Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is ITV dying on its ARSE ?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
They lost advertising revenue so cut the budget on programme making, which is obviously going to make people change channel, hence reducing advertising income.

Repeat until bankrupt.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They lost advertising revenue so cut the budget on programme making, which is obviously going to make people change channel, hence reducing advertising income.

Repeat until bankrupt.

All the commercial channels have been affected though. I believe Channel Five revenue is down even more than ITV.

Advertising revenue didn't suddenly go down because people weren't watching.

The space goes to the highest bidder and obviously the highest bids got lower and lower as the recession kicked it.

I would have thought that other commercial channels work on even smaller margins than ITV.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
itv have been crap for years.

happy to see them disappear into telly oblivion

The problem with that though is that (aside from thousands of redundancies ITV going to the wall would create) is that the rest of our TV would get worse as there'd be less competition. The BBC in particular needs effective commercial competition to keep its' own standards high.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Shortly you will be able to watch ITV1 +1 on satellite :) (6 macro regions available). Viewers in SCO , NI and CI will have to add a version into "other channels" on their Sky box.

ITV1 +1 was due to start 1st October but now postponed indefinitely , not connected with the reccession but to do with contractual rights mechanisms.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be easy to label ITV as The Chav Channel...alright, let's be honest, ITV IS the Chav Channel.

The facts for me are the last show I regularly watched on ITV was "Hornblower", and "Sharpe" was good as well - that's got to be going back 10 years though...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it just me that thinks it but are ITV now putting more adverts into each commercial break thus reducing the length of the actual program as it certainly appears to be so.

Havent read all of this thread so if this is fixtures sorry.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is it just me that thinks it but are ITV now putting more adverts into each commercial break thus reducing the length of the actual program as it certainly appears to be so.

Havent read all of this thread so if this is fixtures sorry.

Yes you are right.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
You should try living up here.

Even the few quality things that ITV invests in don't get shown. OK so the "Wuthering Heights" adaptation that was on the other weekend may not be your cup of tea, but at least ITV have put some dosh into making it, rather than just sticking on another "It'll be Alright on the Night" rerun from 2002.

So what have STV done? "Opted out" of all ITV drama like Wuthering Heights, The Bill, Miss Marple, Blue Murder etc etc.

And instead we get UTTER GASH like "Made in Scotland" about famous Scots who've made it on the world stage (ie ****ing Lorraine Kelly and Sean Connery AGAIN) and "The Scots Who Fought Franco" – the kind of obscure shite that would struggle to raise three viewers on The History Channel, but here is Thursday evening prime time.

f***ing joke.

Amen to that. The BBC isn't much better with crap like River City and Beechgrove Garden.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think anyone who relies on advertising is in a real battle at the moment.

Shows coming on with no adverts at all is something I've noticed creeping in. Five have the late Sunday Night NFL game, and have no adverts whatsoever. Yeah, you may say that's Five for you, and it is a late night slot, but how do they recoup the fee they have laid out for the TV rights (they beat Sky to the rights for that slot!) when they don't have a single advert?

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I love them.They do Champions league in HD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here