Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it time for the UK to become a republic?

Is it time to become a republic?

• Yes - become a republic

Votes: 189 38.4%
  • No - keep the monarchy

Votes: 306 62.2%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm all for an elected head of state but not in isolation. It's pointless have an elected president with an unelected second chamber. And we also need a president with some teeth so he or she is not purely ceremonial.

I like the German model where the president does very little but can act if the chancellor does something that's bang out of order. Someone like Richard von Weizsäcker is the sort of person we want: someone to act as the moral conscience of the nation, to not to get too involved in politics but intervene if necessary (even if against his or her own party).

I'm not sure who the closest example would be in the UK: John Major? Kenneth Clarke? Rory Stewart? Dominic Grieve?

Yeah, but we'd get Farage.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we can all agree that every country needs a head of state then I’ve yet to see a republic that has provided one that’s any where near as impressive, ceremonial, a rallying point, while being completely non political.

Posted just below a perfect example of someone who fits your description

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If we can all agree that every country needs a head of state then I’ve yet to see a republic that has provided one that’s any where near as impressive, ceremonial, a rallying point, while being completely non political.

Then there’s how would a presidential candidate be appointed and for what duration it’s a no for me.

Our current constitutional monarchy is not perfect but it’s a hell of a lot better than any of the alternatives available

it does cost an awful lot of money, but more importantly, it creates huge divisions in our society

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Then there’s how would a presidential candidate be appointed and for what duration it’s a no for me.

Our current constitutional monarchy is not perfect but it’s a hell of a lot better than any of the alternatives available

But as Clive Walker states at #196 the white, christian (CofE) and presumably hetero heirs we already have lined up are not representative of the multi cutural society we live in today. Should any family have such privilege and wealth purely because they, to coin a phrase, popped out of the right vagina at the right time?

No. Not for me.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Whilst I think the idea of a Royal Family, chosen by God and descended from the house of David, born into a position of almost infinite privilege and wealth at the public's expense is a silly idea. I am worried as to what Nicholas Witchel would do without them.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Genuinely surprised 40% voted Republic. Maybe if there was a third option of Reform the Monarchy? Buckingham Palace, a reigning monarch and the Tower of London, are literally the Crown Jewels of this country and keeps us on the world stage in every sense of the word. Long may it continue.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Genuinely surprised 40% voted Republic. Maybe if there was a third option of Reform the Monarchy? Buckingham Palace, a reigning monarch and the Tower of London, are literally the Crown Jewels of this country and keeps us on the world stage in every sense of the word. Long may it continue.
It's a bit like Lewes bonfire night though, loads of grown men dressed up in ridiculous clothes in the name of a serious tradition ..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Don't know about that. he can't beat a man dressed as a dolphin. I'd be more fearful that we'd get Mr Blobby

306162518_2072717629565552_6857916264047935462_n.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's not strictly true. The public lands of the monarchy, which fund the monarch's public responsibilities - i.e. running the government, etc. form the Crown Estates. In 1760, the monarch transferred responsibility for funding civil government to Parliament - and so, since that time, the revenues from the Crown Estates have been transferred to Parliament gfor return of the Royal grant . Since George III each monarch has signed over the Crown lands to the state. Given we don't know what a dissolution of the royals would look like. You make a statement that the Crown Estates belong to them, but the reality is much more complex.

Sandringham and Balmoral are privately owned having been Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales, and Prince Albert respectively. Windsor Castle was built by William the Conqueror of whom the King is directly descended.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst I think the idea of a Royal Family, chosen by God and descended from the house of David, born into a position of almost infinite privilege and wealth at the public's expense is a silly idea. I am worried as to what Nicholas Witchel would do without them.

Hopefully retire.
Some of the rubbish on the BBC is inaccurate. Lord Mountbatten is not the Queen’s cousin, but was Prince Philip’s uncle. Princess Anne’s husband is not Commander Tim Laurence but Admiral Laurence (head of the CWGC).

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

he will read, or learn to paint, or something, anything! it will also liberate the greater royal family to persue something of interest to them, something of some value, something to give some meaning to their wretched lives. true emancipation!

#doitforwitchel

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it does cost an awful lot of money, but more importantly, it creates huge divisions in our society

does it really though? a few will get outraged because of some details or a particular privilege, they dont impact on anyone, or change our lives. money, power, authority, and some having more of those than others create divisions. last time i looked those persist everywhere regardless of monarchy or republic.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
does it really though? a few will get outraged because of some details or a particular privilege, they dont impact on anyone, or change our lives. money, power, authority, and some having more of those than others create divisions. last time i looked those persist everywhere regardless of monarchy or republic.

the aristocracy have just foisted another callous, idiot upon us as pm. of the 56 pm's, 20 went to eton.

so, yes, yes is does create division, and yes, yes is does impact everyone, and change all of our lives.

are you sure you've been paying attention?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'm not a huge Royalist but I like it as part of the identity of the UK.

There's a lot more that can be done for the inequality between the rich and the poor. There's a lot of people who skim off millions and millions from the likes of BP, British Gas, Barclays etc... All to the detriment of the normal working man. They don't do anything for the countries identity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
is he the lunatic that lost us america? we're still paying for that cock up now!

he can cut a deal tho'. presumably he asked himself, "how can i ensure my descendants are feckless and have no purpose in life?"!

He agreed to surrender his income to the Treasury because he got himself into loads of debt.
King Charles said it when swearing his oath at the Proclamation last Saturday at St James.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here