Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time we had a DNA database for everyone in the UK?

DNA database for all?

• Yes.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've just had a message from Hybrid_X. He said you are ignoring the CLONES that the government have created to spy on us.

Did he transmit that message to you by thought control?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Mansfield rapist left his DNA all over the victim. How much more DNA does one want.

I thought most men could only produce a teaspoon of " DNA " at one time ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am prepared to share my DNA* only with certain specially selected individuals :hilton:.

Some of us have standards.

* euphamism alert :sheep:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It involves trusting the government and authorities, recent allegations about high level interference in investigations, mysterious 'disappearances' of files, souped up dossiers to justify wars and some of the comments coming from the Hillsborough inquiry suggest we cannot rely on government to act honestly unless it is in their, not our, best interests to do so.

Completely this. And that's just the existing duplicitous, lying, stealing scumbags. Imagine what we might have in the future.

It really worries me that some people are happy to sleepwalk into a surveillance society. It's our responsibility as citizens to question authority and protect freedoms not put the yoke round our own necks.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm still vaguely uneasy about it, without being able to come up with any valid reason, apart from it being the death knell of murder mystery novels and detective stories. Not a compelling argument, I know.

Not at all sure how the government could 'abuse' it; it would just instantly identify everyone who was at the scene of a crime and make the first stage of the investigation much quicker and easier. And as for the idea of it being the same as putting surveillance cameras into everyone's living rooms - well, I've read some rubbish on here over the years, but that must be a contender for taking the biscuit!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...And as for the idea of it being the same as putting surveillance cameras into everyone's living rooms - well, I've read some rubbish on here over the years, but that must be a contender for taking the biscuit!

puting cameras every where would achive the objective with far better accuracy and eliminate (virtually) all room for error or mis-identification - DNA puts you in a place, video puts you in a place at a specific time and carrying out an action. anyone who is in favour of DNA should be in favour of extensive surveillence.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why not go further and have a tracking device inserted at birth so that you can be constantly tracked by the authorities. Surely a vote winner for all 1984 supporters.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
puting cameras every where would achive the objective with far better accuracy and eliminate (virtually) all room for error or mis-identification - DNA puts you in a place, video puts you in a place at a specific time and carrying out an action. anyone who is in favour of DNA should be in favour of extensive surveillence.

The UK already has the highest concentration of CCTV cameras in the world.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't care.

I have no intention of raping anyone, killing anyone or other such activities so why would it bother me?
You might have a change of heart.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Gee whizz. Bad people walk the planet. What next? The wheel has been discovered? It is part of the human condition - get over it. I would like to ask the OP and everyone else who has voted in favour of just such a database what they have done to ameliorate the human condition in the last 24 hours, and then balance it against what they have done to make it worse.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If you got nothing to hide we shouldn't be worried and it would help clear up crime,I would also consider identity cards as well. With the threat of terrorism we should give the authority as much help as they need. That's the price we may have to pay for safety !it would also help the authorities in the battle against illegals.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Completely this. And that's just the existing duplicitous, lying, stealing scumbags. Imagine what we might have in the future.

It really worries me that some people are happy to sleepwalk into a surveillance society. It's our responsibility as citizens to question authority and protect freedoms not put the yoke round our own necks.

Well said although that argument applies more to gun control and state control of the media. But how exactly is the state going to abuse a DNA data base?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What threat of terrorism?

Terrorist attacks in the UK are so rare (credit to the police) that you literally have more chance of getting struck by lightning, than you or anyone you know being affected by a terrorist attack.

I genuinely believe that the threat of terrorism is exaggerated by the powers that be for two key reasons: 1) To justify our governments military attacks on the Middle East 2) To convince us that sacrificing our rights and privacy is a good thing. Sadly it works, as is evident time and time again on NSC, such as this thread.

Like others have said, let's not sleepwalk into a surveillance state (or allow the government to continue their genocidal behaviour in the Middle East for that mater).
Genocide? Words fail me!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What threat of terrorism?

terrorist attacks in the UK are so rare(credit to the police) that you literally have more chance of getting struck by lightning, than you or anyone you know being affected by a terrorist attack.

I genuinely believe that the threat of terrorism is exaggerated by the powers that be for two key reasons: 1) To justify our governments military attacks on the Middle East 2) To convince us that sacrificing our rights and privacy is a good thing. Sadly it works, as is evident time and time again on NSC, such as this thread.

Like others have said, let's not sleepwalk into a surveillance state (or allow the government to continue their genocidal behaviour in the Middle East for that mater).

what an astonishing simplistic and selfish post.

do you think the people in this country that are working against the threat of terrorist attacks are simply doing it for the benefit of the UK alone? Do you not think they are communicating with other countries to stop acts of terror in other countries.

the threat of terrorism is a global issue,why are you simply focusing on the UK? Apart from your claim the UK are exaggerating terror threats which other countries are doing the same?Come on dont be shy.I can then compare your list against countries that are not exaggerating the threat of terrorism.

I wonder,do you know how many acts of terror have been carried out globally just this year in the name of the religion Islam(lets not disguise that is what you are referring to).......i suspect you do not have a fracking clue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here