Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it that much better living abroad?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I was born and bred in Ireland but came to England (this time) via Egypt, we had a much better lifestyle there than we do here. The only reason we came back was because my husband started a new business venture and wanted to be in England while it took off. That's done and in the next two years we'll be off. We're looking at property in Luxembourg at the moment, but really I think we'll go back to Egypt for a good few years before Ireland becomes our home for good.

I like England and I like living here, just liked living elsewhere better.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The longer I've lived abroad (19 years and counting), the more I've come to believe that everyone everywhere is already the same, give or take a few superficial cultural differences.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Trufflehound said:
The longer I've lived abroad (19 years and counting), the more I've come to believe that everyone everywhere is already the same, give or take a few superficial cultural differences.

The main difference for me is simply the weather! :lol:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
tedebear said:
The main difference for me is simply the weather! :lol:

Well there is that... But the weather's shit over here too, so I don't notice so much... :lolol:

Edit: Mrs T and I are both agreed that wherever we move to when we eventually leave here, it will be somewhere further SOUTH.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Gwylan said:
I have two Aussie friends in their 40s and two Kiwi friends in their 40s who live here. In fact, one of the sent me a ranting mail yesterday about how much she hates Australia and could never go back there.

There are good points and bad points about living anywhere but as Dorothy so wisely pointed out, there's no place like home.

I know a chap who's almost 40, very late 30's who'd rather live here than Aussie. He was gutted when he had to move back coz his mrs was missing her family.
So you're not alone. I also know plenty of people in their 20's and 30's. There's even an Aussie town in London?

I've always thought the grass is greener is a very true saying.

It's often the same situation with jobs. I've heard people ranting on about the company they work for (and it always sounds familiar), they move elsewhere, and low and behold say the same things again within a year.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Wozza said:
Will your Chelsea tractor fit down the lanes in Ireland?

Of course!

I am still waiting for anyone to suggest a car that I can fit the car seats in on one row and I would downgrade with pleasure.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
Of course!

I am still waiting for anyone to suggest a car that I can fit the car seats in on one row and I would downgrade with pleasure.

There is many a suggestion but you've said yourself you won't fit the car seats in without changing them. So unless you compromise you'll be paying through the teeth for it soon enough...

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
The other thing about moving abroad and it being better is the family side of things. My brother lives in Europe 2 hours flight away. and his kid's having a christening and he wants his family to come over. Half of us either can't afford it, or logistically can't get our family's over to see him. Basically, it's all starting to hit home to him that he'll barely see his family nowadays and is getting homesick after 10 years.

Also, If you live in Brighton the following is true:

Reasonable Beach,
Reasonable mild weather
Close to Gatwick, where flights to most places in the world are easy.
Close to Europe, you can be in france in 2 and a bit hours and can be smoking a joint and sipping fine beers in Holland in not much more by car.
Access is easy to Germany, Spain, Italy, Holland, France, Austria, Belgium. Think of all the histoty and culture we have access to.
Easy and quick travel to the capital i.e. big shows, concerts, the best football in the world.

Need I go on.

If you live in Australia, ok there's mountains and some other good factors like bigger houses, etc, but my god I'd slit my wrists in Boredom after a few years. and that's apart from the fact that i'd never or rarely see my family.

Last edited:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Nope, we won't fit the car seats in so until there is a car we can fit in or Callum out grows his seat and moves to a blb we'll keep the one we have. I like my car, so long as there is food on the table, a roof over our heads and enough spare change in the kitty to pay, we'll keep paying!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
Nope, we won't fit the car seats in so until there is a car we can fit in or Callum out grows his seat and moves to a blb we'll keep the one we have. I like my car, so long as there is food on the table, a roof over our heads and enough spare change in the kitty to pay, we'll keep paying!

Shame though as there are mpv's that'll fit your seats and be far more economical and environmental, but thats your choice.

Stumpy Tim

Big Jim said:
If you live in Australia, ok there's mountains and some other good factors like bigger houses, etc, but my god I'd slit my wrists in Boredom after a few years. and that's apart from the fact that i'd never or rarely see my family.

I don't know anyone who moved to Australia for mountains! Not quite sure people move for bigger houses either as that's not really true either. The reason I love Australia is the people (I don't see the pikey culture over here), & the weather. There's something special about waking up 95% of the year to a bright blue sky... the mood of almost everyone is lifted.

Yes I miss my family, but I do travel with work a lot so that doesn't get to me either. Having said that, I'm considering moving to Asia (Singapore or Kuala Lumpur) later this year - it's all a good experience. I don't see myself coming back to the UK

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Starry said:

In other words, "We're all right jack". :nono:

Funny, I seem to remember you getting very offended when several people previously accused you of having a selfish attitude to the environment.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stumpy Tim said:
There's something special about waking up 95% of the year to a bright blue sky...

Strange: that's probably the single thing that would piss me off.

I love the weather in England; it's great not knowing what sort of day it's going to be, it's great to have proper seasons and it's great not to have worry unduly about skin cancer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here