those with the power of the radio choose to belittle much of the constuctive and just criticism which is being levelled at the manager.

John Byrne can see the real situation and while he will of course publicly support MA, he will do it in a proportionate and fair manner. Harty sadly has gone too far the other way and is losing respect for his attitude to what many fair minded fans feel is poor fair.

In every game I have listened to on SCR Byrne has called what's wrong and what's needed and what would happen if things on the pitch weren't changed. Worrying that a commentator can see things that the manager can't imo.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In every game I have listened to on SCR Byrne has called what's wrong and what's needed and what would happen if things on the pitch weren't changed. Worrying that a commentator can see things that the manager can't imo.

From an EXPERIENCED manager that worries me as well. But then ADAMS has ALWAYS been a ONE TRICK pony.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's oh so easy being a sideline pundit working for a low budget radio station.

Maybe you don't listen to the match commentary but listening to Byrne's comments when compared to Norman Galls may change your opinion on that.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sideline pundit? This is not HARTY or Mike whatshisface or blokes on the phone in.

This is a guy who has PLAYED and been managed at the highest level! Slightly more than sideline punditry!

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

John Byrne is quality - He makes listening to SCR bearable

He was manager of one of our youg teams u15s or similar when Jake was a lad and applied for the job that was given in preference by MA to Dean White originally. So perhaps he is a little anti MA, which would be understand able.

I don't think he's anti MA at all. I think he's perhaps a bit frustrated that we should be able to kill games like Saturday and last night off and that for whatever reason MA's tactics, or the players possibly not following instruction are causing us to balls it up all the time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
John Byrne is a f***ing legend. That is all

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I always enjoy it when John Byrne is on. His habit of saying "like I say", often when he has not said anything before, is quite endearing.

He reads a game well and I often wish it was him giving the half time chat to the team.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't it Byrne, whilst playing for Sunderland, that showd the northStand the 1-0 sign when we were beating them at home in answer to 'Johnny, what's the score' and all that.

Adams never was the greatest tactician in the game.

Very good motivator, very good at finding the right players to do a job but I was often a bit confused about his tactics and his use of substitutes.

Of course the fact that I was confused doesn't make him wrong and me right, after all he is, or at least has been, a very successful manager whereas I haven't, but watching the game against Cheltenham where it was crying out for an attacking sub to go and win the game reminded me of my concerns about him the first time around.

That said, I'm 100% behind him and hope that he'll turn things around.

The faith is still there if wobbling a touch!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
JB is a legend.

I don't think he is anti MA.... however he is a friend of Wilkins as they both played here together and on several occasions last season and this has refered to being friends with Wilkins.

Think he is probably just trying to be impartial and probably wouldn't come out slag Wilkins off even if he thought it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
JB is a legend.

I don't think he is anti MA.... however he is a friend of Wilkins as they both played here together and on several occasions last season and this has refered to being friends with Wilkins.

Think he is probably just trying to be impartial and probably wouldn't come out slag Wilkins off even if he thought it.

JB is a friend of Wilkins, not fantastically close but friends nonetheless.

The thing is you will not find a genuine footballing person that could possibly agree with Wilkins sacking, no way.

The released players would be dismissed, the inconsitencies of available funds scorned at, the sudden acceptance of greedy players and pesky agents laughed at and all for what, a pretty uninspiring start.

Whilst Harty, Naylor and other non footballing people blindly follow MA, JB probably acknowledges that it was an unecessary risk to re-appoint Adams and sack Wilkins at a time when the club looked like making some progress.

Football is in many ways quite a complicated and fragile business, something that many board members throughout the country have yet to grasp.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
f***ing hell, is there nothing that some people will try and dredge up just to suit their own agenda?

Who honestly gives a rats arse if JB is part of this so-called 'anti-Adams' brigade. He's a commentator, paid to do a job, and give the listener every possible scope of the game that they can't see. Why do potential coaches go into media? Because they can't be arsed with the flack and shit that goes with being involved directly in the game, and with the flogging MA is getting 1/5th into a season, who can honestly blame them.

Let it go for christs sake, because this is getting really boring now. Yes we have been naff at home, but the way some of you are going on, it's like the players are doing it on purpose. It will get sorted, and we will get better, but continously getting on the players and the managers back is counter-productive. FACT.

That's why I understand Adams throwaway and slightly snipey comment yesterday about being 7th. Clearly he is irritated by that and why wouldn't he be?

:rant:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Let it go for christs sake, because this is getting really boring now. Yes we have been naff at home, but the way some of you are going on, it's like the players are doing it on purpose. It will get sorted, and we will get better, but continously getting on the players and the managers back is counter-productive. FACT.

:rant:

I think an example of the thing that is annoying so many posters on here is that, with 20 minutes to go, the VAST MAJORITY of the Withdean crowd could see the right thing to do was go for the winner at 3-2 against Cheltenham, yet the one man that matters couldn't see that.

That's where the frustration lies, as he is paid to know better than us.

Note - I am generally pro-Adams, but could not understand his tactics in the last third of the Cheltenham match at all. It was as if we were 3-2 up against a Premiership side, desperately defending for our lives when in reality we were at home against significantly inferior opposition and should've had the confidence to tear them apart, because we played much the better football for 60+ minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here