Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time we had a DNA database for everyone in the UK?

DNA database for all?

• Yes.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There's a small part of me that wants to un-ban Hybrid_x just for this one thread.

Hybrid x is alive and well and amongst us as we speak........he seems to be playing the long ball game at the moment.......he will slip up eventually i have no doubt

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you're a normal law abiding citizen then you haven't anything to fear from having your DNA stored a

Ahhh, when I read the thread title I just knew this would be somewhere in the thread - well done for putting it in the first post !

So given, as a law abiding citizen, you have nothing to fear or hide I assume you'll be happy for police to randomly search your house without warning ? Or maybe you'll be happy for random drugs testing of train passengers ? Maybe even you'll be happy to fill in a form each day saying where you'll be and when - if everyone did that it would make it very easy for the police to work out who committed a crime ?

I assume you trust the police and the authorities unreservedly ? That there is no corruption or fitting up ? Just as a single example there are 96 people from Liverpool who are no longer here and who have not had justice due to police corruption. That alone should make you afraid of a compulsory DNA database.

If you do support one why not take the next step and implant RFID chips in to every baby - then the authorities could trace you 24/7/365 - after all, if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to fear ?

What a load of b0llacks !

PS - I'm anything but some leftie !

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Lets try this

lets have a voluntary DNA database scheme first and everyone that is happy/thinks it is public interest to have their DNA on file can do so. Make it a free scheme,vans can come to your workplace or home or you can get a swab at the dentist or GP

then lets see how many people actually voluntary sign up.

Then you can have a proper debate

i wonder if the amount of people saying "if you have nothing to hide" and voluntary signing up would be equal to :wanker:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well, whichever way you look at it, our governments involvement in the Middle East led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people. Genocide may be a bit of a dysphemism, but sadly it is true.
No it isn't true, it is your propaganda, AGAIN.

I was agreeing with you on this topic until you had to start with your anti west spin.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
After seeing last nights programme about rapes we really should have a database. The scum out there is unbelievable. Have any countries in the world have a DNA database?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we had a DNA database some civil servant would probably get drunk and leave a document detailing passwords to it etc. on a late night train :ffsparr:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well said although that argument applies more to gun control and state control of the media. But how exactly is the state going to abuse a DNA data base?

DVLA already sell data they hold - how long before some government minister sees a cost benefit in selling details to insurance companies? ???

A British team has discovered that the standard DNA fingerprints used by police around the world contain a subtle signature which can be linked to a person's susceptibility to type 1 diabetes.

The unexpected finding strikes at the heart of one of the sacred principles of DNA forensic testing - that tests should identify people and link them to crimes but reveal nothing of significance about their genetic make-up, family history or health. That way fingerprints can be collected from suspects and stored on police computers without invading anyone's medical privacy.

The link between the DNA signature and diabetes was confirmed by a team led by John Stead of the University of Leicester last year, but buried in an academic paper on genetics that made no comment about the implications for forensic science.

Team member Alec Jeffreys, the scientist who invented DNA fingerprinting, says he has decided to go public with the finding now because of the British government's plans for a huge expansion of DNA fingerprinting. He believes further troubling links between DNA fingerprints and disease will emerge as scientists probe the completed draft of the human genome.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn694-fingerprint-fear.html

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I have no problem with my DNA being on a database
Mind you I had no problem with ID cards either - after all I, and most drivers I suspect, carry their driving licence around with them all of the time anyway
I may be being naive (before anyone else says it !) but I do believe that if you have no criminal intentions you shouldn't worry about being on such a database.
Slightly off topic has anyone else been watching the BBC2 documentary "The Detectives" about Ray Teret (Jimmy Savile's mate) - quite gripping tv for once

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It'd be far too tough to manage.

I donate my old woolly jumper to the local charity shop.
My old jumper has a couple of small strands of my hair attached.
John Smith purchases my woolly jumper from the charity shop.
John Smith commits a serious crime and leaves my jumper at the scene for whatever reason.
My DNA is found at the scene of the crime.
Police come knocking at my door.
I'm in court.

:eek:

No thanks.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I do believe that if you have no criminal intentions you shouldn't worry about being on such a database.

Can you imagine a situation where a country has a government that supports the "genetic purification" of its population? Would you be happy to have your DNA profile available to them?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think it's a good idea. If you've done nothing wrong then it won't affect you, you just get on with your life

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I have no problem with my DNA being on a database
Mind you I had no problem with ID cards either - after all I, and most drivers I suspect, carry their driving licence around with them all of the time anyway
I may be being naive (before anyone else says it !) but I do believe that if you have no criminal intentions you shouldn't worry about being on such a database.
Slightly off topic has anyone else been watching the BBC2 documentary "The Detectives" about Ray Teret (Jimmy Savile's mate) - quite gripping tv for once
Yes, been watching - DNA very useful in tracing, from victim's fingernails, the rapist in Manchester

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I personnally don't want to be part of a genetic catelogue of citizens of the state.

It's the thin end of a wedge which will only get thicker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here