Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is joel lynch the most overated player

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Where does this idea come from that Lynch "thinks he's better than he is"? I'd say too many "experts" have talked him up too soon.

He looks promising, does the basics fairly well, and looks comfortable on the ball, but is still prone to a massive f*** up every now and then.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Where does this idea come from that Lynch "thinks he's better than he is"?

I'll give you a clue.
Try reading the thread instead of jumping in with two feet.:rolleyes:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll give you a clue.
Try reading the thread instead of jumping in with two feet.:rolleyes:
I've scanned the thread and I'm still none the wiser. Unless we're counting the post that you overheard from some scout who has probably never spoken to him. And lets face it, you don't know whether he has or not, because you only overheard one throwaway comment.

I'd just rather hear it from someone who has actually met him. :rolleyes:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This quote from a Championship scout says it all.

"Lynch thinks he is better than he is at present"

To reiterate what TLO, Simster et al have asked..."when has Lynch ever given the slightest inkling to a journalist, fan, scout or ther player that he thinks he's better than say....any other player?". In fact, can anyone ever recall Lynch ever making a controversial statement in his career at Brighton?

...and who is this scout? Does he exist?

f***'s sake. There's only Kuipers left to knock on this board today and that'll be the complete team that everyone has written off. The same team that a few weeks ago got us into 7th place.

Compare and contrast with the squad, the form and the style of football we were playing this time last year. We are miles better now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
for Buzzer

Kuipers in haircut outrage.

Michel Kuipers today stated that he would almost certainly refuse to sign a new contract following remarks made to him by fans about his new haircut.

He told The Evening Arseblast that he had always tried to ''deliver'' when it came to new hairstyles for the fans before so was devastated to hear criticisms from the travelling support on Boxing day about his new look barnet.

''If the Brighton fans dont like the way I wear my hair then I`m off and then maybe they will be happy when they get some old slaphead keeper in on loan.''

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
for Buzzer

Kuipers in haircut outrage.

Michel Kuipers today stated that he would almost certainly refuse to sign a new contract following remarks made to him by fans about his new haircut.

He told The Evening Arseblast that he had always tried to ''deliver'' when it came to new hairstyles for the fans before so was devastated to hear criticisms from the travelling support on Boxing day about his new look barnet.

''If the Brighton fans dont like the way I wear my hair then I`m off and then maybe they will be happy when they get some old slaphead keeper in on loan.''

:nono: - Genuinely shocked by this, Questions.

We were all in awe of his haircut yesterday. It pissed over Bas's effort. He looked the absolute mutt's nuts with the Mr T cut.

Understandable though that he has taken it to heart. I too, have been hurt really badly (to the point where I've questioned my very reasoning and mental state) with nasty comments about my own hair.

It really is the grassy knoll over a man's soul. We should perhaps let Michel have a little time for reflection.

It all went tits up for the Albion when old-fashioned barbers like Bill Berry of Tarring (who I'm sure you remember, Questions) and Andy Cooper of Brighton popped their clogs.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
To reiterate what TLO, Simster et al have asked..."when has Lynch ever given the slightest inkling to a journalist, fan, scout or ther player that he thinks he's better than say....any other player?". In fact, can anyone ever recall Lynch ever making a controversial statement in his career at Brighton?

...and who is this scout? Does he exist?
QUOTE]

A player does not have to SAY anything. Football scouts, coaches, managers can read style of play and body language. They are professionals and get paid very good money to make these judgements.

But I suspect you would have us believe you are probably as clever as them:rolleyes:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No...he is young learning his trade and not helped sometimes by team selection

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A player does not have to SAY anything. Football scouts, coaches, managers can read style of play and body language. They are professionals and get paid very good money to make these judgements.

But I suspect you would have us believe you are probably as clever as them:rolleyes:

eh? Where have I professed to be as good as a footie professional? Pretty desperate stuff from you there, Uncle C. It's you that seems to want to give me a master class in what it takes to be a scout with your first sentence above.

