Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is joel lynch the most overated player

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He needs to get his head down, train hard and improve. Potential yes but no more than average at best so far in his career.

and very poor in his latest spell.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I can't work out if he is a Bramble (shows promise but ultimately shite) or a Ferdinand (bit too casual but such a class act he will get away with it).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be in the minority but I believe that his best position is left back where he is quiote good but he is not good enough in the air or on the ground for a central defender.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
So you spoke to a Championship scout who can read inside the mind of a player who plays for another club, and he chose to tell you that?

Blimey, what a wobbly gob he's got.

Yeah, but it is kind of true though isn't it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
How do you know how good Joel Lynch thinks Joel Lynch is? More to the point, how does he?

Has he had some sessions on the couch with him, talking about his mother, or his childhood?

Oh right, I get you. So if someone was going round punching people in the face I would have to get them psychoanalytically assessed to determine whether they had aggressive tendencies or not? I couldn't just form that opinion from their actions.

Much the same that from Lynch's occasionally casual attitude on the pitch I shouldn't be able to form the opinion that he thinks he can get away with strolling it sometimes.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
So you spoke to a Championship scout who can read inside the mind of a player who plays for another club, and he chose to tell you that?

Blimey, what a wobbly gob he's got.

Well it was a club that was having him watched, so right or wrong, its a conclusion you cant ignore:bigwave:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh right, I get you. So if someone was going round punching people in the face I would have to get them psychoanalytically assessed to determine whether they had aggressive tendencies or not? I couldn't just form that opinion from their actions.

Much the same that from Lynch's occasionally casual attitude on the pitch I shouldn't be able to form the opinion that he thinks he can get away with strolling it sometimes.

Yeah, his attitude is (sometimes wrongly) 'laid-back', but that's different saying he's thinks he's better than he really is.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be honest I think he is a bit lightweight at times but that comes with age and experience.

Is he SHIT? No. Overrated? Possibly. But I would have Elphick over him or even Guy or El Abd at the moment as he does look a little out of sorts at present.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Yeah, his attitude is (sometimes wrongly) 'laid-back', but that's different saying he's thinks he's better than he really is.

...at present. I think a laid back attitude on the football pitch suggests a player who has the ability but is a bit to confident in it. I give you Rio Ferdinand as a perfect example of this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
...at present. I think a laid back attitude on the football pitch suggests a player who has the ability but is a bit to confident in it. I give you Rio Ferdinand as a perfect example of this.

Blimey, one f*** up (a bad one, admittedly) against Forest and we've got a player with an ego problem?

Meanwhile, back in the real world, we have a 20/21 year old, still learning his trade, who is going to make mistakes, but in reality makes far, far more tackles, headers, passes and defending well than he does badly. If he continues doing that, and improving, he could defend so laid back that he's horizontal if it meant if was effective, for all I care.

Back to the original question; the answer is, 'of course not'.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I think he is a good player who started the previous season in excellent form. That said he is somewhat overated. Lynch often looks ponderous and does have some flaws to his game. I think London Irish once said something on here along the lines of “he looks 95% championship player and 5% conference player”, and while I would change the percentages a bit, I agree with the premiss. I am sure with the right support he could turn into a very good player.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Blimey, one f*** up (a bad one, admittedly) against Forest and we've got a player with an ego problem?

Meanwhile, back in the real world, we have a 20/21 year old, still learning his trade, who is going to make mistakes, but in reality makes far, far more tackles, headers, passes and defending well than he does badly. If he continues doing that, and improving, he could defend so laid back that he's horizontal if it meant if was effective, for all I care.

Back to the original question; the answer is, 'of course not'.

But it's not just one f*** up though is it and let's be honest he does get away with being somewhat 'laid back' at times.

I would agree with you that he isn't overrated, just that he needs to do some work on his game if he is gonna step up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But it's not just one f*** up though is it and let's be honest he does get away with being somewhat 'laid back' at times.

I would agree with you that he isn't overrated, just that he needs to do some work on his game if he is gonna step up.

Well, of course.

But being laid back isn't necessarily the problem.

Besides which, EVERY player likes to think they are better than they really are.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Well, of course.

But being laid back isn't necessarily the problem.

Besides which, EVERY player likes to think they are better than they really are.

How do you know this? Have you spoken to all of them indepthly, consulted experts about their mental state and their footballing ability?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here