Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it time for the UK to become a republic?

Is it time to become a republic?

• Yes - become a republic

Votes: 189 38.4%
  • No - keep the monarchy

Votes: 306 62.2%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A key characteristic of a nations capital city.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Of course, but a government that keeps promising to level up demonstrates that many areas in the country are neglected and deprived.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Building it in the Midlands wouldn't represent all the country. Not geographically, anyway. The geographic centre of the country is just offshore in Morecambe Bay.

A more reasonable centre to use would be the Population Centre which is somewhere between Leicester and Birmingham.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She seems a completely useless and weak leader-figurehead to me, so exactly what is the point of her?

She’s sat on her throne and watched the Tories risk breaking up the UK with a Scottish referendum, leave the EU, put a border down the country, completely trash the economy, provide fuel to Scottish and Irish independence and had the PM lie to her and party until 4am the day before her husband’s funeral. Some leader.

Get rid.

That's very harsh. She's our Head of State and completely independent of the politics of running the country. She represents the country .... she doesn't lead it. If someone unelected had tried to interfere with the things you highlight then I'd imagine you'd be rather annoyed. After all, I'm pretty sure you've stated your dislike for the House of Lords being unelected - and rightly so - but they DO have a direct relationship with how the country is run. She's managed to remain entirely independent of politics for over 70 years - that's good going in my book - especially given some of the governments we've had in that time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
E469FC4C-C8C3-4335-B4E7-F9DBDF794D62.jpeg

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
could make a lot of money for the nation by converting all those palaces and castles into swanky hotels.

charlie and willy could experince freedom!, and do something rewarding and useful with their lives

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
King Charles III exempt from paying inheritance tax on the vast fortune he inherits from his mum. So that's nice for him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
King Charles III exempt from paying inheritance tax on the vast fortune he inherits from his mum. So that's nice for him.

I guess the reality is though that if you kept taking IHT they would struggle to run the estates which probably employ thousands.

They generate more income through tourism than they cost anyway.

Even the funeral will be generating money into the economy more than the cost.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I guess the reality is though that if you kept taking IHT they would struggle to run the estates which probably employ thousands.

have you the figures to hand?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

IHT is easy to avoid with a little planning and an accountant, he'd follow those rules even if wasnt exempt. pointless tax or needs wholesale overhaul.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Easily dealt with by transferring most of the estates into state hands. I'm paying as little attention to this as possible but I gather that our new monarch is considering giving up Buck P, so there's a start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The tourism is a drop in the ocean compared to the income from the Crown Estates. £385 million every year of which the king gets £85-100 million to pay over 400 staff, and for the upkeep of the residences. The Treasury gains.
Farm produce, rents from homes etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here