I, along with other people, have just asked if you can point out an occasion when Joel Lynch has acted the "big I am". If you just want to sling insults back and forth then this thread ain't going anywhere, is it?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I, along with other people, have just asked if you can point out an occasion when Joel Lynch has acted the "big I am".

Who said he has?

For anyone skilled in the art, a judgement can be made on the ability and attitude of a player without his having to say a word. Its a shame that concept is a little too difficult for you to grasp?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It must be added that scouts talk to each other, players agents, families and even other players before recommending a player as they need to assess his ability, outlook and also his mates and habits before investing large sums of money on him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Who said he has?

For anyone skilled in the art, a judgement can be made on the ability and attitude of a player without his having to say a word. Its a shame that concept is a little too difficult for you to grasp?

Yes. You're right. I'm thick as shit me. I misconstrued the comment: Lynch "thinks he's better than he is" as somehow him thinking that he was better than he is.

Once again, thank you so much for schooling me in the art of scouting for players. Apparently I was unaware that a players ability and attitude could be read, not by talking to a player (which is of course all that I would have done) but the technique known as watching him play. Of course, you'd need to be "skilled in the art" to grasp that concept. I can barely get my head around it still.

Thank f*** I don't do scouting for a living, eh?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yes. You're right. I'm thick as shit me.

Thank f*** I don't do scouting for a living, eh?

I really dont think you need to be that hard on yourself. :nono:

You sound like a Lynch fan (as I am) so dont get so concerned about this Scouts judgement. What it means, is that one particular Championship club may not be in for him in January. :drink:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I just find it impossible to reconcile the player described in the thread with the player that people have described to me. Friend of the Lynch family tells me that apparently he is his own worst critic and is forever trying to better himself as a player and learn about reading the game from people like G O'C, Forster and esp Butters.

I just think he's suffered like Hammond did when he came back from injury and not having Butters alongside him has really affected his game. El-Abd is not in my opinion a centre back and they don't play well together. He needs an out and out centre-back partner (like Butters). All the best centre-back partnerships have an almost 6th sense about knowing where each other is.

I'm glad you're a fan though. I really don't want this turning into a massive sarcasm-fest and would be interested in what you think of my views in this post.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Not meaning to add to the shit pile but sometimes it is possible to read more into a players attitude through their performance than through what they say.

Rio Ferdinand is always giving it the 'I'm a down to earth chap who gives 100% for the team' rubbish. But as has been shown by performances in the past he doesn't always try, to the point of being dropped for England for not trying hard enough.

Now with Lynch I think the point is he doesn't necessarily think he is better than he actually is, he think's he is capable of things at this stage that perhaps he isn't. He is very good on the ball but sometimes he over elaborates and plays himself into trouble which suggests a slight over confidence. Another example is he is very quick so on occassion he relies a bit to much on it to get him out of trouble.

The point is that he has the ability but at his age he doesn't necessarily know how to use it to it's best. The trouble is some of the mistakes he makes suggest a slight over confidence born out of this abundance of abilty.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:nono: - Genuinely shocked by this, Questions.

We were all in awe of his haircut yesterday. It pissed over Bas's effort. He looked the absolute mutt's nuts with the Mr T cut.

Understandable though that he has taken it to heart. I too, have been hurt really badly (to the point where I've questioned my very reasoning and mental state) with nasty comments about my own hair.

It really is the grassy knoll over a man's soul. We should perhaps let Michel have a little time for reflection.

It all went tits up for the Albion when old-fashioned barbers like Bill Berry of Tarring (who I'm sure you remember, Questions) and Andy Cooper of Brighton popped their clogs.

Haircuts in Worthing and Brighton have moved on Buzzer so dont give me that old claptrap about cuts were better in the past. You are talking to a man who still remembers short back and sides and fathers who wore Brylcream. Its not just Kuipers though is it ?

I remember Peter Ward asking for a transfer after criticism over his Harpo.

Time they grew up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here