Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is ITV dying on its ARSE ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't think of a thing I willingly stay in to watch on ITV. Occasionally the Champions League if there's nothing else on, but even that's with the sound turned to Mute usually.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The recession seems to have concentrated minds wonderfully at ITV as they've made most of the best dramas in the last year.

There was the very witty Lost in Austen for starters. Then there was the series where Martin Freeman became a girl and Rachael Stirling - absolute tosh, of course, but well-made enjoyable tosh. There have been a few decent police series too: the one about the child murders in Yorkshire - A Place of Execution - was one of the best things over the last year. There was also a decent series about a copper on the west coast of Ireland. Quite dark and far removed from Heartbeat territory.

BBC reigns supreme in documentaries but its fictional output has been poor for some time. ITV has been well above it recently,

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Yes, yes they did.

They bought it when it was the biggest thing on the interweb and they thought that they were onto a sure thing. However, they didn't forsee the rise of other social working websites (myspace, facebook, twitter).

Apparently the only profitable bit of friends reunited now is 'genes reunited'.

On a seperate, but related, issue why did they not foresee the rise of a competetor to friends reunited(?) - whatever sector you work in a competitor will eventually arrive on the scene. It all strikes me as slightly shortsighted thinking by ITV.

That's exactly what I was thinking, Strings. It's like paying a fortune for a rare cd collection on Ebay and not selling it on sharpish even when you are aware of the emergence of ipods and MP3 players and the like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I hope it isn't because ITV makes some of the best T.V on any channel.

you are fast becoming my favorite comedy poster on here.

like what exactly?

even when they cover football where you'd think thay couldnt go wrong, they have commentators like Andy "who remembers my career" Townsend and David "i'll just ramble random bollocks and repeat myself every 3 minutes" Pleat. Shite.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Dying on its arse. Last month they put out 2 hours of primetime football Athletico Madrid vs Panathaniakos in a Champions league QUALIFIER!!!! I'd have been interested to see the viewing figures for that. Who the hell negotiated that contract????

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
ITV did do Sharpe didnt they? That was quite good.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dying on its arse. Last month they put out 2 hours of primetime football Athletico Madrid vs Panathaniakos in a Champions league QUALIFIER!!!! I'd have been interested to see the viewing figures for that. Who the hell negotiated that contract????

I'd wager they took a flyer on picking up either Celtic OR Arsenal's qualifying tie once Sky had chosen which tie they were covering. That then went tits up when they were drawn against each other, which Sky of course then snaffled immediately, leaving ITV lumbered with the rest of the stuff nobody cared about.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
you are fast becoming my favorite comedy poster on here.

like what exactly?

even when they cover football where you'd think thay couldnt go wrong, they have commentators like Andy "who remembers my career" Townsend and David "i'll just ramble random bollocks and repeat myself every 3 minutes" Pleat. Shite.

The Bill, Londons Burning, great local news in my area, Morse, Frost, X Factor, Britains Got Talent....

They do a number of really great T.V shows across many genres.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
you're also forgetting the amazing shite that was Primeval, oh and that crock of shit Demons.

ITV blows goats

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I'd wager they took a flyer on picking up either Celtic OR Arsenal's qualifying tie once Sky had chosen which tie they were covering. That then went tits up when they were drawn against each other, which Sky of course then snaffled immediately, leaving ITV lumbered with the rest of the stuff nobody cared about.

I'm sure that's exactly what happened: and the question remains, who the hell negotiated the contract? Gambling with 2 hours of primetime with no opt out clause....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Shortly you will be able to watch ITV1 +1 on satellite :) (6 macro regions available). Viewers in SCO , NI and CI will have to add a version into "other channels" on their Sky box.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Morse, Frost,

i'll give you them, but they are rather old - so the statement they did a number of really great TV shows would be more accurate. come on londons burning? and talent shows are hardly cutting edge television.:laugh:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Yes indeed it is, thanks to them changing the schedule for Corrie and The Bill to every Thursday Night is ridicolous, then placing them with a Harry Potter and a documentary on Harry Potter aswell. I know they've done it for the football and I appreciate that, but why do earlier on in the year!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here